• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
We have another fiasco going with Filson again. Basically it's over our price yet again. The Style Forum discount has been disabled for the time being. We are also considering dropping Filson as a product line. Dave is really hot this time and so am I. We are getting tired of trying to meet their ever changing and ever ridiculous demands.

oh no thats terrible...

i dont understand ... filson cant possible believe that an undisclosed discount for styleforum members is really affecting them do they?

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by torontolaker
is it made of the same oil twill material? would you mind to post some pics? thx

yes, it is the exact same material.

here are some bad photos:

This is the small duffel empty, just sort of sitting there (it will crush flatter than this):

4168565850_b48d796087.jpg

This is the duffel half full:

4168566072_f9d38a0550.jpg

These two show the bag almost fully loaded:

4167804591_2604b53e4b.jpg

4168566556_9d03bb2949.jpg

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by v3l
I'm looking to get one of the duffle bags for when I'm traveling through Europe next semester. Any thoughts on what's the best size for a weekender (taking into account baggage policies on cheap airlines)?
the small will easily accommodate a weekend's worth of clothes and one pair of shoes. Fully loaded, it fits in the overhead, no problem. Half full fits under the seat. I use it on four-day trips to warm and moderate climates. If I were to carry it fully loaded for an extended period (e.g., walking around a city all day), I wouldn't want to go larger than the small.

torontolaker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stax
yes, it is the exact same material.

here are some bad photos:

This is the small duffel empty, just sort of sitting there (it will crush flatter than this):

4168565850_b48d796087.jpg

This is the duffel half full:

4168566072_f9d38a0550.jpg

These two show the bag almost fully loaded:

4167804591_2604b53e4b.jpg

4168566556_9d03bb2949.jpg

hey thx for the pics. i forgot to ask, what does the bottom look like?

Stax

Reaction score
hey thx for the pics. i forgot to ask, what does the bottom look like?

The bottom is made of the same twill material and the leather straps extend around the full circumference of the bag. There is a seam where the ends of the strap meet on the bottom.

torontolaker

Reaction score
The bottom is made of the same twill material and the leather straps extend around the full circumference of the bag. There is a seam where the ends of the strap meet on the bottom.

Does the strap get a lot of wear then b/c the bag rests heavily on the straps?

Stax

Reaction score
Does the strap get a lot of wear then b/c the bag rests heavily on the straps?

Not really. It only gets wear when i place it on the ground. I don't drag it around. The straps are strong and well sewen to the bag on the bottom with strong nylon thread. In any case, I don't worry about it, particularly given Filson's lifetime warranty. Build quality is a not an issue.

torontolaker

Reaction score
Not really. It only gets wear when i place it on the ground. I don't drag it around. The straps are strong and well sewen to the bag on the bottom with strong nylon thread. In any case, I don't worry about it, particularly given Filson's lifetime warranty. Build quality is a not an issue.
cool. I'll order it from Crane's after I return from Mexico in the first couple of days in Jan. I think Filson only gives limited lifetime warranty, so I don't think heavy wear on the straps on the bottom will count for free repair or replacement from Filson

Stax

Reaction score

I think Filson only gives limited lifetime warranty, so I don't think heavy wear on the straps on the bottom will count for free repair or replacement from Filson

You might be right about that.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might be right about that.

Their warranty is pretty much unconditional. If you wear it out they fix or replace it.

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Their warranty is pretty much unconditional. If you wear it out they fix or replace it.

Good to know. That is what I thought, but the website is sort of vague and I have never had to use the warranty. Thanks for the heads up.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the Shelter Cloth All season Rain Coat. Nice and simple coat. Its unique in that it was made from old deadstock material diffrent from the thinner 6oz cover cloth (the olive green $275 version). I like that its blue. Under the big "bellow" pocket there is another side entry pocket. You can zip in standard liners even from other brands (my old North Face fleece vest and Patagonia down vest liner zip in fine). I guess the only cons is that its heavy (made of 8.5oz oiled cotton) at 4lbs, and with all filson jackets the fit is gigantoid (huge arms ect). Plus oiled cotton (like barbour jackets) is not everyones thing. I'm a sized 38 chest and the small is still roomy. I've used this in the snow and rain and it holds up fine just like Goretex it breathes. I'm going to pair this up with my old liners and stop looking like i just came off a skiing/arctic adventures. The best part: since its a web special (going to be discontinued) its $159 on filson's official website. There are free shipping codes too (just google them and remember they are case sensitive). Made in america, cheap, and tough as nails (plus that Filson guarantee).
4174105163_69c57a3556.jpg
4174104371_4852de8249.jpg
I still have my goretex jackets but I actually use them for when I go out camping, hiking and skiing. After I hit 30yrs old.. I just felt the need to wear more simple stuff even in crappy weather.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had previously purchased the small duffel in brown.
Saw the Jean Shop custom dyed red small duffel and purchased that I one instead.
They are also going to red dye a travel kit.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
really? Where will you be able to score that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads