• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how would you improve ebay?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are so many threads on here complaining about Ebay. Yet, there is free competition from Craigslist. Why is Ebay still so widely used? Why hasn't everyone switched to Craigslist? Is the regional nature of Craigslist a deterent?

What would you do to make Ebay better?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scrap it and start over.

I now use only the local news station's free online classifieds. It's so much easier all around.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mandatory death penalty for seller/buyers who scam.

And not the American 'death penalty' dragged out over multiple appeals and many decades mind you. When I say 'death penalty' I mean Chinese death penalty, which is served, oh, maybe 30 mins after conviction via a single bullet to the back of the head. Which is then billed to the perp's family.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Craigslist is great, and I browse it often, but it's really only useful for selling items with wide appeal at relatively low prices. Furniture, for example. But I can't imagine higher-end men's clothing would fare well, except maybe in the largest of cities. Other such niche items take the reach of a major auction site. Unfortunately, eBay effectively has a monopoly on that market. The other sites have too little traffic to make them worthwhile.

cold war painter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
how would you improve ebay?

Thermite.

Seriously though, two or three companies able to mount reasonable competition would probably sort everything out.

eztantz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cold war painter
Seriously though, two or three companies able to mount reasonable competition would probably sort everything out.

+ 1

Why did google checkout never take off - they have the capability to put ebay/paypal off the map.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nuke-it-from-orbit.jpg

doubleb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Let me leave a neg for those paypal scamming, non-paying, time wasting motherfuckers again. God I miss that feeling.

+1

I'd also allow the options to pay via different payment methods not just Crappy Paypal

cimabue

Reaction score
Very simple.

Cut PayPal loose.

They are, 1.) unprofitable and 2.) annoying to everyone, including the people at Ebay.

They don't want to be in the consumer transaction business and, well, they hate you, too.

And let's face it, the cozy little trust between Ebay and PayPal is probably illegal anyway. Did you know you can't take a check or money order for your transactions now? You have to use PayPal.

Pull the trigger Ebay, you know you want to (and no court in the world would convict you for doing so).

spencers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
Very simple.

Cut PayPal loose.

They are, 1.) unprofitable and 2.) annoying to everyone, including the people at Ebay.

They don't want to be in the consumer transaction business and, well, they hate you, too.

And let's face it, the cozy little trust between Ebay and PayPal is probably illegal anyway. Did you know you can't take a check or money order for your transactions now? You have to use PayPal.

Pull the trigger Ebay, you know you want to (and no court in the world would convict you for doing so).

Ebay owns Paypal

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spencers
Ebay owns Paypal
Understood. But they function separately. 'Scrape them off their shoes, I say.

butterflystyle

Reaction score

Ebay owns Paypal

imhotep

Reaction score

yeah i don't think you understand the huge benefit that ebay has having it's own payment system, where they can charge you whatever the hell they want and operate in as poor a way as they want. notice how paypal is the only method of payment allowed now? mention that you accept MO's in your auction, and it will be pulled.

workout the amount of money that ebay is making per sale, including what they get from listing fees + final value fees + paypal fees. their cut is enormous, in part because they own the payment system.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads