• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Balmoral Boot in the works

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Pretty momentous news published in AAAC.

Originally Posted by AllenEdmondsCEO
You're in luck - Two new dress lace-up boots are in final stages of development for introduction for the Fall season next year. They look great, too. One is similar to the boot we made for characters in the movie Titanic. The other is a balmoral captoe. Requests on Ask Andy definitely inspired our efforts.

Best wishes,
Paul

Sounds like (and I am praying it will be) on the 5 last. [It has to be on the 5 last.
worship.gif
]

I am envisioning a Park Avenue frame built into a full top dress boot. Sleek, fitted - great under a suit but able to shrug off slush and rain (when properly pre-treated
wink.gif
).

This product would be completely unique among US manufacturers.

Finally, the prospect of a readily available, affordable balmoral captoe dress boot in a variety of colors!

Black would be an ideal staple but can you imagine a dark brown or merlot? Insane! Think of the possibilities. Chestnut or Brandy for the spring/summer... Special order in shell cordovan... Special order with medallion instead of captoe... I am drooling.

Ugh, I just don't want to wait until next fall to get them.

Maybe if enough people express interest, we can get a pre-order or advance delivery thing happening?

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really wish AE would go back to the old sockliner they used to use, it was great.

The newer hard black liner is terrible IMO. I know they recently modified it to be a little more forgiving, but I still think its a miss.

Look forward to their new offerings..

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
Dear AE,

Please find a way not to f*ck this one up with trendy modern soles, superfluous stitching, randomly located perfs, or a general blobby appearance.

Yours Truly,

Henry P. Boogers

Please make them on the new 270 welt. Actually, just drop the 360 welt altogether and start making all AE shoes on the 270!

Originally Posted by Steven Aver
I really wish AE would go back to the old sockliner they used to use, it was great.

The newer hard black liner is terrible IMO. I know they recently modified it to be a little more forgiving, but I still think its a miss.

Look forward to their new offerings..

I think the problem is that they don't use a sockliner at all.
confused.gif
I don't have any AEs with the black insides; mine have the (old) stiff beige/tan leather/board that's a few mm thick.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree about the black foot board. I'm wearing a pair of Manhattan's now that aren't nearly as comfortable as the PAs and Fairfaxes I have from 5 years ago. Those shoes feel like sneakers, these much less.

Jmca1

Reaction score
I remember seeing a pair of AE boots on here from another member and wanting them pretty bad. Needless to say, not many SF members have an 11.5e or 12d they are willing to part with. I really, really hope AE doesn't mess this up. Ill keep a look out

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have no interest in a balmoral boot from any maker, but this is the type of thing that can't be off. I lack confidence that AE will deliver the goods. To look on the bright side, maybe an added clunkiness will make the boot more wearable, not less.

I'd lay dollars to donuts the model doesn't make it through a year. Don't wait too long to pick it up, because it won't be around very long.

AE really, really shouldn't be taken its design direction from AA. How many people outside the clothing forums would consider buying such a thing? Before AE starts with esoteric models for niche hobbyists, it should look into offering some classic styles on attractive lasts.

ferguscan

Reaction score
I hope they make it a true balmoral boot, unlike the Brantley.

Second, I hope they offer the option of contrasting uppers.

Unless they screw it up, I will buy at least one pair.

R-H

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'd lay dollars to donuts the model doesn't make it through a year. Don't wait too long to pick it up, because it won't be around very long.

AE really, really shouldn't be taken its design direction from AA. How many people outside the clothing forums would consider buying such a thing? Before AE starts with esoteric models for niche hobbyists, it should look into offering some classic styles on attractive lasts.

I'd settle for classic styles on mediocre lasts, but you are exactly right. +1111111

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday

They have to get new ideas from someplace. Why not try something that seems to have at least a cult following and hope it catches on? It's just a shoe model; I doubt heads will roll if it flops.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Considering they've been cutting corners lately (or so it looks to me), I'd rather they focus on quality and develop a strong set of core offerings before trying to capture lightning in a bottle. The odds of an almost obsolete shoe style becoming the next big thing, or even a major seller, strike me as remarkably slim. Personally, I'd be more likely to buy from them if they offered more Strands and fewer far-out shoes in hoping of tapping a market niche that probably doesn't exist. They're going to offer a bal boot but they don't even offer a simple blucher boot like the Coniston? Really?

I love old-school American shoes, and AE could be making those, but instead it devotes its time to stuff like this. Always chasing trends, rarely doing them well. Even as its perennial No. 1 seller is its most conservative offering, effectively unchanged for decades. It makes me a bit sad.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Considering all the new models they come up with every year just to throw on the wall to see if it sticks, I don't see why getting a bal boot out them is a bad thing. They have offered bal boots in the relatively recent past, too, so I'd think they'd have some idea of sales possibilities.

And I plan to get a pair so long as they don't blow it. Something like a boot version of the Fifth Avenue would be just about right.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Considering all the new models they come up with every year just to throw on the wall to see if it sticks

I think this is my problem with it. Or, more specifically, AE's problem. They lack a core direction. It always seems like they're trying everything, without focusing on their strengths.

It's not that I object to AE making bal boots per se, and I don't begrudge bal boot fans this offering. But looking at the devastation of the American shoemaking industry, and knowing how hard it is for a company like AE to survive these days, it just seems like a shakey way of doing business.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads