• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Yeah, I've never understood why these german small and "mid" size sedans have such tiny rear leg room. Volvos too, I've found.

I'm not sure, but it probably has something to do that someone who buys a 3 or 5 series is alone in the car almost 95% of the time. It's not very common to carpool or make long trips with the entire family outside of the annual family vacation.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
You're buying a Chrysler to avoid service fees... right...

Yea a $95 oil change versus a $900 oil change.
facepalm.gif

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer
****** cell phone pic of my new E90 M3 Sedan. Bawlin, I am sure you will LOVE this color
musicboohoo[1].gif

As much as I dislike the color, I certainly wouldn't kick it out of bed that's for damn sure.

DCT or 6-speed?

I'd love to hear someone's review on DCT.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
As much as I dislike the color, I certainly wouldn't kick it out of bed that's for damn sure.

DCT or 6-speed?

I had a DCT M3 and it was great. The shifting is ridiculously fast and smooth. I would highly recommend it, even over manual.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Just talked to my guy at MB. Build date is still as planned, 12/14. Odds so/so I'll have my new baby before Xmas...and I'm driving a crappy rental Nissan Pathfinder atm
frown.gif
It doesn't even have a navi!

How will you locate the nearest foie gras farms and overpriced wineries?
confused.gif

Robes of Executiveness

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
facepalm.gif

Avoid the dealer anyway. DIY so they don't overfill or give substandard oil. I guarantee, NONE of them offer what you should be putting in it, which is Lubro Moly 5w40 - a group IV FULL synthetic.

Runs about $7 a bottle at NAPA

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
How will you locate the nearest foie gras farms and overpriced wineries?
confused.gif

This is just to drive to work. Thankfully, we have the wife's MB for weekends.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robes of Executiveness
Avoid the dealer anyway. DIY so they don't overfill ....
I had this problem a few weeks ago with the dealer. They overfilled the car, then after I returned it, they let out too much. This was all after an expensive B service.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I had this problem a few weeks ago with the dealer. They overfilled the car, then after I returned it, they let out too much. This was all after a $1700.00 B service.
Ok. Why the overfilling? I don't understand. I've also never had a shop change oil in anything I drive so it was never something I was concerned with.

Robes of Executiveness

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Ok. Why the overfilling? I don't understand. I've also never had a shop change oil in anything I drive so it was never something I was concerned with.
Because most of these shop techs drive cars other than the ones they're working on, and don't know the specs for the oil they should be using or how much to fill. They use those jiffy lube barrels with the quick fill hose for a fast "nascar" change, most likely. I'm one of the ones who actually knows the owners manual for my car for just such things.

When I had them fill it for my previous VW while it was under warranty, I always brought in the bottles of oil (mobil 0w40 at the time - now lubro moly with my Audi). Never had a sludge problem with the VW like so many others. Whether it was due to using non full synth-substandard oil, or a combo of that and high mileage between changes, who knows what caused it. They all set the trip computers on these cars for 8000-15,000mi intervals for oil, well bud, you're not going to do it on crap dealer oil. AND they're overcharghing you for it.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin

DCT or 6-speed?

Glad to hear you are coming around on SSII
smile.gif

I have DCT, only have 300 miles on the car, but so far so good. DCT is incredibly fast, the sift lights are a cool function too. Love all the different M settings. Once I get to paly around with the DCT some more I will report back
cheers.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because most of these shop techs drive cars other than the ones they're working on, and don't know the specs for the oil they should be using or how much to fill. They use those jiffy lube barrels with the quick fill hose for a fast "nascar" change, most likely. I'm one of the ones who actually knows the owners manual for my car for just such things. When I had them fill it for my previous VW while it was under warranty, I always brought in the bottles of oil (mobil 0w40 at the time - now lubro moly with my Audi). Never had a sludge problem with the VW like so many others. Whether it was due to using non full synth-substandard oil, or a combo of that and high mileage between changes, who knows what caused it. They all set the trip computers on these cars for 8000-15,000mi intervals for oil, well bud, you're not going to do it on crap dealer oil. AND they're overcharghing you for it.
Awful. I'll keep changing my own oil, then.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
facepalm.gif

With the Chrysler, the oil change is the least of your maintenance worries. My uncle had a 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited V8, which was a nightmare even for someone who meticulously cared for it. Plus, why not just do the oil change yourself?

Not saying it is a bad vehicle, but I've never heard of anyone buying a Chrysler for their maintenance costs, service costs and reliability. Most people I know would buy a Jeep for offroading capabilities and cheap purchase price.

sjd

Reaction score
Because most of these shop techs drive cars other than the ones they're working on, and don't know the specs for the oil they should be using or how much to fill. They use those jiffy lube barrels with the quick fill hose for a fast "nascar" change, most likely. I'm one of the ones who actually knows the owners manual for my car for just such things.

When I had them fill it for my previous VW while it was under warranty, I always brought in the bottles of oil (mobil 0w40 at the time - now lubro moly with my Audi). Never had a sludge problem with the VW like so many others. Whether it was due to using non full synth-substandard oil, or a combo of that and high mileage between changes, who knows what caused it. They all set the trip computers on these cars for 8000-15,000mi intervals for oil, well bud, you're not going to do it on crap dealer oil. AND they're overcharghing you for it.

2 of my 3 cars (3rd is a company car) only get Motul full synthetic oil. Actually all the fluids are Motul. My dealer is involved with motorsports so they stock it at a price that is only slightly higher than the factory oil.

Thomas0302

Reaction score
Does anyone here own an Audi TT? Are the maintenance and repair costs much that bad?

I'm also looking at a Volvo V70. Any opinions between the two? I'm 23 (i.e. no kids or anything to carry around so a big sedan is not really necessary) and plan on buying used if that makes a difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads