• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the most awesome room I have ever seen

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I think you guys need to get our more.

Then start posting phone numbers of the women in your pics.
smile.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
It's funny that Andre facepalms me for suggesting that musicians have the worst systems as a rule. That's so accepted in the recording world that even the musicians regularly joke about it. There are great exceptions but it is quite true as a rule.

That sounds like a consensus to me.

--Andre

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
hans+fall.jpg

Originally Posted by Teger
do you and he share a tailor?
John Phillips, London. I have two myself. Rumor has it Arafat buys his there.

milosh

Reaction score
The woofers look cheap; there are too many of them; they don't look time-aligned; and generally musicians have the worst sounding systems. For pro systems, generally the only ones I like are Lipinski and ATC. Could it still sound good? Sure, but its doubtful based on my experience.
Those are Volt driver units if I'm not mistaken. They are excellent performers. Certainly not cheap. Edit: Yup, http://www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk/.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosh
Those are Volt driver units if I'm not mistaken. They are excellent performers. Certainly not cheap.

Edit: Yup, http://www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk/.

They look strange to me and typically having a cage in front of the driver is problematic. Have they been reviewed anywhere of note?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look strange to me and typically having a cage in front of the driver is problematic. Have they been reviewed anywhere of note?

facepalm.gif
When in a hole, it's usually wise to stop digging.

--Andre

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
facepalm.gif
When in a hole, it's usually wise to stop digging. --Andre

What speakers in a cage sound good to you? Honestly I am not aware of any. Most of the tech is around making a light but stiff cone for the woofer like the material in Wilson Audio and JM Lab drivers. Typically the cage is behind the driver used for support.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What speakers in a cage sound good to you? Honestly I am not aware of any. Most of the tech is around making a light but stiff cone for the woofer like the material in Wilson Audio and JM Lab drivers.

Typically the cage is behind the driver used for support.

Af, you're making a tempest in a styrofoam cup.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What speakers in a cage sound good to you? Honestly I am not aware of any. Most of the tech is around making a light but stiff cone for the woofer like the material in Wilson Audio and JM Lab drivers.

Typically the cage is behind the driver used for support.

That is the point exactly. Volt has a patent on external chassis support, so there is no other way you could have heard a woofer with an external cage unless you've listened to Volt drivers. Since by your own admission, you haven't, you were just making things up when you said "typically having a cage in front of the driver is problematic."

And you are misinformed if you think "most of the tech" in making a state-of-the-art woofer is in the cone material, but if Wilson and JM Lab drivers are considered advanced technology, then I can see why you might think that way.

--Andre

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
That is the point exactly. Volt has a patent on external chassis support, so there is no other way you could have heard a woofer with an external cage unless you've listened to Volt drivers. Since by your own admission, you haven't, you were just making things up when you said "typically having a cage in front of the driver is problematic."

And you are misinformed if you think "most of the tech" in making a state-of-the-art woofer is in the cone material, but if Wilson and JM Lab drivers are considered advanced technology, then I can see why you might think that way.

--Andre

You are the only person I know who doesn't give JM Labs and Wilson Audio some respect on their driver cone technology.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics