• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The streetwear shoes and boots thread...No sneakers please

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
Dainite means the bottom has a bunch of large rubber nipples. If that makes any sense. It's good in the rain and meant for pavement. Commando is better for stuff you won't find in the city. Leather is going to be more comfortable overall, but it has poor performance in the rain.

Originally Posted by onion
My Trickers came with a leather sole, but switched them out for a flat 3/4 rubber sole and full rubber heel, which are the exact thickness that the leather was. They are grippy, yet still sleek like a leather sole. I like them a lot.

I can take a photo of them when I get off work if you think that would help.

Thanks fellas. Yeah, Agelus, the 'Danite' (?) flat sole with the nipple-type tread is what I'm after. Leather just makes me a bit edgy in terms of traction. Commando seems fine, but seems a bit chunky for a dressier boot.

So two questions:

1) Onion: pics would be great. Was this rubber sole switchout considered a custom? If not, how do I specify and where's the best place to order these like that?

2) Best online place to order these? Good price? Shipping to US?

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Cross-posting this form the ultimate noob thread since the readers of this thread are more my target audience.

Can anyone recommend a shoe with the following:
*rubber-soled
*brown
*wingtips
*<$250 US

I want to get something that can be worn with business casual and also on the weekend with jeans. I want them with rubber soles so that they can be worn in the rain without busting ******, and so that I can do some walking in them without worrying about stepping in the grass or the wear and tear in general. I'd also like to keep it under $250, since I can't justify spending more than that on rubber-soled shoes. There are some rubber C&J on Plal that look really nice, but they're out of my price range.

I bought some shoes from J. Crew that I thought would work, but they're just too dark, almost black. I'm really looking for more of a chocolate brown.

Any suggestions?

If I can't find a shoe in the shade of brown I want, do you think I could buy a lighter shade of brown and darken them with dark brown polish/cream?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FatMod
Those white Tricker's are v.nice.

A good source for custom made Tricker's is shoehealer although I have never dealt with them. I purchased my green's ( a few pages back) direct from Tricker's. I do know they charge approx £100 on top of the off the shelf price for custom orders, colour, leather, sole changes etc. It seems a bit cheaper through shoehealer....
https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/Tricker...ker_s_Gallery/

This pair in Navy Blue Aniline Calf, and fitted to a Double Leather Sole on a Storm Welt in Natural Finish. As an added attraction, we also had these made with a Red calf Leather Lining, and White Eyelets with white Laces.

__1961_4.jpg

bigger detailed pics on the following links......
https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/images/1961/2.jpg
https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/images/1961/1.jpg
https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/images/1961/3.jpg
https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/images/1961/4.jpg

also good for a little inspiration...

bourton_2tone_1.jpg

http://www.taraxa.jp/product/178

Awesome. I thank you, man. Looks like my closet is about to get red, navy, white, and green Tricker's...

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Orvis looks to be importing the Trickers in a brown textured leather, and described as 'Danite sole'.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=43CG

They won't way who makes these, but they must be Trickers. For $398, that ain't bad vs. 265.00 pounds + shipping from England.

Pics for comparison:

Orvis:

43CGL6HH_lg.jpg

Trickers:

stow_marron_medium.jpg

Can anyone verify these are the real deal? I can see the toe perf pattern is different, as well as some of the brogueing proportions.

(only the configuration shown is available through Orvis).

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
They look very similar, but are different, man. Look a the stitching on the front quarter and vamps, everything is just slightly different, plus the actual shapes are not proportioned exactly the same.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
preferring the more subtle heel counter shape on the Tricker's as well. Could be Loake made or something.

FatMod

Reaction score
Danite soles are ok but very stiff, good if you want to retain the traditional look. Personally I love the double leather but only for the fairer weather. Having just gone with a commando on this style shoe for the first time I can honestly say that I much prefer the look and the overall feel of them. Winter beaters no doubt. I also think it gives the traditional styles a more contemporary and youthful look.

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
Cross-posting this form the ultimate noob thread since the readers of this thread are more my target audience.

Can anyone recommend a shoe with the following:
*rubber-soled
*brown
*wingtips
*<$250 US

I want to get something that can be worn with business casual and also on the weekend with jeans. I want them with rubber soles so that they can be worn in the rain without busting ******, and so that I can do some walking in them without worrying about stepping in the grass or the wear and tear in general. I'd also like to keep it under $250, since I can't justify spending more than that on rubber-soled shoes. There are some rubber C&J on Plal that look really nice, but they're out of my price range.

I bought some shoes from J. Crew that I thought would work, but they're just too dark, almost black. I'm really looking for more of a chocolate brown.

Any suggestions?

If I can't find a shoe in the shade of brown I want, do you think I could buy a lighter shade of brown and darken them with dark brown polish/cream?

Lands End...
There's both brown calfskin and brown suede. If you see this and pull the trigger before the end of the day its $75 with free ship. Otherwise it's normally $99, which isn't half bad considering you said these are going to be bad weather beaters.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/WingtipS...O&CM_MERCH=IDX_00009__0000000918&origin=index

hobscrk777

Reaction score
^ Thanks for pointing those out to me., a-rock. Now I'm in a quandary...Those shoes are almost certainly made with cemented soles and sub-par leather. I don't want to break the bank, but at the same time I don't want to buy a pair that I'll have to throw out eventually.

Fiddy

Reaction score
Just picked up these distressed grey DB's...

clarksdb.jpg

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As promised, here are a few photos of my Tricker's resoled with a Vibram rubber sole.

trickers1.jpg

trickers2.jpg

trickers3.jpg

false

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Orvis looks to be importing the Trickers in a brown textured leather, and described as 'Danite sole'. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=43CG They won't way who makes these, but they must be Trickers. For $398, that ain't bad vs. 265.00 pounds + shipping from England. (only the configuration shown is available through Orvis).
I think pediwear has actual trickers for 230 if you live outside of Europe and, I believe, free shipping so I'd avoid this. Appreciate the info though. 230 POUNDS, sorry. If that were dollars I'd being wearing them right now.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did a custom order on some White's Semi-Dress back in early November and they showed up today. I'm thrilled with them, they turned out exactly as I wanted and the quality is amazing. My Alden boots are nice, but these are another level.

dsc2496w.jpg

dsc2510.jpg

(for those interested there are more pics in the SUFU "...better with age" thread)

dragonxking

Reaction score
slide13,
those look well worth the wait

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads