• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LED tv

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
are plasmas really better? I heard they have a tendency to burn the images on the screen, is this true?
Not really, unless you have the same image on for several days.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are plasmas really better? I heard they have a tendency to burn the images on the screen, is this true?

Were you forzen for 10 years ? Sort of like Austin Powers?

LED TVs are underperforming even LCD . There is absolutely no reason to buy LED tv.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is no longer true. Nor is the idea that they burn out more quickly. I've been looking into TVs for a friend over the last few weeks and at the moment, I'm leaning towards recommending a Panasonic plasma. Originally he was taken with with the idea of a Samsung LED but the top of the line one that I like is around $4k and from reading the reviews that I have, I really can't recommend any others except perhaps an LG which is out of stock everywhere. This is primarily due to issues with darks. The main cons I see discussed with plasmas are the fact that they tend to use more energy leading to higher operating costs over time and also that they can be thicker and heavier. Not sure how true this is currently but I did read one thing about LCDs being better for daytime viewing or with lots of bright lights because there is less glare. Plasmas, due to the glass screens, produce more glare but also have much better blacks (the really expensive LED LCDs are getting close) and are better at night. As was mentioned, LCDs tend to have problems with uniformity of the backlight and also not as good viewing angles. If I had to buy a TV today, I'd get a plasma and sit tight waiting for OLED screens to become affordable. That could be quite a while though. Edit: Also, do some reading on the web on HDGuru, AVSforums or even Gizmodo.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Were you forzen for 10 years ? Sort of like Austin Powers?

LED TVs are underperforming even LCD . There is absolutely no reason to buy LED tv.

really? Then why is the LED about 1000 more than an LCD?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
really? Then why is the LED about 1000 more than an LCD?
New technology + marketing. Also, I don't agree that they are underperforming from what little I've read on the topic.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Originally he was taken with with the idea of a Samsung LED but the top of the line one that I like is around $4k...

is this 4k the Samsung with the internet-whatever in it? Because I saw a samsung for 3k, with identical specs to one that was 4k. It appeared the only difference was some internet media thing.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is this 4k the Samsung with the internet-whatever in it? Because I saw a samsung for 3k, with identical specs to one that was 4k. It appeared the only difference was some internet media thing.

I can't remember the exact model number but it is their top of the line model. The 8500 series.

The LG that was looking like a good deal is the LH90 series. Biggest complaint I read about it was some audio sync issues but I read that they were fixed with a firmware update and weren't a problem when running through a HT system in any case; which is probably not a bad idea since most of these high-end TVs don't really have good audio.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
I can't remember the exact model number but it is their top of the line model. The 8500 series.

The LG that was looking like a good deal is the LH90 series. Biggest complaint I read about it was some audio sync issues but I read that they were fixed with a firmware update and weren't a problem when running through a HT system in any case; which is probably not a bad idea since most of these high-end TVs don't really have good audio.

yeah, I'm forsure going to hook up a home theatre system to it, so the actual set's audio is not really a selling point for me.

confused

Reaction score
i sold tvs during the summer at an electronics store.

plasma is really the way to go.

better PQ, faster response (refresh rate "Hz" is just part of the advertising game. its all about the response time. typically 8-5 ms for an LCD compared to .0001 ms for plasma...)

as for the "glare" issue. yes they generally have a little more glare than LCDs because glass reflects light where as plastic absorbs light. however, a lot of LCD manufacturers use very glossy screens to compete with plasmas (typically samsung..even worse on LEDs) which brings the glare pretty close.

as for burn in. under normal use, plasmas will not burn in. but dont buy samsungs "ultraslim" plasmas because they have a greater tendency to burn in because they generate more heat.

as for power consumption. everyone likes to be an environmentalist. but if your paying $4000 for a new tv, are you really concerned with saving a few bucks on ur electricity bill?

Verno Inferno

Reaction score
The Samsung UNB8500 series (LED LCD) is fantastic, if you ask me. I think it's pretty damn impressive. It blows every LCD I've seen out of the water. But it's four grand. And it doesn't blow the Panasonic V10s out of the water where PQ is concerned. The V10 is also $2,000 cheaper and has much better viewing angles than the LED.

The viewing angle issue... I never thought much about it. I owned a DLP, and I just sorta got used to the fact that you had to be sitting straight in front of it at eye level. Then it got struck by lightening and I scored the V10 as a replacement. With the V10's plasma viewing angles, parties are much more fun. When the boys come over to watch UFC, the picture doesn't fade away when for the fellas sitting to the side. Also, if you own a Wii a plasma is fantastic because you don't need to be concerned with the viewing angle issues when you're hopping around your living room.

If I had $4,000 to put into my home theater and I had to buy a TV... I'd buy a Panasonic V10 instead of the UNB8500, and put the other $2,000-2,500 into black-out curtains and some acoustic treatments for my room.

Also, as a once proud owner of one of the earliest Samsung DLPs, I encourage you to let other people beta test those LED televisions for Samsung. They shouldn't have put those DLPs out with those crappy color wheels. Lord knows what's lurking in these LED tvs that is going to have the first run owners pissed off in 2 years.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Panasonic V10 is the plasma I alluded to earlier as the one I was going to recommend to my friend.

r...

Reaction score
Yes, the Panasonic V10 is the plasma I alluded to earlier as the one I was going to recommend to my friend.
FWIW and multiple HD TV review sites, did is probably the best TV being produced right now. Im sure the OP has already considered the following but it doesnt hurt to mention: Insure the viewing distance + size of screen will necessitates or will give you a viewable difference in in going from 720 to 1080 (a good 720p 50" will actually save you money if 1080p isnt viewable from where youre sitting). 240hz is a wash LED is a wash (even with local dimming this technology needs to improve) Energy consumption has gotten a lot better. Dont use in store TV comparisons. The tech plateau in HD TVs currently make last years model a better deal.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see more and more manufacturers pushing ultra-slim LED LCD tvs. LG recently came out with a "borderless" tv. Unless these things are super important you might as well spring for a non-LED tv that's on the cheap. I ended up scoring a year-old JVC from my parents, and it's worked well for me so far. Consumer Reports listed it as one of their top models in their size range, for what that's worth. I didn't want to get a plasma because I do a lot of gaming, sometimes for hours at a time on weekends, which does make burn-in an issue.

chas

Reaction score

I just bought a Panasonic G10 and unless your friend is into cinema and cares about 24P playback I would go with the G10 over the V10. It is much less expensive and has the same display as the V10.

AVS forum was a huge help to me and the G10 looks amazing.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though out of production for a couple of months now the Pioneer plasmas are still out there. As an example, the Pioneer KRP-500 is available now under $2000 and it along with the similar Elite Pro-101 model are considered the best 50" TV ever made as far as the picture quality is concerned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads