• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zink & Sons Tailors in Sydney

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've read a thing yet in this thread that says anything useful for or against their ability to cut and tailor. I have looked into their closed premises through the window myself, but won't judge a book by its cover.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
^^^Quite right - we're just having a bit of fun keeping the thread alive until someone pops up who knows something.

Exactly right. I know nothing about them, hence this thread in the first place.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a quick look at their website, and they certainly have quite a history (established in 1895) which obviously says something about them.

I can't help thinking that perhaps all they are missing is a new fitout and some better marketing which would bring in some new younger clients and the clothes are in fact great and they have all of their business based on word of mouth or passed down through the generations, much like many of the Savile Row firms who struggled with the old money clients dying off before guys like Carlo Brandelli came along and worked out that you can actually market Bespoke very well to a different type of clientele.

Their cut is English according to the site.

Intelligent Design

Reaction score
I have a book that's 11 years old which describes Zink's as the "legendary tailor" of Sydney.

Having never been there myself, I can't back such claims.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I've been meaning to drop in for a visit but have never got around to it. They have been on that historical site for several generations now. I imagine that in days gone by that strip was less dogdy than it is today. Rene Rivkin used to be one of their clients.

Let us know if you ever do make it into their store and chat to them, Sator. I'd be greatly interested in your opinions re: their services, quality etc. They've given their website a new makeover FYI.

Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
I had a quick look at their website, and they certainly have quite a history (established in 1895) which obviously says something about them.

I can't help thinking that perhaps all they are missing is a new fitout and some better marketing which would bring in some new younger clients and the clothes are in fact great and they have all of their business based on word of mouth or passed down through the generations, much like many of the Savile Row firms who struggled with the old money clients dying off before guys like Carlo Brandelli came along and worked out that you can actually market Bespoke very well to a different type of clientele.

Their cut is English according to the site.

Yeah, I suspect Daniel (the youngest son of Robert Jones, the head honcho at the firm for the last 30+ years and who is now working with his father as a cutter) is probably responsible for the new web presence and advertising of the company. And that's undoubtedly the way to go. Heck, if even venerable old Savile Row tailors have websites and even online MTM (something many of those same firms would have scoffed at just a short time ago), then so must Australian firms like Zink. A company as old as they (since 1895, so they must have done something right and, presumably, still do so) needs to get out there and promote their services and make people aware they exist.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I visited Zink & Sons yesterday and spoke with Daniel and Robert Jones extensively. Very friendly and knowledgeable people. I've decided to commission them for a bespoke suit in a dark grey Prince of Wales fabric from Holland & Sherry. Robert and Daniel work closely together with their suit commissions, and I was very impressed with their service and the quality of their fabrics. I'm looking forward to my first fitting with them soon.

taipan168

Reaction score
I ordered a suit from Zink a few years ago and just ordered another this past weekend. I was very happy with the fit of the suit and the service that I received the first time around, but I haven't worn the suit that much because a) the fabric is quite a bold pinstripe that I haven't been brave enough to wear that often and b) I put on a bit of weight which meant that the trouser waist was a little too tight.

Anyway, ordering my second suit from them has inspired me to start wearing the original one again, and I must say I'm as pleased with the fit as when I first bought it.

foulard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I don't think I've read a thing yet in this thread that says anything useful for or against their ability to cut and tailor. I have looked into their closed premises through the window myself, but won't judge a book by its cover.

I'm new to this so please pardon any ignorance that I may be displaying or lack of decorum.

I just wanted to say that I have had two bespoke suits made by Zink, one about 9 years ago and the other around 5 years ago.

The first one was a H & S chalkstripe in relatively heavy wool double breasted, working button holes, double venting, jets and flaps. The second one was a dinner suit with notched satin lapels and matching satin stripe down the outside leg. Both have served me very well for many years and they still look new.

The only gripe I have is not with the garments but with Mr Jones himself. When I went to their shop for my first suit, a very nice old English gentleman with funny uneven shoulders attended to me and my measuring including a full and friendly discussion about what would suit my type of body. I never saw that man again but instead dealt with Mr Jones (not the son). I found him on every occasion to be cold, stand offish and slightly bitter about everything. The sort of person who after you ask him how he is and how business is going, doesnt show any interest in you in return (not even fake interest for social correctness sake). On that basis I found it to be a relatively cold and impersonal experience. I even tried to took him a few customers being family to me and they in turn commissioned around 4 or 5 suits each. Still, not a friendly word.

Maybe I'm wrong but for me, I like a bit more of a personal touch so that the whole experience is enjoyable not only the receipt of a competent garment in the end.

In terms of their style, very old fashioned Saville Row. Very structured and angular, padded shoulders but cut to perfection, and put together flawlessly. They have a particularly good ability to match patterns when they join various parts of the coat.

Hope this is of assistance.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found Mr Robert Jones (the business owner) to be very friendly when I went there my first time. He related stories to me about how that part of Sydney used to look, who he's cut for and more. He seemed genuinly interested in the history of the place and his business. As I'm also very interested in that topic, I found it fascinating just listening to him. His son, Daniel, was similarly friendly. Everyone has a bad day here and there, though. We'll see how things go with my first fitting.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Braved the awful Sydney weather today for my first fitting. Went very well. The fabric looks excellent. Some adjustments here and there and I'll be back for my second fitting in a couple weeks or so. I'm very pleased with the overall process so far. Everything is going very smoothly.

foulard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Braved the awful Sydney weather today for my first fitting. Went very well. The fabric looks excellent. Some adjustments here and there and I'll be back for my second fitting in a couple weeks or so. I'm very pleased with the overall process so far. Everything is going very smoothly.

I'm glad you've found them more friendly. I've never met the son, as he wasn't part of the business when I was a customer. Maybe the son's influence and presence has made the father happier.

Did he ask you anything about yourself though? expressing an interest in you or what is just about him and his business?

By the way what are they creating for you?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foulard
I'm glad you've found them more friendly. I've never met the son, as he wasn't part of the business when I was a customer. Maybe the son's influence and presence has made the father happier.

Did he ask you anything about yourself though? expressing an interest in you or what is just about him and his business?

By the way what are they creating for you?

Yes, I think Daniel's inclusion in the business (since 2004 according to their website) has helped in this regard, also to modernise the business somewhat (the website, email etc. etc.). We spoke about myself (where I work, where I live and what it's like there, where I'll wear the suit, things like that) and Robert spoke about the business, how long he's been working there, how that part of Sydney used to be like, some of his past clients, what style of cut used to be in fashion and no longer is and more. I'm interested in that sort of thing, so I was happy to listen and engage him in the conversation along those lines. Very friendly, very professional and they both clearly know what they're doing.

They're creating a two-piece suit in a dark grey PoW fabric from Holland & Sherry for me. Fabric looks really good, exactly what I was looking for.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
I would like to see some pics of the suit when it's done (and during fittings as well if possible). Hope it all turns out well for you.

I'm happy to show photos of the finished suit on me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads