• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake Shoes

jbuffone

Reaction score
Do the commonly mentioned (herring, plal, pediwear) online retailers only sell seconds?

Smudge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbuffone
Do the commonly mentioned (herring, plal, pediwear) online retailers only sell seconds?
Not at all. Besides I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised as to what constitutes a "second" at Herring - ie honestly nothing much wrong with them. Over the years I have bought two pairs of full price and two pairs of seconds from Herring, after a few wears they are all but indistinguishable. Four/Five years later they are all going very strong and as part of my regular rotation have aged really nicely, especially the brown ones. I'd give Herrings Seconds a hearty
thumbs-up.gif
I don't have any personal experience of pLal or pediwear but both seem highly regarded on this forum for selling quality shoes.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
What do people think of the Shoemaker line of Loakes? These use corrected grain leather, but they are Goodyear welted. Is it worth the ~$180 they cost, or is your money better spent by putting another $200+ to AEs, Aldens, etc.?

The difference in price between Loake 1880 and shoemaker isn't that much. The quality difference is.

Originally Posted by Big Bird
I have two old pair of shoes that I bought at Charles Tyrwhitt five years ago that I seem to remember where made by Loake. Maybe someone on this board can confirm?

/BB

Most but not all of the CT shoes were/are Loake, but they've also used Barker (and possibly others).

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbuffone

I have a pair of C&J boots from P.Lal and they are perfect firsts.

I have a pair of C&J oxfords from Pediwear and the lace holes don't quite match up. I kept them though, since shipping them back would have been tres cher.

I have heard nothing but great things about Herring and have spoken with the proprietor on the phone.

Take from this what you will.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smudge
Not at all. Besides I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised as to what constitutes a "second" at Herring - ie honestly nothing much wrong with them.

Over the years I have bought two pairs of full price and two pairs of seconds from Herring, after a few wears they are all but indistinguishable. Four/Five years later they are all going very strong and as part of my regular rotation have aged really nicely, especially the brown ones. I'd give Herrings Seconds a hearty
thumbs-up.gif

FWIW I've had a lot of trouble with a pair of seconds; something just isn't right with the way the leather was handled. It takes on colour from polish or wax much more than it should; also, the leather looks like crap in some places. I also have a pair of suede seconds; no problems.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Barkers eons ago from Herrings egged on by encouragement from posts saying that seconds are not very noticeable and would not affect the integrity of the shoe. 1 year into wearing it, twice weekly, the "dent" on the side of the shoe became a hole.

I would not buy another seconds from Herring but sale prices and discontinued offers are still decent buys. I think Herrings could do well to point out where the fault(s) are when they list a pair of seconds.

On the topic, I think any one of the Loakes 1880s will be a very serviceable pair for a person with a smaller budget or just starting out work. They still look much better than 90% of all shoes that people are wearing these days.

Doc4

Reaction score
Check out the Trickers shoes on Sierra Trading Post or the clearance Peal & Co. shoes on Brooks Brothers. Either will be better, and with the proper discount/cupons, you will come in at a good price.

Originally Posted by Big Bird
I have two old pair of shoes that I bought at Charles Tyrwhitt five years ago that I seem to remember where made by Loake. Maybe someone on this board can confirm?

They are still in my rotation after five years and I have no complaints whatsoever about the quality. I have had them resoled a couple of times but besides that they have worked like a charm.

/BB

Most CT shoes are made "overseas"
frown.gif
and only the calfskin ones are still made by Loake (I take it) in England ... and are overpriced. (The prices have gone up a lot the past couple of years.)

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
@ ajdel: I don't think so. The suede semi-brogues look like these to me: http://herringshoes.co.uk/product-in...ID=2&seconds=0
And that's just "Loake shoemakers" quality.
I once sent CT a mail, asking about the level of quality their shoes were produced. I never got a reply -> go figure.

The all-rubber heel with the "V" pattern is usually a dead giveaway for Loake L1 shoes. I would note that the L1 series has a suede model, which is similar:

http://www.loake.co.uk/Shop/Products...&ProductID=202

Loake 1880 almost always have a combination rubber/leather heel.

I suspect the CT offering is a slightly up-spec'ed version.

Big Bird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Most but not all of the CT shoes were/are Loake, but they've also used Barker (and possibly others).
Originally Posted by Doc4
frown.gif
and only the calfskin ones are still made by Loake (I take it) in England ... and are overpriced. (The prices have gone up a lot the past couple of years.)

Thanks for the info.

(The prices have gone up a lot the past couple of years.)

Well, I am not really sure about that. If I remember correctly I paid roughly GBP£ 275 per pair five years ago.

I dont mind the small price inflation since in ther same period the Sterling has lost almost 30% against the Euro. I work in London one or two days a week but get paid in Euro.

/BB

jimmy c

Reaction score
i have the knightsbridge from loake's 1880 range and enjoy them

highball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmy c
i have the knightsbridge from loake's 1880 range and enjoy them

jimmmy c or anyone else-

Can you comment on the fit of the Knightsbridge? Looking to order a pair but haven't been able to discern how the new "Capital" last fits as I've heard it may be quite different from Loake's other lasts. Thanks!

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
@ ajdel: I don't think so. The suede semi-brogues look like these to me: http://herringshoes.co.uk/product-in...ID=2&seconds=0
And that's just "Loake shoemakers" quality.
I once sent CT a mail, asking about the level of quality their shoes were produced. I never got a reply -> go figure.

frown.gif

Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
The all-rubber heel with the "V" pattern is usually a dead giveaway for Loake L1 shoes. I would note that the L1 series has a suede model, which is similar:

Thanks for your replies. Until I read them I thought the sale at CT was a very good deal ..

Wondering what are your thoughts on the Loake Strand. I am considering the brown one. If any members have any pictures of the Loake that would be great. The 4th image is of the color that I like though I am not sure how it looks in real life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads