• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

University people... how long were you there?

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
It's going to take me five years for my bachelors. The longer the better for me, haha. I'm just trying to meet as many people as I can and enjoy the experience.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
four and a half, no job, just didn't care to rush it

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my friends took 7 years to finish her undergrad (no, I'm not kidding). We're about the same age, and she was wrapping up her bachelor's as I was finishing up my master's AFTER having worked for two years beforehand. :)

People rushing to finish college in 3 years strike me as incredibly foolish. College constitutes some of the best years of your life and rushing to get 'em done so they can start work is absurd to me.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
^^ Though, remember that it does nothing at all for you to spend time in college to avoid having to get a job. You can only dodge reality for so long, you can't be a student forever. If you are going to spend so long in college, you better have a job at the same time to make yourself at least a little marketable when you get out.

Tcameron

Reaction score
3.5 years for a major I designed. I'm graduating at the end of December and have never been so nervous in my life. Even with 4 solid internships down, things don't look so hot these days.

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
^^ Though, remember that it does nothing at all for you to spend time in college to avoid having to get a job. You can only dodge reality for so long, you can't be a student forever. If you are going to spend so long in college, you better have a job at the same time to make yourself at least a little marketable when you get out.

Right, I didn't mean to suggest that her staying in college for 7 years was a good thing, merely an anecdote related to the original post.

4-5 years seems completely reasonable to me though, particularly if you study abroad or do a co-op for a semester or more.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All I have to say, in general, is that your twenties is the best decade of your life - a time when you are single, healthy, and able to recover from your mistakes. It therefore is a time to enjoy yourself and not take yourself too seriously.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
All I have to say, in general, is that your twenties is the best decade of your life - a time when you are single, healthy, and able to recover from your mistakes. It therefore is a time to enjoy yourself and not take yourself too seriously.

frown.gif
To be so carefree...

ceaton

Reaction score
I work at one, so um... ask me in a few decades. If you mean as a student it would be 16 years, but a lot of that is my hobby of taking one language class a term (it's free!).

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took five years to get a BA. The worst thing to happen to me was a intense long-term relationship that sucked up all my time and attention. That, in conjunction with goofing off, led to less than stellar progress.

Later, when I became more serious, I threw myself into my work and applied myself with vigour; I got As but had no social life and ended up burning myself out on my subject matter to the point where I don't even enjoy what I spent my early adult years studying.

Long story short, I had no happy medium. I'm not even sure one is attainable without sacrificing something important (grades, personal life, diet, exercise, leisure).

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ceaton
I work at one, so um... ask me in a few decades. If you mean as a student it would be 16 years, but a lot of that is my hobby of taking one language class a term (it's free!).

pretty smart

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I worked full-time the entire time, so it's a little skewed. Earned my associate's in five and a half years. Seriously. Bachelor's took a total of seven and half years. JD took three years, MBA a year and a half. MPA in progress. Enjoy it, have a good time.

clownmitts

Reaction score
I took 4 years to complete a BSc majoring in physics and minoring in comp sci. I decided to stick around an extra year to upgrade my degree to a joint major in physics and comp sci. This was in Canada. I then did an MSc in 1 year in the UK in comp sci.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
frown.gif
To be so carefree...

It's so easy for me to say this in retrospect, but it's a prime example of how "youth is wasted on the young".

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8 years for a BS, MS and PhD.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads