• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vacuum Cleaners

Nino_Grier

Reaction score
I know you already made your purchase, but has anyone else had good experience with Kirby vacuums?

I know the original retail on these things is insane, but I bought a used Kirby Ultimate G Diamond Edition off eBay a few years ago for around $400 and it has been excellent to say the least. It has a stainless steel body, two speed motor, and even a shampoo attachment, all very well made. I don't know why my wife insisted on light beige carpeting, but this vacuum has kept them clean for over two years.

The only caveat is that it's not bagless, but I've found a years supply of bags for around $45. Money well spent IMO.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by earthdragon
Just pulled the Trigger on a Miele S Series - 'Calypso'.
Time will tell, how it works out for her.

Arrived tonight - Design and Function appear pretty good.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by earthdragon
Arrived tonight - Design and Function appear pretty good.

Congrats. I don't get excited about gadgets generally, and it was expensive, but our Meile seems like it will last forever.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nino_Grier
I know you already made your purchase, but has anyone else had good experience with Kirby vacuums?

My folks purchased a Kirby in 1976 - brand new, at great expense.

They still use it. It still sucks the carpet up off the floor.

If we didn't have a 3-storey townhouse I'd consider one - Kirbys are cast iron and h-e-a-v-y

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My parents have had a series of Dysons for years, and they always seem to break down and either need expensive repairs or have to be replaced. I'm not sure why they keep buying them. We do have a lot of crap to hoover with a pretty hairy dog and so on, but I am sure it's not just us, I just don't think they are that great.
The dyson airblade on the other hand kicks as much ass as a hand drier can.

montyharding

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Some people love to be contrarian when it comes to successful designs. They think it's cool to be that way. Others just enjoy benefitting from better designs without thinking whether their opinions on vacuum cleaners makes them cool or not.
I'm not sure if vacating your home after vacuuming then coming back to findi the place covered with dust after a couple of weeks is contrary. Maybe it's a hipster thing? The Miele means I no longer have anything near that level. The design-focused from a purely aesthetic point who talk authoritatively about engineering with no actual knowledge of engineering tend to be the set who talk like the above. It's why they invariably end up with Dysons, Apples et al by choice - products of prima donna industrial designers with too much emphasis on the 'designer' and too little on the 'industrial'. Their ego does the rest of the convicing that they know what they're buying. They don't, but their egos won't allow them to realise that. For me, as an engineer who turns himself to design every now and again, anything mechanical has a point of interest to me - but with absolutely zero interest in vacuum cleaners, I did the thing that most people who could care less but have reasonable income do, which is to buy the most expensive one in the shop and assume it works the best - or at least somewhere among the best. That's exactly what I did with the DC01 because it was expensive and because it looked the most interesting - and when they broke, or when I found they didn't tackle something, I just bought a different DC because they always had something which would do what the previous one didn't do, and it didn't require additional thought in selection. That is until I ended up buying a Miele to replace a then-current Dyson after a recommendation. The difference was absolutely profound. It may look like a beetle as opposed to some exotic piece of machinery, but it just plain works better. Nothing contrarian about it at all. While Dyson may have started out with an engineering focus when he was developing the prototypes, every Dyson - even from the DC01 onwards I now realise - is firmly about marketing and design. 'Innovations' as with Apple, are merely better-marketed-to-the-chattering-classes developments of previous technology. Now with something as prosaic as a vacuum cleaner, is it dumber to be impressed by the design or by how it works?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I'm baffled by this comment. I don't give a **** how the Dyson looks. What does it for me is the suction. It simply picks up a lot more dirt than my Miele Blue Moon. It's just unfair to characterize all Dyson owners as driven by style over substance.

Believe me, I wish the Miele was a better vac as I would feel a lot better about dropping $1,100 on it.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should get the contents analyzed and post. It is probably picking up a lot more carpet fiber. FIW, I think the Miele also looks nicer than the Dyson. Mine is lemon yellow
inlove.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
You should get the contents analyzed and post. It is probably picking up a lot more carpet fiber. FIW, I think the Miele also looks nicer than the Dyson. Mine is lemon yellow
inlove.gif

I do agree that the Miele looks better. Mine is a dark blue.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

mystillwater

Reaction score
hi, i just stumbled into this thread from SW&D, are we talking about an election in some european country?

no?

what's that? vacuums? oh.

i've gotta run.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads