• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

raven37457

Reaction score
Originally Posted by timpoblete
No reason, just looks more interesting that way.

I think the best fit so far of the Norfolk has been on Raven. Nice and boxy. It calls for a vest or thick sweater underneath and to be left open with the belt hanging.

Thanks all, I wore it today and it is amazing. It is my go to jacket this winter. I had an MJK chambray on with it today and it worked well. Also, I am waiting to get the EG argyle vest to pair with it. I want the EG argyle vests to go on sale at Context! Also, I have a few sweaters and I will post pics with a sweater tomorrow.

Morgan

Reaction score
I concede the stiff white collar - I left my button down collar shirts at the dry cleaners before I moved and haven't restocked. The shirt doesn't jibe with the unconstructed shape of the jacket. I will take the board's advice and try it with a sweater instead. I stand by the buttoning, though - it was really cold and wet out, and this is a functional coat. I put on gloves right after snapping the photo.

Raven's jacket fits great and he wears it well, and I realize his shirt is a casual flannel with a squared-off hem, but I can't abide the untucked shirt peeking out from the below his jacket. To be clear, I think denim, chambray, and flannel shirts can be untucked if worn as the outer layer, but it looks a little disheveled protruding from beneath a jacket. That may be what he's going for but I shoot for a slightly cleaner fit.

raven37457

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
I concede the stiff white collar - I left my button down collar shirts at the dry cleaners before I moved and haven't restocked. The shirt doesn't jibe with the unconstructed shape of the jacket. I will take the board's advice and try it with a sweater instead. I stand by the buttoning, though - it was really cold and wet out, and this is a functional coat. I put on gloves right after snapping the photo. Raven's jacket fits great and he wears it well, and I realize his shirt is a casual flannel with a squared-off hem, but I can't abide the untucked shirt peeking out from the below his jacket. To be clear, I think denim, chambray, and flannel shirts can be untucked if worn as the outer layer, but it looks a little disheveled protruding from beneath a jacket. That may be what he's going for but I shoot for a slightly cleaner fit.
I opt for both casual and cleaner fits, I have no preference. It all depends on how I feel that particular day. I agree with your comments about the flannel protruding from beneath the jacket. It does look sloppy. However, the flannel was untucked because I was taking fit pics. I disagree with your comments about denim, chambray, and flannel shirts only being untucked if worn as the outer layer. I think it all depends upon the length of the shirt compared to the individuals body proportion. For example, my MJK chambray is short and it does not protrude from beneath the jacket. In this case, I see no reason to tuck in the shirt but as they say different strokes for different folks. Also, I love this look (as timpo previously stated a vest would look great): http://wtdwe.ocnk.net/zoom/74252

heprof

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Woofers
Anyone have photos of the grey CPO, would love to see it 'in the field'...

Kinda grey and kinda in the field:

catch.jpg

JO3B

Reaction score
i'm still so up in the air about the cord norfolk. whenever i try it on i fall in love with it. but on paper it doesn't seem like a versatile enough peice.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JO3B
i'm still so up in the air about the cord norfolk. whenever i try it on i fall in love with it. but on paper it doesn't seem like a versatile enough peice.

I'm totally with you on that, I never looked at the cord norfolk twice in the pics or threads where it apeared but when I tried it on at Barneys, I loved it.
I think the dark cholate brown just doesnt show all the patchwork and details well in pics, but irl its pretty nice indeed.

If it wasnt for the fact that it was a small and I was also stuck on trying to get the wool norfolk first, I would've bought it, and the more I think about it, the more I think I need to secure that one while its on sale just in case I never get a shot at the wool version.
I'm gonna call Barneys and ask if they even carried the norfolk in xs, and if so, are there any still available.

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morgan, I'm not into the whole untucked shirt thing either in that last pick of the Norfolk. I was just pointing out that the jacket itself looks best in that state.

3b0c9147.jpg

3f68e9d7.jpg

EG FW08 Diagonal Wool Parka
Sandro FW08 Cardigan
EG FW09 Tab Collar Shirt
EG Quick-Release Belt
EG FW07 Homespun Wool Pants
Russell Moccasins Chukka

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^man I really like those grey HS wool pants, wish I could still get those somehow, and that wool parka looks great too, I wanted to get the 09 version of that parka but didint seem as thick as last years, so I passed on it.

btw- anybody seen the cord norfolk in xs at any barneys? or does anybody even know if Barneys carried that norfolk in xs?

I called 3 Barneys already and 2 dont carry EG and the other was out of the norfolk so they cant scan the tag and tell me invetory or what was the smallest sixe they carry it in, I know madison had it 2 weeks ago but nobody is answering the phone dammit
confused.gif

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing special, just wanted to keep the thread going.
IMG_1356.jpg
Weldon shirt, and field vest

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Looking good Toru, is that a shawl coller vest? does it have 2-way front zipper? I like it!

Originally Posted by afranzheim
Pretty happy with the Wool Denim...warm as hell too!
FW09 Andover / SS09 Chambray Workshirt

That looks nice afran, I've never seem the wool denim irl, would you say its as warm as regular wool tweed? or less than that?

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah, it's got a shawl collar and a two way zipper. It was a pretty popular piece from last year that I think a lot of people on this forum have.

afranzheim

Reaction score
Originally Posted by canstyleace
That looks nice afran, I've never seem the wool denim irl, would you say its as warm as regular wool tweed? or less than that?

It is slightly heavier than the wool tweed that EG used in the Baker this season. The twill of the "Black Wool Denim" is made up of black and gold threads which has a unique brownish appearance IRL. The texture is rather slubby too!

^^The field vest is such a great piece. Works really well with the wool denim. I wonder who is selling the field vest this season? Def. one of the better EG piece IMO.

nakedundermyclothes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ToruOkada
Nothing special, just wanted to keep the thread going.
Weldon shirt, and field vest

looks great

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ToruOkada
Thanks! Yeah, it's got a shawl collar and a two way zipper. It was a pretty popular piece from last year that I think a lot of people on this forum have.

Sadly I didnt even know about EG last year ;-( but I needs to get me a nice vest soon.

Originally Posted by afranzheim
It is slightly heavier than the wool tweed that EG used in the Baker this season. The twill of the "Black Wool Denim" is made up of black and gold threads which has a unique brownish appearance IRL. The texture is rather slubby too!

Wow, I'm pretty surpriced to read this, I always thought that the wool denim would be a thinner version, and not as warm, as the equivalent, or similar, wool tweed items, but very good to know this though, thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads