• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bad Taste Offs

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
keep in mind that KB had health/weight issues. Also, while fit is a segment of taste, it is probably the most subjective of such a subjective topic. I like short pants, short jackets, short/fat ties. I would dislike someone's style that wore pants stacked at the hem, jackets that went a few inches past the "acceptable" level, skinny ties etc but that does not mean that person has bad taste. If the clothing worn is something that I would wear, if maybe in a different incarnation, then I do not consider the person to have bad taste. there is stuff that KB has worn that I would wear, there are others that wear items that I would rather go naked than to wear.

I understand KB has had issues with health and weight, so my point may not apply to him. I was trying to speak more generally about the importance of meaningful discrimination in determining taste. Buying lots and particular brand, no matter how well reputed that brand is, does not indicate good taste to me--and, in fact, may easily indicate very bad taste.

That being said, and taking your comments on fit into consideration, I maintain that there is still good fit and bad fit, regardless of personal preferences. You might legitimately choose to have your clothes fit different from what is orthodox, but that doesn't mean all the effects of your choices are intended (take divots, for example). I have the most fun Foofing clothes that aren't classic in proportion (like Fuuma's or SoCal's) because it's even more apparent that fit is a universal issue in such cases.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
2 But 5 pairs is expensive and very snobby

How do you figure? They cost less than a single pair of bespoke shoes and less than two pairs of Prestige Lobbs. The way I see it, the OneShoe is definitively democratic.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

That being said, and taking your comments on fit into consideration, I maintain that there is still good fit and bad fit, regardless of personal preferences. You might legitimately choose to have your clothes fit different from what is orthodox, but that doesn't mean all the effects of your choices are intended (take divots, for example). I have the most fun Foofing clothes that aren't classic in proportion (like Fuuma's or SoCal's) because it's even more apparent that fit is a universal issue in such cases.

Well, I think divots are a construction problem more than a fit problem and do not constitute bad taste in the wearer, maybe bad understanding in suit construction. I am thinking more along the lines of TB, the way he wears it, it is not a "good' fit but I would not say he has bad taste.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking more along the lines of TB, the way he wears it, it is not a "good' fit but I would not say he has bad taste.

You cannot certainly be speaking about his runway line. And you likey the ankles?

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mafoofan;2706685 said:
Buying lots and particular brand, no matter how well reputed that brand is, does not indicate good taste to me--and, in fact, may easily indicate very bad taste.

QUOTE]

All the Norton Suits Jackets and Trousers along with all the Edward Green shoes are on ebay first thing in the morning i cant have too much of a good thing its distasteful.

Or on the other hand what a load of shyte.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
You cannot certainly be speaking about his runway line.

runway is outrageous, that is the nature of the beast. hard to get pics of your clothing line in all sorts of magazines and generate buzz if the models look like an old JPress ad. Look at pics of him, I can't recall him wearing stuff that I would not wear, in a different fit.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
runway is outrageous, that is the nature of the beast. hard to get pics of your clothing line in all sorts of magazines and generate buzz if the models look like an old JPress ad. Look at pics of him, I can't recall him wearing stuff that I would not wear, in a different fit.

But you don't like the skinniness about his line (lapels, ties, etc.). I don't think you would wear this, even if it fit properly.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
Is a Foo slightly more or slightly less than a whnay.?
Neck and neck.
Next time there is a bigtimer's shoe circle in NYC, someone let me know. I'll train up there. I'll stand to the side during the circle, because I'm not fancy enough and have no interest in eating the soggy biscuit when the group is finished. I also promise I won't reveal the big secret of what went on. When whnay. and Foo are finished, we can start rehearsing.
Yes, I've been waiting for Foo to let us know what magic thing was conjured up through the shoe circle and who ate the cracker (not I). He must be very busy at his firm not to have updated his blog.
How do you figure? They cost less than a single pair of bespoke shoes and less than two pairs of Prestige Lobbs. The way I see it, the OneShoe is definitively democratic.
Well, it's democratic in the same way that Nick Foulkes asserted the tuxedo is democratic.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
But you don't like the skinniness about his line (lapels, ties, etc.). I don't think you would wear this, even if it fit properly.

no I don't like the thin lapels and cuts but I don't find it in bad taste. NYR wears a lot of that type of stuff and I think he looks fine, but its not my preference. Bad taste is Moo wearing navy shorts, knee hi's and ostrich shoes (sorry Moo), he has come a ways since that outfit though and his recent pics look fine to me, taste wise.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

But they look terrible...

The one shoe concept is as stupid as the one suit concept.

Do you wear the same suit ad vitam aeternam for all occasions life is throwing at you?

NO.

You wear different suits, sport coats for different purposes.

The same concept can be applied to shoes.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I think divots are a construction problem more than a fit problem and do not constitute bad taste in the wearer, maybe bad understanding in suit construction. I am thinking more along the lines of TB, the way he wears it, it is not a "good' fit but I would not say he has bad taste.

Well, let's be clear about what we mean by taste, then. I loosely define good taste as thorough, well-balanced consideration. Hence, I think two of the most common forms of bad taste are: (1) the overemphasis of quantity, at the expense of quality, and (2) the fixation on particular details while failing to account for others.

The divot issue falls soundly under that second category. The failure to notice divots in the pursuit of skinny sleeves and extended shoulders--when they are avoidable, unintended, undesirable, and distracting--indicates to me that someone has not put enough consideration into how the overall jacket will look at the end of the day. So, assuming cost is not an issue, I think divots are plainly in bad taste.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
But they look terrible...

The one shoe concept is as stupid as the one suit concept.

Do you wear the same suit ad vitam aeternam for all occasions life is throwing at you?

NO.

You wear different suits, sport coats for different purposes.

The same concept can be applied to shoes.

boxing[1].gif

fight[1].gif

stirpot.gif

nest.gif

lurker[1].gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The failure to notice divots in the pursuit of skinny sleeves and extended shoulders--when they are avoidable, unintended, undesirable, and distracting--indicates to me that someone has not put enough consideration into how the overall jacket will look at the end of the day. So, assuming cost is not an issue, I think divots are plainly in bad taste.

Perhaps it is not a matter of failing to notice divots and the presence of divots being bad taste - these are, as Ed pointed out, construction and tailor issues. I think it is the acceptance of the divots which could arguably constitute bad taste.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
no I don't like the thin lapels and cuts but I don't find it in bad taste. NYR wears a lot of that type of stuff and I think he looks fine, but its not my preference.

Not unalloyed TB, but Black Fleece along the lines of what you are talking about I think:

652424013_RqmXN-X2.jpg

Bad taste is Moo wearing navy shorts, knee hi's and ostrich shoes (sorry Moo), he has come a ways since that outfit though and his recent pics look fine to me, taste wise.

For as much as we all cherish that apocryphal image of the ostrich shorts suit, I seem to recall that was posted as a kind of hissy fit and not something serious. I could be wrong, but that is what I recall.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads