• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone recommend a cobbler in London?

rubbishtheory

Reaction score
Hi
I need a new pair of Dainite soles on some Grenson aviator boots -
I have asked various cobblers in London and many of them either didn't know what a Dainite sole was
or did not have the necessary technology to fit one.

Can anyone recommend a decent cobbler? preferably one who does not want £80+ to do the work.

Thanks in advance -

Vox Populi

Reaction score
Crockett & Jones have an 'approved' cobbler in London. They will also send on other makers shoes. A bit of a 'middle-man' arrangement it seems, but it's worth paying a bit more to save traipsing around...then settling for Timpson's. Alternatively, try The Shoe Healer.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
theres a place called mayfair cobblers i think on the alleyway that joins piccadilly and shepherds market. just opposite green park. they do great work resoled my c&j. i think the street name is white horse street

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rubbishtheory
I asked another local cobbler today and he said it was very hard work fitting a new Dainite sole and he needed a special machine to do it - he could fit leather soles but not Dainite.

Makes absolutely no sense.
Did you ask him why?

SammyD

Reaction score
You could try Kokos in East Finchley - I had a couple of pairs of shoes resoled there and found them very good. I think that C&J use them for some work they outsource (but I may be wrong about this!). As I recall I paid about £60 or so - might be pushing on your £80 figure but definitely worth a phone call I'd have thought.

flatfront

Reaction score
I too would strongly recommnend popping the shoes in to John Ruston - he will be able to help you.

chroMe

Reaction score
yeah, john is a nice guy, he gave me a discount on last pair of shoes I bought and if you tell him you'll be back to buy something or come to him for fixes; i'm sure he'll give you a percentage off too.

fox81

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SammyD
You could try Kokos in East Finchley - I had a couple of pairs of shoes resoled there and found them very good. I think that C&J use them for some work they outsource (but I may be wrong about this!). As I recall I paid about £60 or so - might be pushing on your £80 figure but definitely worth a phone call I'd have thought.

i know the C&J recommended one is in finchley so its a safe bet

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SammyD

I would second this.

londonj

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a cobbler for re-soling in east london/the city? They're a pair of lower grade grensons so not worth spending £80, Timpsons charge £30 but I reckon I can get better results elsewhere for around that price?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads