• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not really considering this, I'm just curious if anyone has ever heard of Taniel Pogharian.
TPOG-MO2_V2-BIG.jpg

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a tartan/plaid toggle Nehru jacket? -- well I haven't seen that sort of thing before. never heard of the brand.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height Scroll down to the table and sort by height. You'll see that Indonesia has the shortest men in the world-- average height is 5'2", just like Xeno. Indonesian proxy?
laugh.gif
Japan may be somewhat problematic since average height of an 19 year old there is now up to 5'8", 6+ ft tall Japanese males are increasingly common, and average height keeps increasing every year. Although I have occasionally run across some Japanese knits with shockingly short published length measurements.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
This is a fucked up world. I'm fully agreeing with Uncontrol and ppllzz. DON'T HOLD THAT AGAINST MY ARGUMENT. IT IS ESTABLISHED LAW. RULE: Wearing a tie? Put on a jacket. NO: If you wear a tie without a jacket, you look like a 13 year old kid. NO: If you wear a tie without a jacket and your shirt untucked, you look like a sloppy 13 year old or a hipster. Maybe: Some people do it and pull it off but I wouldn't - jacket, untucked shirt, no tie. You'd better have a lot of swagger and a impeccably tailored clothing because otherwise you look like a drunk Jersey/Bridge and Tunnel financial worker. YES: jacket and button down with no tie and shirt tucked in. This is casual yet not stupid. Xenox: Yeah it's logical to wear a tie with a shirt untucked but so is wearing crocs and a sweatpants every day. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. If you're at a job with a dress code, you can just accept you're screwed and look like crap. But outside of your job you shouldn't do it. If you're wearing a jacket with your tie, as you should, put the tie in any jacket pocket. If you aren't, fold it up and jam it in your back pocket.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height

Scroll down to the table and sort by height. You'll see that Indonesia has the shortest men in the world-- average height is 5'2", just like Xeno. Indonesian proxy?
laugh.gif
Japan may be somewhat problematic since average height of an 19 year old there is now up to 5'8", 6+ ft tall Japanese males are increasingly common, and average height keeps increasing every year. Although I have occasionally run across some Japanese knits with shockingly short published length measurements.

yeah asians in korea china taiwan japan are all getting crazy tall now. even 10 years ago the difference was really apparent. now all the kids are tall ... waht gives?

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
NO: If you wear a tie without a jacket, you look like a 13 year old kid.

Ahhh! Now I know why I was never able to pull-off this look-- I'm too tall! Perhaps Xeno is short enough to pull it off with ease.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
yeah asians in korea china taiwan japan are all getting crazy tall now. even 10 years ago the difference was really apparent. now all the kids are tall ... waht gives?
Change in diet towards more Western style food, including more meat/protein. If an Asian grows up eating the same food as the Western world they often grow up to be just as tall as Europeans.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
dont wear a tie without a sportcoat/suit jacket, period
no, not period

Originally Posted by Robert
Seriously? Even if it's a casual shirt with a casual tie, e.g., a knit tie? I do this occasionally with my casual shirts b/c it's awkward sometimes to wear a sport coat.
i do this too

Originally Posted by ppllzz
well i mean if you wear a tie you need to button the shirt all the way up, which is uncomfortable, and then adding the tie is even more uncomfortable, so its hard to look casual that way

and if you dont button the shirt all the way up and wear the tie loose its just obvious accessorizing... and the tie has to be one of the most unwieldy accessories of all time--gets in the way of eating, drinking, and pretty much anything that involves your body bending down

so if i wanted to look more "formal" than business casual, i would first add a sportcoat, and then a tie if i wanted to be more formal

look, if you dont like it then dont do it but. dont assume, though, that you not doing it makes it wrong. there is nothing wrong with a jacketless tie, especiall a knit. i'll agree on the tucked in shirt part but thats all

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when i see guys with ties i think people who are trying too hard. please, continue to try too hard!

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate ties without something to cover them up (i.e. a knit or jacket). Having it dangling there just looks stupid to me.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I agree with the untucked shirt w/ tie bit, but seriously, folks, the whole you-have-to-wear-a-jacket-if-you-wear-a-tie thing... can you say "anal"?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
all this tie hate....good thing i never told you i wish i had cravats to go with my vests

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't mind wearing a tie at all besides a lot of jobs require them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads