• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is dressing well false advertising if you're not wealthy?

r...

Reaction score
The clothes dont make the man anymore, clothing isnt perceived as an outward ATM reciept or a sign of status like it used to be. Showing an avid interest in your appearance will get you noticed amongst people who dont. But its an interest like any other.

Its like asking the guy in the M3 with the shinny rims if he feels bad that he still lives with his parents.

No one thinks youre an aristrocat. They just want a free drink.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by r...
The clothes dont make the man anymore, clothing isnt perceived as an outward ATM reciept or a sign of status like it used to be. Showing an avid interest in your appearance will get you noticed amongst people who dont. But its an interest like any other.

Its like asking the guy in the M3 with the shinny rims if he feels bad that he still lives with his parents.
No one thinks youre an aristrocat. They just want a free drink.

this is what I lol at. The **** that hang out in parking lots near my house all hype up their cars so much but they're 25+ and live in their mother's basement.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
this is what I lol at. The **** that hang out in parking lots near my house all hype up their cars so much but they're 25+ and live in their mother's basement.

plain.gif

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by word
Seems like I interpreted the original post differently than others which led to my first phrase. Oh well.

No worries my man. I will tell you this, I've seen some well off people who dress like crap, its how they hold on to their money.

Every 2-3 years there's alawys a story about a guy who lived like a hermit who still wore the same 2 pair of pants he purchased in the 80's being worth $100 million dollars or so.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A banker friend of mine used to say "Never judge a man's bank account by his clothes or where he lives." Growing up I lived in Levittown style neighborhood. Besides NFL players (who were earning lower-middle class wages back then) we had a few wealthy individuals who were just happy living a modest lower-middle class lifestyle.

That being said, I do like the prejudice of salescritters who judge me when I am dressed up and refer to me as "Mr. Squirrel" while they make a fuss. Otherwise, while I like the finer things in life: roller derby, craft beers, off roading, rockabilly... er... Maybe what many would not consider the "finer" things. I don't want to bother with the time and effort to be extremely wealthy, just to look as good I can with the resources available.

ETA: don't know why I brought up the NFL (and NHL Players) I guess we were just proud as kids to have them there.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the simple pleasures of being a smart discount/secondhand shopper is walking into, say, Neiman Marcus wearing a $4000 outfit that you spent $500 on and having the salespeople fawn over you. It's a good way of taking advantage of their expertise for free.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
One of the simple pleasures of being a smart discount/secondhand shopper is walking into, say, Neiman Marcus wearing a $4000 outfit that you spent $500 on and having the salespeople fawn over you. It's a good way of taking advantage of their expertise for free.

My mom and I were out shopping once and we ended up at a Coach outlet. She just purchased a brand new Coach bag about 2 weeks before from a retail Coach location and the associate at the outlet knew it wasn't an outlet purchase and fawned over her about.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
No worries my man. I will tell you this, I've seen some well off people who dress like crap, its how they hold on to their money.

Every 2-3 years there's alawys a story about a guy who lived like a hermit who still wore the same 2 pair of pants he purchased in the 80's being worth $100 million dollars or so.

The owner of more Chevrolet dealerships than anybody in the world lives in my town (yes, he lives in Grand Forks, ND). A cousin of mine knows him and one of his sons. The guy employs five full-time mechanics just to fix up old classic cars for him. Usually, he drives around in an old Chevy pickup with a flannel shirt and jeans.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The rich aren't particularly well dressed these days. Unless you're wearing a monocle, or are decked out head to toe in brand new clothes, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would assume people are less likely to assume well dressed = rich than well dressed = gay.

That said, if you dress like a striver and try to live a flashy lifestyle, people will recognize that.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
My mom and I were out shopping once and we ended up at a Coach outlet. She just purchased a brand new Coach bag about 2 weeks before from a retail Coach location and the associate at the outlet knew it wasn't an outlet purchase and fawned over her about.

lulz

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The rich aren't particularly well dressed these days. Unless you're wearing a monocle, or are decked out head to toe in brand new clothes, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would assume people are less likely to assume well dressed = rich than well dressed = gay.

That said, if you dress like a striver and try to live a flashy lifestyle, people will recognize that.

+500!

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The rich aren't particularly well dressed these days. .

Wait...you mean Scott Storch, NBA players, hipster Hollywood stars, and most hip-hop artists don't dress well???????

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads