• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My dad died on Wednesday

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
My dad was a good guy. He taught me to tie a tie and how to hit a baseball.

When I would visit he would ask me if I wanted to go hit a bucket of balls at the driving range. I always said no thanks. I really regret that now.

He suffered a stroke Tuesday night and within hours it had caused him to be on a respirator with a morhpine drip. Wednesday afternoon the family decided that because he didn't want to be left on life support and because the prognosis was not good for surgery, that the respirator would be removed. He passed peacefully less than thrity minutes later. I am thankful that he was not in any pain. But I miss him.

Go out and hit that bucket of balls with your dad when he asks. Even though he's kinda joking because he knows you don't golf and you have a bum shoulder. Go do it. You'll be happy you did.

bob

I'm really sorry for your loss.

I went through a very similar situation. Dad died a few years ago (when I was 19). He always wanted to go out, play golf, get outdoors, spend time together, but I was too much of a dick to appreciate it.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lpresq
Heh?? Im not sure religion has anything to do with this.

His statement had nothing to do with religion, he was referring to how the Jewish culture responds to and deals with a death.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really sorry to hear the bad news, Bob. It's huge loss.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bob, sorry to hear about your loss.

--Andre

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My sincere condolences.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Very sorry to hear of your loss. Your advice is very sage. And I applaud the courage of you and your family in making the choice that you did. You made a choice based on the needs of your father, not on the needs of the family. You did good.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have my condolences.

(Please, trolls if you have nothing nice to say, in this thread at least say nothing at all
plain.gif
)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. Your post made me think. I often feel bad and somewaht guilty for having chosen to live so far from my parents - and today is one of those days.

Reaction score
I'm really sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing with us, and for your advice, I will take it to heart.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bob,

Sorry about your loss. I hope you and your family remember your father fondly for many healthy, happy years.

Originally Posted by HORNS
His statement had nothing to do with religion, he was referring to how the Jewish culture responds to and deals with a death.

+1, he was talking about Jewish law and his belief that it was well conceived, nothing more

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My condolences Bob. Your post reminds me of when my father passed. I remember being on a golf outing and around the 11th hole he said he didn't feel well and was going back to the clubhouse to take a rest. I'd probably had 6 or 10 beers by then and instead of showing concern I gave him a nice dose of some good-natured **** about getting old. Later that week he got diagnosed with lung cancer and it was then that I realized his lungs just weren't getting enough oxygen that day. I felt pretty bad about what I said.

My dad was my best friend and I still miss him 20 years later. It was very painful at first...paralyzing actually. But as time goes on things get better and if you had a good relationship, and it sounds like you did, you will only remember the good times and smile. Often I ask myself, "what would dad say/think?", and try to act accordingly. I hope that you had time to say your final peace and no matter, be grateful that the end was quick and painless. And always remember that death is a part of life and that the pain will eventually fade...and that your dad continues living through you. Again, my deepest sympathies.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
My condolences to you and your family at this time Bob.

If you dont mind me asking, how old was he?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. Your post made me think. I often feel bad and somewaht guilty for having chosen to live so far from my parents - and today is one of those days.

I see and interact with my folks everyday, albeit in our own dysfunctional ways, and yet I cannot stand them as much as up to a certain degree they cannot stand me too. I have often thought about this and I don't wanna do the guilt and regret thing when they're gone and I wish things were different.

Taking our folks for granted is more of a rule than the exception I guess... I do share Bob's sentiment of spending more quality time with your folks before its too late and in my own way I do my bit to make it right with my folks. Call them up, share a drink or smoke with them, goto their house and hang out, send your kids to visit.... its gonna be worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads