• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do you wear a tshirt under a button up shirt???

chas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
Never. Only reason I see that one would is if you sweat profusely.
What I cant stand is people wearing wife beaters. It looks marsupialed and serves no purpose what so ever.

How would it look marsupialed if you can never see it as I am wearing it under a shirt with a tie? It serves a purpose as it is comfortable.

Montrachet

Reaction score
No t-shirt if the temperature is nice. If it's too cold or so hot I will sweat through, I'll put on a v-neck if going open-collar or a crew neck if wearing a tie.

AB01

Reaction score
I just picked up 10 Hanes V-Neck shirts in white.

A couple times recently I had wet armpits, but I don't see how not wearing an undershirt would help. I would still have been hot without it.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chas
How would it look marsupialed if you can never see it as I am wearing it under a shirt with a tie? It serves a purpose as it is comfortable.

If it cant be seen, then i retract my statement. But even when one cant see it, more often than not, you can see the outline of the wife beater under the shirt and I think this still looks marsupialed.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it cant be seen, then i retract my statement. But even when one cant see it, more often than not, you can see the outline of the wife beater under the shirt and I think this still looks marsupialed.

It's for the guys with dark chest hair and white skin. Also to cover the nips.

It's pretty nasty to see nips/chest hair through a white shirt.

I wear white v-necks under my shirts in all seasons because I'm always hot and they protect your shirts.

chas

Reaction score

Fair enough.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
It's for the guys with dark chest hair and white skin. Also to cover the nips.

It's pretty nasty to see nips/chest hair through a white shirt.

I wear white v-necks under my shirts in all seasons because I'm always hot and they protect your shirts.

That makes some sense to me. i never thought about it like that.
But on the other hand....if one's chest hair and nips can be seen through a shirt, maybe its the shirt that's too sheer??

I have less issues with v-neck t shirts. It does serve a function of protecting your shirts from under arm sweat. But wife beaters serve no purpose what so ever (at lease in my humble opinion).

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a novel question and debate

chas

Reaction score
That makes some sense to me. i never thought about it like that.
But on the other hand....if one's chest hair and nips can be seen through a shirt, maybe its the shirt that's too sheer??

I have less issues with v-neck t shirts. It does serve a function of protecting your shirts from under arm sweat. But wife beaters serve no purpose what so ever (at lease in my humble opinion).

May I ask if you have ever worn a wife beater T?

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I ask if you have ever worn a wife beater T?

No I have not. I did wear t shirts a couple times in the past and i did not like the add'l layer/bulk that it added. It felt restrictive to me.

And wife beaters...I have always held a negative view of them since the only people I ever see wearing them are down river white trash and caldeans.

chas

Reaction score
By your down river and Chaldean comment I assume your are from metro Detroit. Most likely from one of the north or west suburbs.

I recommend trying them before you comment further on their usefulness. I wear them because I do not like the bulk of a regular t-shirt. Think of it like a body sock.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By your down river and Chaldean comment I assume your are from metro Detroit. Most likely from one of the north or west suburbs.

I recommend trying them before you comment further on their usefulness. I wear them because I do not like the bulk of a regular t-shirt. Think of it like a body sock.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Good call on the metro Det! I live in Ann Arbor...but work in Southfield.

And yes I've heard people say that it's like a body sock. The tshirts I've worn in the past were fairly fitting as well. I just feel like anything under a button up shirt..or even polo shirts for that matter, was just too restrictive, at least for me.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep....V neck.-Heather gray!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads