• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Any reputable tailor can do it. No different than any other garment.

Thanks. I bought it way before SF or before I was "into" style. Just looked it up and it appears that I have the Schott Classic 32 Oz. Melton Wool Naval Pea Coat.

SLeiber32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Thanks. I bought it way before SF or before I was "into" style. Just looked it up and it appears that I have the Schott Classic 32 Oz. Melton Wool Naval Pea Coat.

Nice pick if you had no "style" knowledge at the time. I looked at possibly getting one of those. Looked like pretty awesome jackets from what I saw but for my meager budget the call of the Sterlingwear was too much to fight lol

basho

Reaction score
How long should peacoat sleeves be? Where should the cuff end on my hand? I'm trying to figure out if I'm a 34L or 34XL.

PolePosition

Reaction score
I just got my Sterlingwear Authentic today. I love it. Its not as heavy as my actual Navy peacoat, but it fits better and looks good as a result.

My jacket size is 38 but I sized down one to 36R for the peacoat and it is spot on (I'm 37ish" chest and about 145lbs). Fits well overall and enough room to layer. Any bigger or smaller would be off in the shoulders and the body is sized well to use it as a winter coat.

bb714

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PolePosition
I just got my Sterlingwear Authentic today. I love it. Its not as heavy as my actual Navy peacoat, but it fits better and looks good as a result.

My jacket size is 38 but I sized down one to 36R for the peacoat and it is spot on (I'm 37ish" chest and about 145lbs). Fits well overall and enough room to layer. Any bigger or smaller would be off in the shoulders and the body is sized well to use it as a winter coat.

Awesome! Any chance for some fit pics?

SLeiber32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by basho
How long should peacoat sleeves be? Where should the cuff end on my hand? I'm trying to figure out if I'm a 34L or 34XL.

Sleeves should hit between the wrist and where your thumb meets you hand. Keep in mind the Sterlingwear measurements on their site are from the bottom of the armhole down.

Originally Posted by bb714
Awesome! Any chance for some fit pics?

Yeah sorry I have been busy but I hope to get some up soon.

On a side note, does anyone find the Sterlingwears to be terribly itchy on the neck, especially with the collar popped? Mine has been bothering the hell out of me. Open to any suggestions to make the wool less itchy.

P.S. Don't say a scarf, that's pretty obvious
laugh.gif

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a problem with their center vent flaring out on their pea coats? Mine isn't a tight fit by any means yet the vent sticks out like a ducktail. Would like to know the cause of this and how to fix it!

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
Anyone have a problem with their center vent flaring out on their pea coats? Mine isn't a tight fit by any means yet the vent sticks out like a ducktail. Would like to know the cause of this and how to fix it!

yeah i wonder if a tailor could fix this ... a lot of the WvG guys who are complaining about the flaring could definitely benefit from this knowledge

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HOT Sriracha
Dont know if this japanese link has been posted, but some good detailed pics of the colors.

http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/jalana...wear/raku.html

Going for a oxford grey this week!

Yeah, someone posted that a ways back. These guys are perfect examples of how Schott and Sterlingwear can look amazing. I can find absolutely nothing wrong with their fits.

4oqz5.jpg

adidasaj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dls6128
Here's a fit pic I posted in WAYWT a few days ago:

2nbvi9k.jpg

I'm 6'1, 37" chest, with long arms (shirts with 25-26" sleeves fit me best). I sized down to a 34XL.

Are the measurements on their website inaccurate?

I'm very similar build. Almost exact, maybe.

And I would have thought to order a 40L.... my chest is about 37" and the website says a 40L has a 38" chest. So with a sweater, wouldn't the 40L be snug in my chest? The 34XL has a chest of 32" ... how can a 37" even fit in that, let alone not climb up if you lift your arms.

I mean, your fit looks good there... But being tall/skinny, I know how deceiving a small size can be -- look good from the right angle in the front, but look way to small from farther away and have no freedom of movement.

Genuinely curious
smile.gif
If mine looks like that, I'd be happy. A 37" chest fitting into a 32" chhest just seems confusing.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Yeah, someone posted that a ways back. These guys are perfect examples of how Schott and Sterlingwear can look amazing. I can find absolutely nothing wrong with their fits.
4oqz5.jpg

Ooo that tan is nice. I need a really light colored winter coat on the cheap, since I won't be wearing it too often so I may pick one up. I'm also curious as to the sizing, as I don't trust any website where the models are clearly wearing the wrong size garment.

dls6128

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adidasaj
Are the measurements on their website inaccurate?

I'm very similar build. Almost exact, maybe.

And I would have thought to order a 40L.... my chest is about 37" and the website says a 40L has a 38" chest. So with a sweater, wouldn't the 40L be snug in my chest? The 34XL has a chest of 32" ... how can a 37" even fit in that, let alone not climb up if you lift your arms.

I mean, your fit looks good there... But being tall/skinny, I know how deceiving a small size can be -- look good from the right angle in the front, but look way to small from farther away and have no freedom of movement.

Genuinely curious
smile.gif
If mine looks like that, I'd be happy. A 37" chest fitting into a 32" chhest just seems confusing.

The numbers on their website are not measurements; they are recommendations for the average person, who probably wears their clothing oversized. That being said, I would not necessarily recommend sizing down as much as I did. I use my peacoat as a lighter jacket (I have a heavy duffel coat that I wear when I need more protection), and I don't wear anything heavier than a light sweater under it. If I wanted to layer under it, I would have ordered a 36XL.

It might be wise to order both sizes and return one.

adidasaj

Reaction score
So the 34XL generally fits good, as long as you don't have much on under it? When you lift your arms, the shoulders don't ride up? I mean, I expect some restriction of movement with a slim fit, but I have a bad experience with a Small coat that would constantly ride up if my arms raised at all.

Thanks for fast reply BTW.

OK cool. I think I may... that .ca website has a great sale on the Navigators right now, and the official website just replied saying they do ship to Canada. Maybe I'll get a 36XL in the main colour I want, and maybe try another size in the camel. If the camel fits decent, too, as a no-layering-worn coat, I could keep, too. I'd really like a black and light one anyhow...

My current coat is just a typical large collared coat, and my old pea coat from Le Chateau here in Canada is way too small. I'm a big fan of tan Burberry trenches so I've really wanted a tan or camel winter pea as well (but much cheaper... I can only afford so many premier 'staple' items as a student).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads