• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

APC NS = Fender Strat of jeans?

brandall10

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Let's be real, the Strat was meant to be a mass produced assembly line kind of guitar, not some sort of precious artisan relic.
Ha, totally. I think that's the beauty of the strat, classic tool that gets out of your way. No muss. The APC is a simple jean with a good cut and decent quality denim. The Fender Strat is a simple guitar with a recognizable shape/sound. A strat is easily arguable to be far from the 'best' guitar, but many people with unlimited means play them regardless. The basic idea in my mind they is that they are entry-level 'good', but iconic.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Let's be real, the Strat was meant to be a mass produced assembly line kind of guitar, not some sort of precious artisan relic.

I think that's his point.

I'm still looking in vain for a basic simple, ideal pair of jeans that embody all the really good qualities of great denim with the simple, no-frills, no bells-and-whistles idea of workwear. I don't want precious. I don't want 'limited edition', really. I want something I can come back to again and again, in one year or ten.

Realy, I want a pair of jeans that are really well made, but a 'blank canvas'. Just like you may want a guitar with a neutral, predictable sound. You my have lots of other, more expensive and unique guitars or jeans, but it's nice to pull out the ones that are simple and bare-bones.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
who is going to make the clarks desert boot = fender strat of shoes thread?

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
who is going to make the clarks desert boot = fender strat of shoes thread?

Not even the same ballpark--hell, same city!

pinoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I owned Diors, Jomons etc so yes. To me APC is the perfectly designed blue jeans. It just integrates better with my wardrobe, lifestyle and aesthetic considerations etc.

+1. Same here. I've tried a slew of denim, and somehow keep returning to APC's NS. My indigo one is practically in shreds and needs crotch repair desperately, and my black pair will suffer the same fate soon....

brandall10

Reaction score
Originally Posted by word
Oh, you want the 008 somets. 003 isn't darted and has a higher rise. Though at your height the darts will go well past your knees, I'm 5'8 and they end below my kneecaps.

Interesting, I swore I thought I read about darts in the 003 once before, but I guess that would make sense to have them in the slim fits.

In a 28 003, that's an 8.5" rise, which is pretty aggressive... I would prefer a slightly more relaxed fit over my 27" NS. In other words, rockstar around my midsection, but not calf-hugging tight down low. I want these to be a somewhat versatile jean if I'm going to wear them alot.

brandall10

Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Not even the same ballpark--hell, same city!

Aw, but the UK made ones (Hint, hint - see my sig) totally are! Hehe.

brandall10

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pinoy
+1. Same here. I've tried a slew of denim, and somehow keep returning to APC's NS. My indigo one is practically in shreds and needs crotch repair desperately, and my black pair will suffer the same fate soon....

So there's a few people in this thread who think this... any of you guys tried Somets?

oshen

Reaction score
I actually had Somets before I bought my APC NS... both are great but imo APCs are more versatile (fit more body types) since they stretch to fit. Another great fitting pair of jeans would be KMW 1980s.

whynot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
I'm still looking in vain for a basic simple, ideal pair of jeans that embody all the really good qualities of great denim with the simple, no-frills, no bells-and-whistles idea of workwear. I don't want precious. I don't want 'limited edition', really. I want something I can come back to again and again, in one year or ten.

(whynot nods in agreement)

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Depends. Do you want another pair of what you have found, on your own body, to be the best fitting pair of jeans you've ever owned? Or do you want the approval of the people who post here?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm facing the same decision. My NS is coming up on the one year mark. They're moderately faded with a hole developing in the pocket, certainly not the dark denim the used to be. Now where is there to go from here? It was my first foray into raw denim and I loved the cut/style. There's just no way I can go back to washed or distressed denim. Unfortunately, I can't justify the price of the FlatHead, PBJ, Samurai, Skulls, etc. that I would really want. That being said, I'm a little wary of even shelling out the cash for some Ande Whall, Crate, 3Sixteen, etc. if I won't like the fit compared to my NS. Do I stick with the tried and true NS? Personally, for the sake of diversity, I am leaning towards getting a different pair. 3Sixteens look mighty tempting.

At this point, I might even break down and experiment with a pair of 501 STF.

brandall10

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Depends. Do you want another pair of what you have found, on your own body, to be the best fitting pair of jeans you've ever owned? Or do you want the approval of the people who post here?

Best fitting jeans I've ever owned... so far. If people talk of things in godly tones my curiousity is piqued. But if there is a significant contingent of those out there who are like "in retrospect, maybe it wasn't so great, back to basics for me" then I think that says something too. I just haven't seen much evidence of the latter on this forum so I thought I'd ask. I definitely am aware of this trend in the world of guitars, but I have way more experience in that regard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads