• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
It's nice, fits oversize as with all pe knits so may not appeal to fit nazis on the forum.
I don't think there really are many "fit nazis," I think it is more that so few people here do relaxed/loose well.
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Really want a ToJ leather but waiting to see color options before I pull the trigger.
Hahaha, I was reading a book about YSL yesterday that mentioned the crocodile motos in one of his earlier collections. Hopefully Dis can do something like that (or maybe stingray!). The only question is: can these skins hold up to an actual motorcycle accident? I really just want lots of vintage Yves right now, I have been lucky in finding a lot in my size when thrifting.
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
This is why I gawk when people ask me why I visit here because I don't dress like the others here.
It is the ebb and flow of SF, first there is the backlash against posters being different, then there is the backlash against that once everyone becomes (slightly) homogenized. I've also noticed the trend occuring in WAYWT with the idea of context pics. Last year everyone wanted context pics, saying that clothing means nothing without context, then there was the revolt against PG, and so on and so forth.
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Also, this is the most beautiful piece I've seen in a while, womenswear is always more interesting
frown.gif

You are so predictable, I knew before clicking the link it was going to be either that or the sandal jacket.
laugh.gif
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
yeah, but minus the Jil/Raf, Junya, MMM and Rick that (some) people here like, most of the rest that people get into, talk about, that is all just mid market. I have some different notions about the midmarket than others maybe but there's a whole lot there actually; they're not quite expensive enough to be high fashion but it's not the cheap stuff either. That's a lot of room to play in, and there's a lot you can do in there too.
Oh no, not this debate again... Not fashion related, but I got a 79 in a 55 last night.
frown.gif

naaaaate

Reaction score
since everyones still talking about apolis,

547.jpg

still can't believe this shirt and how much it embodies what i can't stand about americana (and i wear flannel 7 days a week)

it's like the entire concept of design and aesthetics have fallen so far to the wayside in the pursuit of ancient americana and workwear references that design has been reduced to a dungeons & dragons random encounter chart where the designers roll 1d20 to determine how many wacky shape pockets you're going to battle

oh ****, 16! thats two triangles an octagon and a chambray elemental, give up $200 and roll initiative

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas

Hahaha, I was reading a book about YSL yesterday that mentioned the crocodile motos in one of his earlier collections. Hopefully Dis can do something like that (or maybe stingray!). The only question is: can these skins hold up to an actual motorcycle accident?

I always see these alligator skins for sale; no, it wouldn't protect in you in a crash but you'd look baller while dying, and the other thing is you'd have to be Barbie doll sized to make a jacket that fits from it, it's for wallets. lol.
redface.gif
real croc, don't know, but that'd be pretty out there, but I bet you could actually pull it off man, get some nice big black trousers, a black turtleneck, some sleek black croc shoes.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Random fashion thought: tried on a few sweaters from various Jpnese brands, N. Hoolywood was disappointing, favorite was a Julius cardi priced at 36,000円, but I don't want yet another mid-grey sweater. I haven't had a chance to check out Stephen Schneider yet... i want to see if the navy cardi with the geometric grey detail fits well or is as good quality as it looks based on the south willard site. MMM is only marginally interesting to me at the moment and none of the FW09 stuff fits me well enough to pay the requisite Â¥, and the YSL I tried on fit well but fabric was meh.

Men's Non-No isn't giving me any good ideas on a knit for this winter, either. Everything looks too 'on the beaten path' for where I want to be, purchase-wise. It's probably mostly because I wear "work" clothes every day (tie and everything), so I want my non-work clothes to be interesting and satisfy my quality needs.

drew, I sent dizz a pm in regards to it, but I have an idea for a knit I'd like to see. Not sure if you ever run into nice merinos or cashmeres but I'm serious about this (plain, kind of mmm-raf hybrid aesthetic) design if you found a place to sew out a couple.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Men's Non-No isn't giving me any good ideas on a knit for this winter, either.
Nobody did good knits this season.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Without getting balls-deep into this discussion, I share your view on what "mid-market" is pretty much wholesale.

I'd like to see more higher end stuff discussed here because that's what I'm interested in, but sadly often times discussions are fueled by widespread availability - people only want to talk about what they plan on buying, which is why the APC thread is ******* huge and the random thread about Junya or MMM only goes for a few pages before it fades off into obscurity.

Recently I've been liking the cardigan thread, and the black lace-up boots thread. Of course, the TOJ thread is where the steez is at.

I realized from Gravitas' comment that we just had this conversation in here not too long ago.

Aren't you up pretty late brah?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
midmarket is a loaded term and I think the middle of the men's clothing market has changed a good deal in the last decade. Like impolyt says, designers (or whatever you want to call people who design lines not named after tham) can do a lot in there.

Maybe I'm just reflecting my own experience but in 1999 no one was paying $500 for unlined, casual winter coats at a local men's boutique. Sure there was diffusion stuff but nothing like the wide variety of brands in that niche now. Cue someone saying all the midmarket brands look same.

Maybe there's an unsustainable number of midmarket lines right now. I know I'm not jealous of store owners who buy stuff they think is great and in line with tastes only to see it sit on the racks.

EDIT: This is a lot of navel gazing, but even though most high-end stuff is out of my range price-wise, style-wise, and how-hard-am-I-willing-to-work-to-buy-a-piece-wise, I enjoy the discussion and especially when new or tiny lines are posted. SF isn't as good for this as some blogs/mags are these days, but it's a hassle reading 20 blogs.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Brian, I keep bouncing the idea of a handknit around every day.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I realized from Gravitas' comment that we just had this conversation in here not too long ago. Aren't you up pretty late brah?
went drinking for my b-day, alcohol keeps me awake. japanese lesson in about 7 hours.
frown.gif
Giving it another shot in a few.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Maybe there's an unsustainable number of midmarket lines right now. I know I'm not jealous of store owners who buy stuff they think is great and in line with tastes only to see it sit on the racks.

This is a given.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I like brands that go all out with the solemn pomp of fashion shows but then Catholic mass holds a fascination over me.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Maybe there's an unsustainable number of midmarket lines right now.
This is a given.
Agreed. Too much stuff on sale @ Barney's--but maybe that's my inexperience with clothing. And I hear you nate, I saw that damn chambray and was speechless. It's just a mish-mash of stuff. How many of those have sold successfully, I wonder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads