• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public university vs. land grant university

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
What exactly is the difference between these two? I am from Connecticut and we have four schools in our "state school" system:

- Western Connecticut State University
- Eastern Connecticut State University
- Central Connecticut State University
- Southern Connecticut State University

Then, we have the University of Connecticut (which is home to the states most famous sports teams =/ ). I have never heard of UConn referred to as a "state school", so my question is what is the difference?

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
State schools are given monetary grants (in addition to land, oftentimes), whereas "land grant" schools are just what the name implies, schools that are granted land. In PA we have 13 State schools and 2 land-grant, PSU and Temple. Land Grant State University

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
So the state schools are essentially bank-rolled by the state (minus what they get from students for tuition etc) whereas land grant universities just get a bunch of land from the state, which then tells it to go on its merry way?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
a public university is supported by funding from the government (and thus, the public), while private colleges are supported independently (they they may very well receive research funding and tax breaks)

Land Grant universities were established with the help of the Morrill acts in the late 1800's and they are entitled to receive certain benefits for education in things like agriculture (stuff meant for the 'improvement' of a state). Not all land grant universities are public, Cornell and MIT are both land grant universities in their respective states.

and UConn is a state school.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArteEtLabore14
So the state schools are essentially bank-rolled by the state (minus what they get from students for tuition etc) whereas land grant universities just get a bunch of land from the state, which then tells it to go on its merry way?

no, land grant schools just get the added benefit of the land and entitlements from the Morrill act. In exchange, they have to continue to educate on a few topics deemed important for the general livelyhood of the state.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless I am mistaken or things have changed, land grant colleges and universities have to offer military training, e.g., ROTC. In my days at UCLA two years of ROTC were compulsory for all able bodied male students who were U.S. citizens and who had not had prior military service.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
perhaps, I don't know much about the military link. I know Cornell doesn't require military service but they do have ROTC on campus.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Land-grant universities were created by the Morrill Act, which was 1864 or something like that. They tend to be the oldest and most prestigious public unis, with notable exceptions.

Land-grant universities are public universities.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
2 exceptons (MIT and Cornell)
Correct, though Cornell does still have colleges that are publicly funded. But it's nonetheless a private school.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Land-grant schools are usually identified by "...State University" in their name. These are generally the "ag" schools.
Moo U and all that sort of stuff.

Iowa State
Oklahoma State
North Dakota State
et al

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
and UConn is a state school.

Well from what I've read a 'state school' is a "colloquial term for a state university." Since the University of Connecticut is not a part of the Connecticut State University System (which is comprised of WCSU, ECSU, CCSU, & SCSU) that would mean that it is in fact not a state school.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Correct, though Cornell does still have colleges that are publicly funded. But it's nonetheless a private school.

Cornell's are only partially funded by the state, they're still privately owned and operated. It gets complex, I had to learn a bunch of this **** when I worked in admissions. NY State seems to have cut their funding quite a bit over the last few years so Cornell has had to boost private funding quite a bit.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Land-grant universities were created by the Morrill Act, which was 1864 or something like that. They tend to be the oldest and most prestigious public unis, with notable exceptions. Land-grant universities are public universities.
Um, no. Land grant schools are more likely to be cow colleges; teaching agriculture, engineering, etc. They were created by a young-ish country to help drive the industrial revolution along (and because we had a lot of land to give away). This coincided with the shift towards the German research institution model, and away from merely learning by recitation or in the classical styles. They were more likely to create engineers and industrialists, not attorneys or politicians. And when medicine and pharmacy schools were created, they were more likely to go to the flagship, pre-Morrell Act schools. The most prestigious public universities were those which began in the classic style. The University of Michigan, UNC, UVA, UGA, Tennessee, Alabama, etc. A notable exception is the University of Texas in Austin; which was the second state university in Texas (A&M was first, and the landgrant school) however it became the more prestigious. Berkeley was a Morrell Act school that ceded it's responsibilities under the act to some other UC school so that it could pursue a more liberal arts/law/etc curriculum. And, it's a perennial top 5 public university now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads