• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

ennui

Reaction score
I'm 5'5" and a 29" BOC blazer goes to right above where my butt meets my thighs (the "standard" measure of a proper blazer length, though I like my blazers shorter). What BOC-hem measurement for a pea coat would be recommended for someone with my measurements, to avoid the "got from dad" look? 30"? I would never wear a blazer underneath BTW, and I'm not into cropped peacoats that end at my waist.

bb714

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SLeiber32
Any way to track your Sterlingwear order or is it just a waiting game?

What coat did you order?

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this sterlingwear downsizing must be the most ridiculous thing to those people ever...

"whats up with all these people ordering peacoats in womens and kids sizes????"

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
this sterlingwear downsizing must be the most ridiculous thing to those people ever...

"whats up with all these people ordering peacoats in womens and kids sizes????"

I actually went into a surplus store to try on some peacoats. It's run by an old guy with a straight to the point no **** John Wayne type demeanor. All they had was Avirex. Tried on some anyway. Was bulging in the waist so I inoffensively commented that I would have to have it taken in. I didn't even think he was listening. The guy nearly jumped on me: "What?!! What are you, some type of woman? You wanna look pretty and show your pretty hips? It's a military coat, pretty-boy." To which I jokingly replied: "Don't military guys have some of the most form-fitting uniforms?" He babbled something under his breath and snorted.

SLeiber32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
I actually went into a surplus store to try on some peacoats. It's run by an old guy with a straight to the point no **** John Wayne type demeanor. All they had was Avirex. Tried on some anyway. Was bulging in the waist so I inoffensively commented that I would have to have it taken in. I didn't even think he was listening. The guy nearly jumped on me: "What?!! What are you, some type of woman? You wanna look pretty and show your pretty hips? It's a military coat, pretty-boy." To which I jokingly replied: "Don't military guys have some of the most form-fitting uniforms?" He babbled something under his breath and snorted.

Hahaha that's priceless. Avirex isn't even real military clothing though, is it? Isn't it just military inspired urbanwear pants too big, shirt to my knees crap?

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha that's priceless. Avirex isn't even real military clothing though, is it? Isn't it just military inspired urbanwear pants too big, shirt to my knees crap?

It may have been Alpha - one of those two. I think these peacoats are pre-Avirex selling out to Ecko (or whoever bought them).

JOoa0ky

Reaction score
Any way to track your Sterlingwear order or is it just a waiting game?

I didn't get any notifications. It just showed up in a week.

Foxtrot56

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Eh what? Military uniforms are not at all form fitting. Maybe some of the dress uniforms are a bit but the day to day wear is baggy. So you can work in it without being restrained. Also attempting to talk style, fashion and tailoring with a grizzly man working at a surplus store was a horrible and risky idea.

basho

Reaction score
Has anyone actually seen/worn the Mil-Spec version? I'm curious how it feels in comparison to the standard. Heavier? Warmer? And does the color ever look navy?

thinksimple

Reaction score
I rarely post (let alone post photos of WAWT, etc.), but I didn't see any posts for Band of Outsiders coats in this thread. I picked this up not too long ago, and I was thinking of replacing the gold buttons with wood/horn buttons for an understated look. After wearing it for awhile, I think I'm going to stick with gold. Another neat detail: inside the coat, there's a tag stating that this was a union-made garment in NYC. Pretty cool if you ask me.
photoew.jpg

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JOoa0ky
34-35" chest... 30R. My new phone has crappy camera. I suppose it is relatively tight but I'm pretty use to wearing tight jackets so it doesn't really bother me. I can fit a jcrew hooded fleece under it but the top button gets a bit hard to do.

Maybe it's just the photos but it looks like it's bunching up/forming ripples on the sides from being too tight. That's just how it looks to me, however, If your happy with how it looks/feels then enjoy it.

remn

Reaction score
Sterlingwear Authentic 36R. The chest is just a little bit too tight; can't quite cross my arms when layered with a sweatshirt. Shame because the rest of it fits perfect. Putting up for sale in B/S unless someone can convince me to keep this.

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics