• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere - The Sceptical Shopper

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
And don't forget, if your yarn comes from Scotland, anywhere in Scotland, your sweater will be superior to ANY sweater made with Chinese yarn.
boxing[1].gif

That's what I get for trying to help.

Have fun combing your sweater.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
The rep in NY said combing it is for the pilling not the shedding, so I didn't get the comb.

If this sweater stops shedding after I wear it a few times, what will your reply be? That you were wrong?

If you weren't exaggerating when you described the problem, the only solution is to return it.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, not exaggerating.

What I find hard to believe is that Ralph Lauren would put an inferior product, from their premier label, on the shelves of its stores knowing full well that this flaw is so easily identifiable, as is the case with the shedding problem I'm referring to. This particular cable knit cashmere sweater has been out for well over a year now.

It would put a major ding in the reputation of the Purple Label line to have such an obvious flaw imo, especially given the intial price point of $900.

With that said, I am truly hoping the shedding problem goes away, because if it doesn't, and I do end up returning it, I will definitely be disappointed, given that RLPL has such high standards from every other product I've seen (and I've handled a lot of it).

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Have you handled the RLPL men's butt thong? That was definitely high quality stuff.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not? I clearly worked on you...

If it weren't for SF, you might still be reveling in RLPL cashmere fluff, thinking that its worth every penny.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
Why not? I clearly worked on you...

If it weren't for SF, you might still be reveling in RLPL cashmere fluff, thinking that its worth every penny.

If it weren't for SF, I wouldn't own any RLPL to begin with.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If it weren't for SF, I wouldn't own any RLPL to begin with.
And now you've got so much you're able to sell a shitload of it in your sig!! What a country!!! In Soviet Styleforvm, Ralph Lauren sells you!!

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some sublime stuff by Alan Paine for N.Peale, from back in the day when the £/$ rate was prit' near even.
inlove.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nope, not exaggerating.

What I find hard to believe is that Ralph Lauren would put an inferior product, from their premier label, on the shelves of its stores knowing full well that this flaw is so easily identifiable, as is the case with the shedding problem I'm referring to. This particular cable knit cashmere sweater has been out for well over a year now.

It would put a major ding in the reputation of the Purple Label line to have such an obvious flaw imo, especially given the intial price point of $900.

With that said, I am truly hoping the shedding problem goes away, because if it doesn't, and I do end up returning it, I will definitely be disappointed, given that RLPL has such high standards from every other product I've seen (and I've handled a lot of it).

I tried on a cable knit cashmere RL sweater yesterday. It was in my typical size but all the elasticity in the hem was gone and it did not hang well. I was disappointed because I had been looking for this particular sweater all season, but unfortunately, the quality of it was too poor for its $475.00 price tag.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I tried on a cable knit cashmere RL sweater yesterday. It was in my typical size but all the elasticity in the hem was gone and it did not hang well. I was disappointed because I had been looking for this particular sweater all season, but unfortunately, the quality of it was too poor for its $475.00 price tag.

Was that a RLPL sweater on sale? Or blue label? I haven't tried any of the blue label ones but even at $475 that's too high for me

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Nope, not exaggerating.

When China began limiting its exports of raw cashmere fiber and producing their own yarns in the 1990's, it caused a glut of cheap yarn and finished cashmere garments in the market, and caused prices to plummet. Meanwhile, Scottish manufacturers saw their fiber supplies dry up or disappear altogether. I'm sorry to see these manufacturers reacting the way they are to the new reality: instead of lowering their quality they should have simply raised their prices, and allow the market to separate naturally into people who want long-term durability and are willing to pay for it, and those who're just interested in low price and a soft feel, and don't care about durability.

Italian manufacturers seem to be taking this latter approach, and so far have fared the Chinese storm much better than their Scottish counterparts. Loro Piana recently opened a fiber processing facility in Mongolia, Cucinelli and others are sticking to their traditional minimum quality specs for fiber, etc. I think the current best advice is to stick with these higher-end Italian labels until the Scottish industry hopefully adjusts to producing much lower volumes with traditional quality, instead of lowering their quality in a futile attempt to compete with the Chinese, and inevitably going out of business altogether.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
Cucinelli and others are sticking to their traditional minimum quality specs for fiber, etc.

Could you elaborate a little as to your opinion of Cucinelli as it seems to be the gold standard on SF

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads