• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
MMMmmmmmmm

Originally Posted by Cavalier
Awesome thread; this is something I will be doing when I get older with out a doubt. I remember my father making sausages and taking me to a Chicago south side butcher to pick up supplies
smile.gif

Glad you two enjoyed the thread. No new product for a few weeks, but will continue to poast pics as I try new stuff.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Piobaire's sausage lovers:
edmorel
edmorel
edmorel
Kwilkinson
Connemara
Mark from Plano
Cavalier
edmorel
edmorel

and

edmorel

Indeed!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I could go for some sausage tonight. I'm still a fran of grilled sausage on a fresh grilled roll with sauteed peppers and onions.

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
Awesome sausages. I've been meaning to try the mortadella recipe.

The Ruhlman book is excellent - I would also recommend the seafood sausages that he includes in there, which are pretty versatile for adding other seafood elements.

I've also had good luck with the Aidells book. It's substantially less technical than Charcuterie but there is a wider variety of recipes and some interesting ones, such as a Thai poultry sausage.

Makes me want to break out the smoker and make some andouille.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Been working on some home made bacon. I got a very nice piece of pork belly. Last week, I put it in a large freezer bag with some sugar (white granulated and brown), garlic, kosher salt, "pink" salt for curing, two jalapeno peppers and some black pepper. It sat in the fridge for eight days. I would turn it daily, so as the liquid came out, it would coat the meat. Today, I slow smoked it with cherry wood, in our stove top smoker. I brought it up to 150 internal over two hours. My god, it's good. Sliced off a couple of pieces and gently fried them up. I'm going to cut the rest up into lardons, and freeze them, for various dishes.

This was so easy, I'm definitely going to do this again, and experiment with some different flavorings.

IMG_0350.jpg

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
As a well-known Pio sausage lover, I hope he brings me some of his tubed meat when he comes to Sonoma.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bacon is really a great idea. Sounds very simple. . . is there a recipe for salt and cure?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
The bacon is really a great idea. Sounds very simple. . . is there a recipe for salt and cure?

There are probably tons of recipes on the net for this. I got mine out of the bible (Ruhlman's book) and will post the proportions for the cure in the next evening or two. Basically, it's salt, "pink" salt (nitrite to cure the meat), and whatever flavourings you want.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next time I get some pork liver I'll try to detail my livermush. Whenever I'm out of it I miss having it ready to be fried up in the morning on some toasted leinsamenbrot.
inlove.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Next time I get some pork liver I'll try to detail my livermush.

I think I'm going to try a pate with liver this weekend. One pound pork butt, 4 oz liver, are the meat ingredients.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is back bacon cured and prepared the same way? I never see pork bellies available around here, but pork loin is always available and often on really good sales.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Is back bacon cured and prepared the same way? I never see pork bellies available around here, but pork loin is always available and often on really good sales.

Not sure, but probably. However, you don't want to use modern, store bought pork loins for anything much. If you could get a good, Amish type of pig, yes. Modern "production" pigs are not the best thing for real, home done stuff like this. The loins are too low fat for needed flavour.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point about the store bought pork. It never has any fat on it these days. I'll have to look around and see what is available.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great thread. i've done the sausage a few times, but the mess it makes in the kitchen is unreal. nothing worse than pulling lumps of ground pork from the fridge, toaster, cutlery drawer etc for days afterwards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads