• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

mpcec

Reaction score
Fantastic thread, If only I wasn't reading this from my dorm room.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mpcec
Fantastic thread, If only I wasn't reading this from my dorm room.

Thanks. But I'm sure a lot of sausage gets handled in dorm rooms.
laugh.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So I had some time to kill between getting ready for tonight and some unpacking and laundry. What to do? Well, how about making Thuringer sausage? It's a multi-stage process, so I just completed the first stage. Four pounds of pork butt ground coarse, 1 pound of back fat cubed, several spices (lots of coriander) and something called "Fermento." It's a milk product that will give the finished sausage that tangy lactic flavour that dry cured salumni. So here it is, the meat ground, back fat diced, and the spices and Femento mixed in. I packed it tightly to eliminate air pockets and covered it in plastic. It will sit in the fridge for three days until I start the second stage.

IMG_0507.jpg

Stay tuned.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Making another rasher of bacon. It's a 3# pork belly. As you can see, I had to trim it to fit into the freezer bag. 50 grams of Ruhlman's basic cure, five cloves mashed garlic, four crushed peppers (my wife grew), four crushed bay leaves, several juniper berries and peppercorns crushed. A week in the fridge, flipping it everyday, then smoke it next weekend. I think I'll use hickory this time and do it in my big smoker vs. the stove top one.

IMG_0525.jpg

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
P,

every now and again I really envy somebody - you are officially on that list. I want that smoker and sausage maker.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
P,

every now and again I really envy somebody - you are officially on that list. I want that smoker and sausage maker.

cheers.gif

If you ever want to buy, I'll provide the links. The sausage stuff is pretty affordable and stores easily.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
cheers.gif

If you ever want to buy, I'll provide the links. The sausage stuff is pretty affordable and stores easily.

thanks, I might just. Its more a matter of not really having the space, I have a pretty tight kitchen. but I might just do it one day.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Okay, so just chillin' out tonight after a pretty packed last two weeks. So what's a guy to do on a Saturday night when he wants to relax? That's right. Play with his sausage!
IMG_0549.jpg
This is my attempt at thuringer. I actually had to do it tonight, as I need to let it hang at room temp for 10 hours before smoking. I squirm at the thought of letting raw meat hang at room temp, but I have a teaspoon of "pink salt" in the mix, preventing nasty bugs from growing. Tomorrow morning, around 6a, I'll be packing it into the smoker for two hours of cold smoking, then bring it up slowly to an internal temp of 150. It will be getting smoked the whole time, which should take about five hours.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pio, you pwned the sausage.
worship.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Finally done. Several hours in the smoker, after a 10 hour hang at room temp. God, I hope my sodium nitrite does its job! Here they are about to get put into an ice bath for chilling. I also kept one out, lightly caramelized the outside, and tried out. Great texture, unctuous, nicely smokey and spicy. Got the natural casing just right. It snapped as my incisors bit though it, just like Ruhlman describes in his book. Natural casing ftw.

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
My smoker, as wonderful as it is, just is not cut out for smoking home made sausage. It has two major problems. First, it doesn't have enough room to hand links properly. This I've been overcoming by merely laying them on the shelves. Not a big deal, I could live with that. However, it just doesn't want to make smoke at low temps. About 180 is where it starts to make good smoke. This is great for ribs, brisket...basically, everything but smoke curing sausages.

So, I think when my tax return comes in, I'm buying this:

41000.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads