• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
LOL @ how Apolis has gone from SF darling to shitted-on, rejected brand in less than two seasons.
I think in my comment I was thinking of Shipley + Halmos rather than Apolis
facepalm.gif
I'd say 70+% of Apolis is interesting, whether it's the design or fabric, or both. Sizing can be a little goofy, though. I haven't seen a single S+H piece that i like...

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
this is why zissou owns
Why, thank you. I think Razele's criticism can be applied to anyone who can't see the value in fits beyond what they themselves wear. Personally, I think it's fun to see fits that I'd never wear if the person puts them together very well, whether it's MC, goth ninja, or anywhere in between.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Personally, I think it's fun to see fits that I'd never wear if the person puts them together very well, whether it's MC, goth ninja, or anywhere in between.

I'm the exact same way, and honestly, it annoys me to no end when people say they are stylish, then have no respect for other types of dress they don't wear themselves. A typically example is the guys from MC. Post a picture of pretty much any designer discusssed here (or especially SZ), and their heads will explode.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Why, thank you. I think Razele's criticism can be applied to anyone who can't see the value in fits beyond what they themselves wear. Personally, I think it's fun to see fits that I'd never wear if the person puts them together very well, whether it's MC, goth ninja, or anywhere in between.

This is why I gawk when people ask me why I visit here because I don't dress like the others here.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by g transistor
I think why an item's "quality" appeals to me a lot is because I'm so interested in the process of production. I love reading impolyt's posts on leathers and I also liked MJK posting all the different information about the subtle improvements he and Colby made with their new shirts. When I actually have the piece in my hand and examine it for the first time, it's really awesome to think about the extra work that went into it, even if it didn't really change the appearance that much. Like Fuuma said though, most of my more expensive things are pretty much basics.
I'm the same way, since doing my jeans project/research (and in that miz's post on Kuniyoshi-san was extremely informative), I have a much larger appreciation for a well-designed pair of jeans (and can easily tell when a cut is wrong, like the UO jeans that came out a little while back). Also, this is the most beautiful piece I've seen in a while, womenswear is always more interesting
frown.gif

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think in my comment I was thinking of Shipley + Halmos rather than Apolis
facepalm.gif
I'd say 70+% of Apolis is interesting, whether it's the design or fabric, or both. Sizing can be a little goofy, though. I haven't seen a single S+H piece that i like...

I was actually referring to the Apolis Philanthropy bag thread. One bad marketing move and suddenly all Apolis pieces are retroactively classified as overpriced and low-quality. We agree on Apolis. Quality/pricing/douchiness aside, they actually stick to an aesthetic between seasons (as opposed to the other mid-tier people we discussed earlier) and I admire that.
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
impolyt's posts about the leather production process are far and away the most interesting posts on the board and are a huge part of the reason i want to buy something from him
I agree 100% and wish I had the dough to follow through.
frown.gif

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
LOL @ how Apolis has gone from SF darling to shitted-on, rejected brand in less than two seasons.

A lot of people never cared for the brand much. Also, i believe LA Guy was really big on them (maybe whodini too) which was the main reason for the buzz in addition to it being a new brand that fits in well with many forum members. Doesn't hurt that farinellis i believe stocked it. I don't think it really made much a dent in the users on the forum who don't live and die by each farinellis buy though.

On the subject of "investment" pieces and buying weird stuff and what not, if you want to taste nice pieces and not be out a ton of money in case you feel like switching stuff up in a year or two, you just need to be smart about your buys. Get good deals on sale or 2nd hand forums/ebay. Unless i know i really want something 100% and am sure of the sizing (or can at least switch sizes with the retailer) then most of the clothes i get that are just for fun at the moment i can sell back for equal price or not lose much money. If i want to completely switch up everything i own and go more americana (albeit slightly more modern) i could sell off most everything i own for about equal money.

Most of all people shouldn't stress out so much over clothes. They're supposed to be fun.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
A lot of people never cared for the brand much. Also, i believe LA Guy was really big on them (maybe whodini too) which was the main reason for the buzz in addition to it being a new brand that fits in well with many forum members. Doesn't hurt that farinellis i believe stocked it. I don't think it really made much a dent in the users on the forum who don't live and die by each farinellis buy though.

Heh...zing?

To be fair how many mid-tier people make a dent besides APC? Serious question, I can't remember any but there are probably more.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Most of the stuff adored on this forum (besides what jet talks about on his own, with himself) is mid-market, or low.

Julius, although it has now probably ascended to true high fashion status now that they show in Paris, was definitely just a Japanese mid-market brand. Attachment wallowed in the depths of the midmarket for years. NDG was tee shirt streetwear before.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Not really a zing but a lot of people are loyal to mauro and like to support him. His buys do influence many users quite bit though. I think most people agree on that though.

Last i checked there were a ton of mid tier brands being bought around here. Most of waywt and buy&sell is mid tier

edit: impolyt beat me to it. Yea, it's funny how far ndg has come in only like 3 years. A lot of their tshirts are still made in the streetwear style though. On heavy duty fruit of the looms tees (which feel like ****) with a long slimmish body, really high crew neck with noticeable collar ribbing, and baggyish/longer sleeves. The fit pretty much sucks ass but i had to buy that one because i'm in love with mayakovsky and i had never seen a shirt of him before

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Most of the stuff adored on this forum (besides what jet talks about on his own, with himself) is mid-market, or low. Julius, although it has now probably ascended to true high fashion status now that they show in Paris, was definitely just a Japanese mid-market brand. Attachment wallowed in the depths of the midmarket for years. NDG was tee shirt streetwear before.
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Not really a zing but a lot of people are loyal to mauro and like to support him. His buys do influence many users quite bit though. I think most people agree on that though. Last i checked there were a ton of mid tier brands being bought around here. Most of waywt and buy&sell is mid tier
Cool, then my definition of "mid market" is off. Thanks for clarifying on both things.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I have always hated apolis, and look how the worm has turned.....

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yeah, but minus the Jil/Raf, Junya, MMM and Rick that (some) people here like, most of the rest that people get into, talk about, that is all just mid market. I have some different notions about the midmarket than others maybe but there's a whole lot there actually; they're not quite expensive enough to be high fashion but it's not the cheap stuff either. That's a lot of room to play in, and there's a lot you can do in there too.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
yeah, but minus the Jil/Raf, Junya, MMM and Rick that (some) people here like, most of the rest that people get into, talk about, that is all just mid market. I have some different notions about the midmarket than others maybe but there's a whole lot there actually; they're not quite expensive enough to be high fashion but it's not the cheap stuff either. That's a lot of room to play in, and there's a lot you can do in there too.

Without getting balls-deep into this discussion, I share your view on what "mid-market" is pretty much wholesale.

I'd like to see more higher end stuff discussed here because that's what I'm interested in, but sadly often times discussions are fueled by widespread availability - people only want to talk about what they plan on buying, which is why the APC thread is ******* huge and the random thread about Junya or MMM only goes for a few pages before it fades off into obscurity.

Recently I've been liking the cardigan thread, and the black lace-up boots thread. Of course, the TOJ thread is where the steez is at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads