• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

thomasec

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thomasec
Can I take it to a cobbler or Red Wing store to stretch them out? I really love the way the black GT's look, and there doesn't seem to be much out there in the same price range.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Curious_George

Reaction score
You can try, but I can say from my own experience that gaining width in the toe area is difficult. A good cobbler might be able to, but I've tried my shoe stretcher multiple times on pair of narrow boots I have and have never really gained enough room in the toe box to make it comfortable. Personally I would just size up and throw in an insole. I had to buy my GTs true to size because of how narrow they are and although they're a bit long they fit great once I throw in my insoles.

thomasec

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Curious_George
You can try, but I can say from my own experience that gaining width in the toe area is difficult. A good cobbler might be able to, but I've tried my shoe stretcher multiple times on pair of narrow boots I have and have never really gained enough room in the toe box to make it comfortable. Personally I would just size up and throw in an insole. I had to buy my GTs true to size because of how narrow they are and although they're a bit long they fit great once I throw in my insoles.

Hmm...thanks for the input George.

I may contact my local Red Wing store to see if they have an industrial machine that can stretch out their boots.

If not....anyone looking for a black, 8.5 GT?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious_George - thanks for the info re: 1907s. I had similar issues to you with regard to toe room and actually sized UP half a size vs. my usual dress shoe size. Probably makes sense since the GTs are on a larger last.

Nice and comfy with some thick wool socks. Trying to decide if they look too big on me though.

illumin8em

Reaction score
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...07&postcount=1

selling a brand new pair of Iron Rangers 10.5 ($180 or close to it) for the night. need to sell them tonight so that i can use an expiring coupon code to get a size ten.

ironrang20091202_3.jpg

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of Iron Rangers because I wanted a boot to wear while riding my motorcycle and didn't want to tear up my 405s. I got the Oro Russet (8112) colorway.
Overall they fit nice but I'm having trouble with two things.
First, the leather is STIFF! I mean really stiff. The heel counter is so stiff that they are tearing my heels up just below the joint. I'm currently bandaged up from trying to break them in. Hopefull this changes soon as I don't want to buy another box of bandaids.
Also, the metal rivets on are exposed on the backside so they will tear up your socks if you don't lace them tight enough to have the tongue firm behind them.
Hopefully they break in soon as I'm a little tired of blisters and hobbling pain.
If not, they're headed to the sale section and I'm picking up another pair of 405's.

c00kz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjo317
I just got my order of black cherry GTs, and I'm loving them. I sized one down from my Sperrys and it was a perfect fit. On another note, why is everyone's feet so damn big? I'm almost ashamed to say that my GTs are a size 7

So are mine. These look great, I've got room in the front but these are very narrow so the sizing is as low as it goes.. Just looking at the insole is a little alarming, it's as narrow as a bit over an inch. :/

sccoopy

Reaction score
Are my red wings too clunky? My feet are small so I got size 7. So the shoes are rather short. Here are the shots of my boots and I also got a stock picture. It seems that the stock picture shows a much more sleek boots. Maybe these red wings are not for small feet?
4154942958_c4c3376828.jpg
4154181165_a6f0172c03.jpg
4155605241_da46c1d891_o.jpg

Fiddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sccoopy
Here are the shots of my boots and I also got a stock picture. It seems that the stock picture shows a much more sleek boots.

The stock picture you included is from a completely different boot amigo.

sccoopy

Reaction score
OK, I got it fixed. still feel my boots are bulky up front. Is this the way red wings should look?

Originally Posted by Fiddy
The stock picture you included is from a completely different boot amigo.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my pair of Chestnut GTs and Briar 8146 (or whatever they are) Now, should I hit those with Obenauf's right away? I'm a bit scared - I don't want the GTs to get too dark since the chestnut looks so cool, and the leather on the other pair looks so nice in that almost black cherry shade (actually think it's same dye as black cherry, just different, non-waterproof leather)

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Got my pair of Chestnut GTs and Briar 8146 (or whatever they are)

Now, should I hit those with Obenauf's right away? I'm a bit scared - I don't want the GTs to get too dark since the chestnut looks so cool, and the leather on the other pair looks so nice in that almost black cherry shade (actually think it's same dye as black cherry, just different, non-waterproof leather)

What Would Lady Ga Ga Do?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics