• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visit to the Allen Edmonds Factory in Port Washington, Wisconsin on Tuesday, December

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend Gerard/"Gman-17" over at AAAC visited the Allen Edmonds factory back in June to observe first had the crafting of his special order double monk strap Moras (the trip is documented here: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...d.php?t=95708).

He now has a pair of shell cordovan Strands on special order, and AE CEO Paul Grangaard has generously offered to host a sartorialist tour of the factory in Port Washington, Wisconsin (just north of Milwaukee) on Tuesday, December 22nd, where we'll observe the crafting of Gerard's Strands firsthand. So far, "Francisco d'Anconia" and I have committed to joining this visit.

Paul, AE's Director of Manufacturing Jim Kass and Director of International Sales Colin Hall all attended our Chicago meet-up on September 24th, and we all appreciated their generosity and time.

Please let me know if you would like to attend, either by posting to this thread or by PM, and I will follow up here with more details (e.g. organizing transportation). I'd like to get an idea of the headcount so we can deal with transportation, lunch, etc.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take lots of photos & videos and share. We would be very appreciative.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the AAAC link. Look forward to pics of your tour!

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
a pair of shell cordovan Strands on special order

That should be a beautiful pair of shoes. What color cordovan?

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly
That should be a beautiful pair of shoes. What color cordovan?

Numero ocho (I think), but I'll double-check with G.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are planning to be at the Allen Edmonds Factory at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, December 22nd. The facility is located at 201 East Seven Hills Road in Port Washington, Wisconsin: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...91104032501254

Here are directions from downtown Chicago: http://www.mapquest.com/mq/3-ytsHABRwxS0umBcbbk3S

The phone number of AE's offices is (262) 235-6000.

However, we are going to rendezvous at Fiddleheads Coffee Roasters in nearby Cedarburg, Wisconsin at 9:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. before heading over to AE. This coffee shop is located at W62 N605 Washington Avenue in downtown Cedarburg.

Here are the directions to Fiddleheads from downtown Chicago: http://www.mapquest.com/mq/7-a*tTSXGlNR14

Please PM either "Francisco d'Anconia" (Josh) or me (Lou) if you are interested in joining us. We should be able to provide AE with a headcount for the tour if they ask.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to the photo album of our visit to the Allen Edmonds factory in Port Washington, Wisconsin with Josh ("Francisco d'Anconia" on SF and AAAC) and Gerard ("gman-17" on AAAC): http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...monds%20Visit/

It was great to watch the assembly of Gerard's special order - shell cordovan Strand semi-brogue balmorals.

Many thanks to CEO Paul Grangaard, VP of Operations Jim Kass, International Marketing Director Colin Hall and Brenda Depies of Customer Service. You truly treated us like honored guests and we appreciated both the opportunity to hear about new developments at AE and provide our own input. All three of us acknowledge and appreciate your ongoing commitment to customer satisfaction and service.

One note: We actually saw the work related to the soles prior to watching the process of creating uppers; however, I reordered the photos to reflect the actual manufacturing process.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the report. I like the look of some of the new models.

IMG_2518.jpg

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Thanks for sharing the photos!

YBN6b.jpg

The saddle shoe looks awesome. I also like the brown split toe derby.

DoctrDamage just posted this old catalog photo from 1982 over at AAAC - the 5 last looks so nice:

ae19821.jpg

You're welcome, Sri.

Paul Grangaard stated that they want to emphasize AE's traditional, classic shoes.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was an enlightening photo essay. Thanks!

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
That was an enlightening photo essay. Thanks!

Lufty, you would have truly enjoyed the tour. We spent 90 minutes with CEO Paul Grangaard, VP of Operations Jim Kass and International Marketing Director Colin Hall discussing AE's new models and providing input (e.g. less "fashion forward" stuff, more traditional styles, combination heels rather than rubber heels). The AE execs were genuinely interested in what we had to say, and we appreciated that acknowledgement.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just went thru that whole thread on AAAC. Very interesting read. I have to admit, some of there stuff is looking a lot better than it used to. I'd consider picking up a pair in the future based on how cool they were to allow someone to come check out the process and write it up in an unfiltered manner.

Seems like a rebirth going on at AA to me. Emphasis back on quality. What's the verdict on that black insole though? I have it on one pair, but I put wetsuit style inserts in ALL my shoes, so I can't form a specific opinion. My foot does slip more when I try to wear my AA's without the insert though, and they fit very well.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
I just went thru that whole thread on AAAC. Very interesting read. I have to admit, some of there stuff is looking a lot better than it used to. I'd consider picking up a pair in the future based on how cool they were to allow someone to come check out the process and write it up in an unfiltered manner.

Seems like a rebirth going on at AA to me. Emphasis back on quality. What's the verdict on that black insole though? I have it on one pair, but I put wetsuit style inserts in ALL my shoes, so I can't form a specific opinion. My foot does slip more when I try to wear my AA's without the insert though, and they fit very well.

Chips,

The AE folks were great - showing us the new models, solciting our ideas, explaining the direction of the company, etc. VP of Operations Jim Kass led us through the process of attaching uppers to the insole and then welting the sole; we even got a chance to try our hand at carving channels into the sole (very, very difficult, I must say). After that, we were allowed walk around on our owne and watch the assembly of uppers - we observed the ladies cut the upper components from sheets of tanned calfskin and then watched some other women sew the components together to form a complete upper.

The black insole has raised some questions - Paul Grangaard himself stated on AAAC that they are leather (not a synthetic material as some have suspected).

Cheers,
LD

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads