• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
uh theres nothing wrong with allen edmonds. most of shoes are probably indistinguishable from aldens.
I dont think so man, leather quality is rubbish, plastic insoles lately, poor finish, lasting is blobby as hell etc

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
I dont think so man, leather quality is rubbish, plastic insoles lately, poor finish, lasting is blobby as hell etc
I know this is part of an endless MC debate on shoe quality, but having compared a lot of the shoes in person I would rather own straight dress shoes from AE (park avenue, mora) than from alden. I also find alden fits my widish feet better, but that's not really an aesthetic fault of AEs.. as far as blobby lasts there's a great thread where people do side by side comparisions between AE and brands like vass, eg and john lobb. the results are surprising.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why would you rather own AE if alden fits you better and the leather quality is obv better?

(i personally think AE are of good enough quality and make a good shoe, but not particularly "nice". As you put it, there's nothing wrong with AE)

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
why would you rather own AE if alden fits you better and the leather quality is obv better?
I don't think the leather quality is obviously better for every shoe, really only those that use chromexel or cordovan. I think the suede is probably equivalent. I like the shape and look of AE dress shoes better while I find many Alden dress shoes ungainly and broad. Compare the lasts - Barrie and TruBalance are NOT small. I like my dress pants very slim and hemmed with no break, so its necessary to have a sleak shoe.

Wu Dynasty

Reaction score

(i personally think AE are of good enough quality and make a good shoe, but not particularly "nice". As you put it, there's nothing wrong with AE)

AE cordovan and Alden cordovan come from the same damn tannery.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ahhh okay.

i first came to sf by way of MC and saw so many beautiful brown leather dress shoes over there.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
pebbled leather is universally atrocious
no.
Originally Posted by Teger
uh theres nothing wrong with allen edmonds. most of shoes are probably indistinguishable from aldens.
no.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
also alden upcharges like a motherfucker for the nicer leathers.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the alden vs AE is abit of a **** fight.

Fair call on AE as straight dress shoes. I really don't like aldens dress shoes that much. I like the suede chukka, the cordovan chukkas and a few of the boots (without moc stitching)

90% of AE's lasts are terrible and they have the habit of getting rid of the good ones i.e Mora (The double monk in suede) they then have the habit of creating terrible, terrible 'European' creations (that 7 line)

I'm a C&J man, I like the sleeker lasts, the minimalist finishing and light antiquing fit well with my aesthetic. Also, I can't afford Vass / Ron Rider MTM, but I will be picking these up and rotating C+J's out as time goes on.

95% of pebbled grain shoes suck, but there are some fantastic ones out there. You really need nice leather if your going to go pebbled grain, that's part of the problem.

Finally, Teger vs Uncontrol is the best troll fight ever.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wu Dynasty
AE cordovan and Alden cordovan come from the same damn tannery.

yeah, whoops if my assumption was wrong, i was just curious as to why he preferred AE when he said alden fits better and alden is seen as either equivalent or better in quality.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
yeah, whoops if my assumption was wrong, i was just curious as to why he preferred AE when he said alden fits better and alden is seen as either equivalent or better in quality.

FWIW I have had far more quality issues with the aldens I've owned as compared to the AEs.. and the AEs were like $40 off ebay.

the real question though, is if you're paying alden cordo prices, should you jump up to vass?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Passing by the AE store countless times I've never stopped and said "hmm I think I like the way these look."

jet has spoken bitches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads