• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Balmoral Boot in the works

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good to me. I'd love to get a Park or 5th Avenue style boot. I also agree about the new sockliner. I have one pair of PA's with the new liner and they are not nearly as comfortable as my other two pair of PA's or any other pair of AE's I own.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Considering they've been cutting corners lately (or so it looks to me), I'd rather they focus on quality and develop a strong set of core offerings before trying to capture lightning in a bottle. The odds of an almost obsolete shoe style becoming the next big thing, or even a major seller, strike me as remarkably slim. Personally, I'd be more likely to buy from them if they offered more Strands and fewer far-out shoes in hoping of tapping a market niche that probably doesn't exist. They're going to offer a bal boot but they don't even offer a simple blucher boot like the Coniston? Really?

I love old-school American shoes, and AE could be making those, but instead it devotes its time to stuff like this. Always chasing trends, rarely doing them well. Even as its perennial No. 1 seller is its most conservative offering, effectively unchanged for decades. It makes me a bit sad.

Buck-it-up, Pilgrim....and take that Sinatra, "In the Wee Small Hours" lp off the turntable, and cork that Cutty. Things will be brighter, tomorrow.
smile.gif

Sir James

Reaction score
I have no interest in a balmoral boot from any maker, but this is the type of thing that can't be off. I lack confidence that AE will deliver the goods. To look on the bright side, maybe an added clunkiness will make the boot more wearable, not less.

I'd lay dollars to donuts the model doesn't make it through a year. Don't wait too long to pick it up, because it won't be around very long.

AE really, really shouldn't be taken its design direction from AA. How many people outside the clothing forums would consider buying such a thing? Before AE starts with esoteric models for niche hobbyists, it should look into offering some classic styles on attractive lasts.

Amen Doc, you hit the nail right on the head!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this new AE boot is to my liking I'll buy one pair in each finish.

Dear Doc,
It would have been more interesting if you would have made a list, point by point what AE could do to win you over on a boot model. That would be far more interesting to read and also the AE gods may take note.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
If this new AE boot is to my liking I'll buy one pair in each finish.

Dear Doc,
It would have been more interesting if you would have made a list, point by point what AE could do to win you over on a boot model. That would be far more interesting to read and also the AE gods may take note.

Point 1: Offer a plain captoe blucher boot, the sort of classic, rugged design that would work well with AE's trademark clunky heel.

There ends the list.

pdial

Reaction score
Point 1: Offer a plain captoe blucher boot, the sort of classic, rugged design that would work well with AE's trademark clunky heel.

There ends the list.

+1

AE really just needs to learn one thing.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^I would prefer a punch cap.
I think this is my problem with it. Or, more specifically, AE's problem. They lack a core direction. It always seems like they're trying everything, without focusing on their strengths. It's not that I object to AE making bal boots per se, and I don't begrudge bal boot fans this offering. But looking at the devastation of the American shoemaking industry, and knowing how hard it is for a company like AE to survive these days, it just seems like a shakey way of doing business.
No disagreement there. I think having a core group of standard offerings makes more sense to me (a la Alden). Perhaps on top of that you could have a secondary group of classics that could be offered on a rotating basis every few years. Then throw in your experimental models. I don't know what sort of input their bigger customers like Nordstrom and JAB have. Perhaps they demand a lot of model church.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested as long as such a boot is not on the same last as the AE Park Avenues.
I find that to be a incredible "flat" last, with next to no instep height.
I tried on something ridiculous like a EEE fitting to see if I could get some additional room for my instep and it still felt as though the shoe was crushing the top of my foot.

Albern

Reaction score
I could be interested in this. Hopefully it will be along the lines of an EG Shannon or Rider captoe.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering they've been cutting corners lately (or so it looks to me), I'd rather they focus on quality and develop a strong set of core offerings before trying to capture lightning in a bottle. The odds of an almost obsolete shoe style becoming the next big thing, or even a major seller, strike me as remarkably slim. Personally, I'd be more likely to buy from them if they offered more Strands and fewer far-out shoes in hoping of tapping a market niche that probably doesn't exist. They're going to offer a bal boot but they don't even offer a simple blucher boot like the Coniston? Really?

I love old-school American shoes, and AE could be making those, but instead it devotes its time to stuff like this. Always chasing trends, rarely doing them well. Even as its perennial No. 1 seller is its most conservative offering, effectively unchanged for decades. It makes me a bit sad.

Funny you brought this up.....and interesting to see they are making a play in boots.

Last month I called them and asked if they were interested in getting together for a little collaboration. I said I had some ideas, but we would have to get rid of some of the components they turned to if I was going to put my name on anything......I would want leather welts instead of the pvc they use now, 270 degree not 360, Rendenbach soles in place of the chipboard soles and a different leather insole and the old linen/cotton thread in place of the poly thread they use now. They never called me back.....lol. The rep, who is a first-rate guy, asked some questions that indicated to me they really don't have a clue how to work a niche business.......they need volume. For a factory that needs volume, this sort of pattern is probably a waste of time and production, IMO. It's a niche item.....guys like me.

Anyway, I am nobody, so it doesn't surprise me they never called to discuss.....it was just an idea I had and I thought I could help them clean up some pattern work using my stylist in Italy for the pattern sketching and pattern cutting - and my ideas for material usage. But, they don't need me.

I think it is interesting to observe A/E and how they get thru the next few seasons being run by non-shoe people.....marketing guys are now in charge with absolutely NO shoe experience.....with the market as it is, and comparing it to Alden, who seems to be weathering the storm fairly well. I hope I am wrong......I just have a feeling I've seen this movie before - it was called 'Johnston & Murphy - How to Destroy a Brand'.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going up to Port Washington, Wisconsin on December 22nd to tour the AE factory with some other Chicago sartorialist , and CEO Paul Grangaard will show us the 2010 line-up. We will undoubtedly bring up the demand for ankle boots.

Francisco d'Anconia received a pair of Malvern chukkas with a leather sole replacing the standard danite sole and they're very sweet.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RIDER
Funny you brought this up.....and interesting to see they are making a play in boots.

Last month I called them and asked if they were interested in getting together for a little collaboration. I said I had some ideas, but we would have to get rid of some of the components they turned to if I was going to put my name on anything......I would want leather welts instead of the pvc they use now, 270 degree not 360, Rendenbach soles in place of the chipboard soles and a different leather insole and the old linen/cotton thread in place of the poly thread they use now. They never called me back.....lol. The rep, who is a first-rate guy, asked some questions that indicated to me they really don't have a clue how to work a niche business.......they need volume. For a factory that needs volume, this sort of pattern is probably a waste of time and production, IMO. It's a niche item.....guys like me.

Anyway, I am nobody, so it doesn't surprise me they never called to discuss.....it was just an idea I had and I thought I could help them clean up some pattern work using my stylist in Italy for the pattern sketching and pattern cutting - and my ideas for material usage. But, they don't need me.

I think it is interesting to observe A/E and how they get thru the next few seasons being run by non-shoe people.....marketing guys are now in charge with absolutely NO shoe experience.....with the market as it is, and comparing it to Alden, who seems to be weathering the storm fairly well. I hope I am wrong......I just have a feeling I've seen this movie before - it was called 'Johnston & Murphy - How to Destroy a Brand'.

^LOL @ J+M

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads