• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
DCT systems have clutches. in fact, they have 2.
Miss the point much? Insert the word "manual" before the word "engagement" if that causes you less angst over the technical phrasing of my post..

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
I've never found shifting my own gears the incredible chore most Americans seem to.
Same here. I love driving a manual, not necessarily in all driving situations (e.g., Chicago rush-hour traffic) or daily, but when I'm in the mood for spirited driving, it's great to have the option.

sjd

Reaction score
There's an excellent article in this month's Road & Track comparing manuals with dual clutch gearboxes including some back to back track testing. They use a pair of Evos and a pair of Caymans. In every instance the twin clutch is faster, by over a second in the case of the Evo X, however after only a few runs the twin clutches overheat. All 3 of my cars are manuals and my MX-5 sees a lot of track use. I have never had a problem with a manual gearbox breaking or overheating. Also the twin clutch gearbox in the Evo X can't take a lot of additional power once you start modifying the engine. I have driven an Evo X with the SST and enjoyed it, but reliability is a worry for me. Now a sequential dogbox is different story, I would run one of them.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjd
There's an excellent article in this month's Road & Track comparing manuals with dual clutch gearboxes including some back to back track testing. They use a pair of Evos and a pair of Caymans. In every instance the twin clutch is faster, by over a second in the case of the Evo X, however after only a few runs the twin clutches overheat. All 3 of my cars are manuals and my MX-5 sees a lot of track use. I have never had a problem with a manual gearbox breaking or overheating. Also the twin clutch gearbox in the Evo X can't take a lot of additional power once you start modifying the engine. I have driven an Evo X with the SST and enjoyed it, but reliability is a worry for me. Now a sequential dogbox is different story, I would run one of them.

Not surprising. And automatic transmissions in general in the past decade have far outperformed manual transmissions. I think I just have a lot of hate because I'm used to seeing all these idiot kids who think their Honda Civics are fast because they have manual transmissions. I've had a lot of the same kids tell me my AMG was slow because it had an automatic. None of them could shift either, and destroyed their clutches and transmissions and couldn't figure out why. They thought it was all the power their cars made.

The_Jar

Reaction score
here's my 02 c5 corvette. 6speed. z51 suspension, and torch red interior
IMG_3939.jpg

IMG_3942.jpg

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Miss the point much?

Insert the word "manual" before the word "engagement" if that causes you less angst over the technical phrasing of my post..

lol8[1].gif

automatic guys never let up

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno what's worse - guys that can't drive manual, or guys that are manual fanboys.

Seriously, get over yourselves. Your 6-speed M3 is not quicker than an SMG M3. And for those of us who don't like in butt **** middle of nowhere and actually have to deal with traffic on a regular basis, SMG is a great compromise.

The only people that hate on SMG are the ones who've never used it. End of story.

And FWIW, I've been driving manual longer than you've been driving period so lets dead that argument once and for all.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
I dunno what's worse - guys that can't drive manual, or guys that are manual fanboys. Seriously, get over yourselves. Your 6-speed M3 is not quicker than an SMG M3. And for those of us who don't like in butt **** middle of nowhere and actually have to deal with traffic on a regular basis, SMG is a great compromise. The only people that hate on SMG are the ones who've never used it. End of story. And FWIW, I've been driving manual longer than you've been driving period so lets dead that argument once and for all.
nvm, I'm finished responding to your bullshit..

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
And so it begins
lol8[1].gif

Automatic guys are some of the most sensitive, defensive people I've ever seen on a message board. I've been driving manual for 19 years in the worst traffic in the country on a weekly basis
redface.gif

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I've been driving manual for 19 years in the worst traffic in the country on a weekly basis
redface.gif

So you're not a fanboy, you're just stupid.

Gotcha.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what you prefer as long as you understand that automatics are better at shifting then you are. If you acknowledge that and still want to drive a manual for the experience then that is cool. I'm just really tired of people thinking manuals are magically faster somehow.

sjd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
Not surprising. And automatic transmissions in general in the past decade have far outperformed manual transmissions. I think I just have a lot of hate because I'm used to seeing all these idiot kids who think their Honda Civics are fast because they have manual transmissions. I've had a lot of the same kids tell me my AMG was slow because it had an automatic. None of them could shift either, and destroyed their clutches and transmissions and couldn't figure out why. They thought it was all the power their cars made.

A twin clutch is not an automatic though. True automatics are quite often slower than manuals. I too, commute 120km a day (round trip) in terrible Toronto traffic with a manual transmission and it doesn't make me stupid either. It just that for the times when I can utilize a manual transmission it all becomes worth it, like at the track. I don't care that it's slower because it comes down to driver while you are in competition. Manuals are more fun and more involving period. I will always own one. For the record I don't hate on SMG's or Twin Clutches. I just wouldn't buy one and yes I have driven them.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Miss the point much? Insert the word "manual" before the word "engagement" if that causes you less angst over the technical phrasing of my post..
because "pedal" is such a difficult, technical word

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
It doesn't matter what you prefer as long as you understand that automatics are better at shifting then you are. If you acknowledge that and still want to drive a manual for the experience then that is cool. I'm just really tired of people thinking manuals are magically faster somehow.

I do acknowledge that the new DCT is a much better and more efficient gear shifter than I am, but then, I am not out there drag racing much, so that greater efficiency is meaningless to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics