• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there any products out there that make your hair look dirty?

Lothar

Reaction score
Okay, I realize this doesn't have to do with clothes, but it is a style forum and I'm not sure where to put this. Mods, feel free to move this where more applicable.

So I'm looking for a hair product that makes my hair look dirty or greasy - to make it look like I washed my hair yesterday even though I washed it today.

I tried annoying Johnathan's product a couple of years ago, "Dirt" but didn't really care for it. It didn't really seem to give my hair a 'dirty' look.

I'd like my hair to actually be clean, but look dirty...so chicken grease and the likes are out.

Any suggestions?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just don't wash your hair for a day. Works on me, since the oils take time to build up. Unless you live in a pigsty your hair won't be dirty, but it'll look less "just washed"

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Just don't wash your hair for a day. Works on me, since the oils take time to build up. Unless you live in a pigsty your hair won't be dirty, but it'll look less "just washed"

+1. Why pay for something when nature will do it for nothing?

Also, is there really a product called "Dirt", or is that a joke?

laughwithm3

Reaction score
so people actually pay to look greasy?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bacon grease? As a bonus, you get to eat the bacon

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Motor Oil (used) is pretty much free and works great.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is really marsupialed. You know my wifes a bit younger than me and when she was at Cooper all her freinds would have that dirty hipster look. I thought I couldn't even emulate it but if you work from home, don't work or you freelance you start to look like this very rapidly. I think it's certainly due to a lack of routine and steady paychecks rather than a conscious style.

Lothar

Reaction score
A) That is not me in the avatar.

B) I go to the gym on a daily basis and if I don't wash my hair, it gets really itchy.

C) It doesn't necessarily need to look dirty, just not so washed and bushy. It's hard to style my hair when I just washed it. And conditioners don't do enough.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Health and Body" is the approved subforum for "halp with new haircut" threads.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't think "dirty" is the look you want. I think you're going more for "bedhead" or "tousled." In which case, any wax-based product will do the trick. Jonathan's Dirt, in my experience, doesn't have enough holding power to really do the trick. I recommend American Crew's Fiber for some stronger hold, but not strong enough that your hair will get spiky and hard.

Also, ask your stylist to give you a short, choppy or textured haircut. The kind you get when he or she uses a razor edge, and not just scissors, to cut the hair. This will build some natural texture into your hair, which the product then brings out.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
Bacon grease? As a bonus, you get to eat the bacon

I thought that your stock answer for questions like this was, "Vag?"

confused.gif

- B

Lothar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I don't think "dirty" is the look you want. I think you're going more for "bedhead" or "tousled." In which case, any wax-based product will do the trick. Jonathan's Dirt, in my experience, doesn't have enough holding power to really do the trick. I recommend American Crew's Fiber for some stronger hold, but not strong enough that your hair will get spiky and hard.

Also, ask your stylist to give you a short, choppy or textured haircut. The kind you get when he or she uses a razor edge, and not just scissors, to cut the hair. This will build some natural texture into your hair, which the product then brings out.

Alright, thanks man...I'll give that a try and take a look at that product you recommended!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads