• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rammie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
You are not man enough for double sole.
bigstar[1].gif

laugh.gif
I think it looks good with a double sole on many of vass' styles as it adds that hefty and solid feel to the shoe, but it's the taper that bothers me. I think it puts off the balance of the shoe in a way I really can't describe. I'm thinking about a double monk strap on the F-last but I'm having trouble choosing which leather color to choose. I've narrowed it down to dark or antique cognac but they seem so similar in all the images I've seen. Is the antique cognac darker than the dark cognac? What are the differences between these colors? I'm also thinking about whiskey cordovan but that isn't something you can get from Vass without providing for the leather yourself, right?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rammie
I think it looks good with a double sole on many of vass' styles as it adds that hefty and solid feel to the shoe, but it's the tapering thing that bothers me. It puts off the balance of the shoe in a way I really can't describe.
I think the word you're looking for is "elegant" ?
smile.gif

Omega Man

Reaction score
Hey rammie,

I have both the anitque cognac and the dark cognac. The dark cognac is much darker. To provide you with some reference, the antique cognac is a little darker than EG's Burnt Pine. The dark cognac is like EG's dark oak.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
smile.gif

...don't think so. esp. with the smaller sizes i.e. vox and the hkg gang
smile.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
smile.gif

You don't think it is elegant or you don't think it is inelegant?

Doesn't matter anyway as you just hate all shoes that aren't made by like three artisans around your place. I do like a lot of the shoes you post but I sure wouldn't trust your opinion on any other shoes but those...

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

It makes for better waist-perfect 8. Shoes on a single sole are fine, but often look too flat-footed.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma

Doesn't matter anyway as you just hate all shoes that aren't made by like three artisans around your place. I do like a lot of the shoes you post but I sure wouldn't trust your opinion on any other shoes but those...

Fritzy likes Vass.

- B

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
smile.gif

devil.gif
laugh.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

it could be more refined. most of my shoes have a 1.5 sole. that's the purpose of custom made

what makes you think that?

it's true that i prefer the austro hungarian school and their styles. one reason might be my massive frame. the other one is the heritage of my grandfather.

it's also true that i can appreciate various styles, especially the italian, but most are not for my personal use(see frame). i just don't like any variation of the chisel toe atm. but who knows?

rammie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
smile.gif

No, not really. I think the double to single tapering makes the shoe look front-heavy and also too heavy overall as it is applied on all kinds of styles that wheren't intended to be so heavy. It does make the shoe look "sturdy" though, but I think it's a stupid compromise as it ***** up the balance (and as fritzl said it makes the shoe look less refined) and that's why I would prefer going with a double sole all the way if I wanted a sturdier shoe. And since my body isn't too muscular or overweight (185 cm/80 kg) I'd imagine a 1.5 sole would be more than enough to give that overall solid feel to the shoe.

Originally Posted by Omega Man
Hey rammie,

I have both the anitque cognac and the dark cognac. The dark cognac is much darker. To provide you with some reference, the antique cognac is a little darker than EG's Burnt Pine. The dark cognac is like EG's dark oak.

Thanks a lot Omega man. The comparison with the EG colors was very helpful as I could find better pictures of them on the LeatherSoul blog.
smile.gif

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rammie
No, not really. I think the double to single tapering makes the shoe look front-heavy and also too heavy overall as it is applied on all kinds of styles that wheren't intended to be so heavy. It does make the shoe look "sturdy" though, but I think it's a stupid compromise as it ***** up the balance (and as fritzl said it makes the shoe look less refined) and that's why I would prefer going with a double sole all the way if I wanted a sturdier shoe. And since my body isn't too muscular or overweight (185 cm/80 kg) I'd imagine a 1.5 sole would be more than enough to give that overall solid feel to the shoe.

You think too much. Not many can tell the difference when you have them on. The only person who can tell the difference is the wearer because the soles do feel a lot sturdier.

PS: and what's with all this swearing?

rammie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
You think too much. Not many can tell the difference when you have them on. The only person who can tell the difference is the wearer because the soles do feel a lot sturdier. PS: and what's with all this swearing?
Yeah, I guess you're right about me overthinking the whole thing. But on the other hand I can't see why it would matter if others can tell the difference or not? I mean, the fact that only the wearer will notice that the shoes feel sturdier because the soles are thicker doesn't motivate why one should go ahead and have the sole tapered. The only good think coming out of it would be that the waist looks better, but the front part of the shoe would still look heavy. At least in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for thicker/double leather sole so that the shoes feel sturdier but not the actual tapering. (And I only swore once?
confused.gif
)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads