• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Morning wear in America: Harvard 1961 Commencement from LIFE Magazine

malefic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Brown, Commencement 2009:
browncomm1.jpg

"Artist's conception of NYU commencement, 2023":
627o.jpg

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
My great-grandfather attended Harvard back in the '20s. Alas, no photographs remain due to the Cultural Revolution.
Maybe Harvard has photos of him in an archive somewhere? You'd be surprised - I've found pictures of ancestors in very odd places whenever I start to look.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Maybe Harvard has photos of him in an archive somewhere?

One would assume so.

My great-aunt--his eldest daughter--had to enroll at Columbia because Harvard did not allow women as undergraduates at that time.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
One would assume so.

My great-aunt--his eldest daughter--had to enroll at Columbia because Harvard did not allow women as undergraduates at that time.

Do you know why she didn't go to Radcliffe?

- B

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Do you know why she didn't go to Radcliffe? - B
I imagine she wanted a more independent entity than a coordinated college. Something of a strong-willed woman as one might expect from a lawyer's daughter.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I imagine she wanted a more independent entity than a coordinated college. Something of a strong-willed woman as one might expect from a lawyer's daughter.

I suspect that she was spared the regime inflicted by the parents of Harvard Girl.

- B

LaoHu

Reaction score
Can anyone identify the two gentlemen on the left in this photo?

spd7om.jpg

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guy on the right bears a resemblance to Robert McNamara (more dovish of course)

Guy on the right looks like Mike Huckabee
devil.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fabulous, unforetuneately that era is gone.

In one of the great tragedies of Harvard's glorious history, they turned me down for admission.

It was 1967 and I had applied as a Lincoln HS, Brooklyn NYC grad.

I got on some sort of waiting list and I was accepted by Cornell and Rice U. I decided to leave NYC to it's own devices and I left for Texas. The rest is history.

I do admit that Rice had nothing to compare to Harvard's pomp and circumstance of the 1960s.

But I wonder if Harvard had anything to compare to Boys Towns in the Valley? Perhaps the Boston Combat Zone existed then.

As Vox has pointed out, these photos are of a commencement, and not daily dress of course by any means. A few of my Lincoln HS friends did get into Harvard ( they had 1600 SATS, and Harvard was very picky with which poor Jews they accepted ) and they invited me to Ivy League Football games. I remember the Harvard Yale game as a big deal. I think the Harvard guys were dressed better than my college friends back in Texas but not spectacularly so.

Here is a story about my HS buddy Brian Newmark who got into Harvard. He was 6' 7" tall and Harvard wanted him for his basketball skills. If you read the story, note his comments about Brighton Beach and the Viet Nam war. I'm going to contact him and see if he'll participate in an oral history and website I and the family of Michael Klenfner, a common friend of ours are planning as a tribute/remembrance site. I'm sure he will.

I really remember and love that era. Thanks Bill.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great photos. I'm a fan of the notch morning coat
peepwall[1].gif

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great pics. It's hard to believe that less than 50 years ago that this was an American commencement.

Is that David Rockefeller speaking?

9kt3x2.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
Great pics. It's hard to believe that less than 50 years ago that this was an American commencement.

It does look like him...I thought it was Pusey at first, but Pusey is actually in regalia in the University Hall shots, which makes more sense anyway.

- B

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC

9kt3x2.jpg

It does look like him...I thought it was Pusey at first, but Pusey is actually in regalia in the University Hall shots, which makes more sense anyway.

- B

D Rockefeller would have been 46 in 1961 and it sure looks like him:

11005-David_Rockefeller.jpg

But, I don't know. Being a Texas guy, I'll defer to B's opinion.

PS: I just looked closer and note that it appears the speaker in the picture and D Rockefeller part their hair on different sides. My vote is for Pusey.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
D Rockefeller would have been 46 in 1961 and it sure looks like him:

But, I don't know. Being a Texas guy, I'll defer to B's opinion.

No, I do think that is Rockefeller.

- B

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, I do think that is Rockefeller.

- B

What about the hair parting? I'm old, crazy and in Texas. So, perhaps I'm easily fooled.

I've got to go lose money betting on NFL Football now but I bet later it can be definitively checked.

Signing out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads