• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good tailor in Vancouver?

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's not really the right forum but has anyone had denim done? suggestions?

i've got a pair that i want to keep but need them slimmed down or tapered. the quality and colour are ideal it's just the legs are a lot bigger than expected

bluetony

Reaction score
Samson's in terms of suits or shirts? His MTM suits are very nice and pricing is reasonable. Better fit than Harry's for sure. Steve will make necessary adjustments until you are happy with the suit. Shirts are up to $100, depending on the quality of the cloth. www.stevesamson.org

codemonkey

Reaction score
Hi there, I just moved to Vancouver for my first job and I'm just starting to build a business wardrobe but don't have the budget for fancy stuff ($100+ MTM shirts is too much) etc. I bought some shirts on sale at the Bay for $35 etc and they fit pretty well but I figured they'd look better if I had the sides brought in to make a slimmer look. Can this be done? How much am I looking at and does anyone have any good recommendations for someone to do the alterations?

R-H

Reaction score
Oakridge Tailors
(604) 325-0545
5534 Cambie St

DJT

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I would just like to say that I joined this forum specifically to express my absolute displeasure in dealing with Steve Samson. The guy is a complete flake and a phony. I had 3 shirts made from him earlier this year and when I called him back a couple of weeks after placing my order he informed me that he had forgotten to put the order in (!!!). Not only this but, as others in this forum have expressed, he sends out the orders and has nothing to do with the construction. When my shirts were finally I tried one on and it looked like it was made for Homer Simpson. He kept trying to tell my how "beautiful" the fit was and all kinds of other garbage when, other than fitting well around the neck, I would have been better off walking into a department store with my eyes closed and grabbing any shirt that I found.

Needless to say I have not been back although he continues to send me emails trumpeting himself as the second coming of Tom Ford. Completely ridiculous, I give him an F minus.

Not that I have strong opinions or anything...

BTW, love the forum!

SteveSamson51

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
Try the Giuseppe in post #88 above, just send him $5,000 and see what you get. Oh, and let us know how it turns out. I have not turned up a single bespoke tailor on the CDN westcoast in my over ten years out here. In my experience, they all talk a good story, but ask a few questions and you'll find you're just getting MTM, at worst from a Toronto or Montreal chop shop. Good luck to you, though - I'd love to be proved wrong!

There are other mtm options in Vancouver that may yield pleasant results - the Isaia mtm at Holt Renfrew is good. Belvest at EA Lee looks promissing but I've not taken the plunge.

My name is STeve Samson my father had a store in Vancouver since 1951 Called Sam's Shirt Shop

We have made suits on premise in the tradition of Angelo who I think makes the best shaped suit in Vancouver.

Its very hard to appreciate the quality in these "web threads as there are no pictures and few here have had a high end suit made in Saville Row. I recommend that you send to me your pictures and I can support you all on how to talk to tailors.
bigstar[1].gif
bigstar[1].gif

As Angelo and my self the essence of a good suit is that cut and fitting on premise. But even before that, it is important to see a sample garments shape. This way one can develop a much needed eye for understanding.

We like to put quality in not just the shape but the cut that creates the shape.

Essential guidelines that separate the men from the boys are:

Collars that hug the neck.
Chests that are full, (for wallets etc)
No wrinkles or folds even after months of wear.
Fronts that close without buttoning
Sleeves that fall cleanly from and back
Sleeves that are trim because the armhole is reduced for a complimentary silhouette
(best to augment a pin stripe)

SteveSamson51

Reaction score
Originally Posted by office drone
Anyone know a good tailor in Vancouver? Preferably someone who recognizes the modern slim fits these days as I would like to update the fit of my suits.

Thanks.

I would be happy to taper your suit slacks. Some pleated slacks would have to be completely taken apart.

We are primarily cut on premise bespoke tailors ( 35 years) So we can guarantee them

Last edited by a moderator:

Skip2MyPou

Reaction score
Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a good denim talior that offers chain stitching near Vancouver or if not, within Canada?

rrazzorr

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of posts with regards to custom shirts. But wonder if there was a good tailor in Vancouver to have alterations done on a jacket.

Its currently a 40s but I typically wear 38-39.

I am considering Modernize Tailors but am wary as I need the alterations to be done in a timely manner. Within a week if possible.

Can anyone recommend a good tailor near downtown Vancouver that can do work on suit and tuxedo jackets?

Thanks!

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally not SF related, but Vancouver is one of those places I can't for the life me understand why it gets so much attention. It's treated like it's some huge international city that everybody seems to know about, but Seattle, just down the road, is bigger yet barely talked about in the U.S. How then can a city smaller than Seattle, with almost the same geographic attributes as it, become so prominent? For example, why did Vancouver get the winter olympics but not Seattle? was Seattle even on the radar? I'm not biased one way or the other, just curious. In Washington state people are barely even aware of Vancouver's existence, if they don't just confuse it with the tiny city of Vancouver, Washington....but some random dude in Europe automatically knows Vancouver BC.

bjan

Reaction score
At the risk of going off topic even futher. . .

Well yeah, the IOC was just randomly tossing darts at a globe and gave the Olympics to Vancouver. That is how they normally do things. Absolutely nothing to do with say, a bidding process and all the politics that come with that.

Of course Seattle should have had the Olympics because it's bigger. That's the answer to everything.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
Totally not SF related, but Vancouver is one of those places I can't for the life me understand why it gets so much attention. It's treated like it's some huge international city that everybody seems to know about, but Seattle, just down the road, is bigger yet barely talked about in the U.S. How then can a city smaller than Seattle, with almost the same geographic attributes as it, become so prominent? For example, why did Vancouver get the winter olympics but not Seattle? was Seattle even on the radar? I'm not biased one way or the other, just curious. In Washington state people are barely even aware of Vancouver's existence, if they don't just confuse it with the tiny city of Vancouver, Washington....but some random dude in Europe automatically knows Vancouver BC.

Because Seattle is just some rainy place in the States that happened to be in a movie once, whereas Vancouver is Canada's third largest city, and vacation destination that looks good on postcards to boot. IIRC Canadians form a disproportionate number of English speaking internet users, and it's not like we're going to talk about our ~20th biggest city all the time (have you heard of Barrie?)

Canada may not be very populous, but it has all the advantages of statehood, like having the same number of candidate cities per Olympics, one, as the U.S., despite the fact the latter is ten times larger. I think it also has a disproportionate place in the developed world's consciousness. For example, whatever the merits, it's still in the G8. And look at all the complaining about Copenhagen!

It also has a world famous ski resort nearby, which helped the bid.

That said, once you get here, apart from the view it underwhelms. There is a Brooks Brothers now, which is a start.

Sharp Pointy Stick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dclloyd
To get back on topic ...

Oakridge is very good and would be a good option for you, but they're not the fastest.

I think I will go visit them today during lunch...hopefully they can turn the suit around by next Saturday, as I need it then for a Christmas party.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads