• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stel's has a new website

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by garmis
I broke down and copped the W+H chambray vest in a large. Unlike you Caveat, I was charged the $15 shipping but $215 was a solid enough price for me on this piece.

Maybe I was charged after all. It was kind of confusing. My order confirmation email doesn't have a total for some reason.

el duderino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caveat
Maybe I was charged after all. It was kind of confusing. My order confirmation email doesn't have a total for some reason.

Their checkout page uses AJAX so the shipping is supposed to update in real time. If the dropdown actually had $15 I would imagine you would still be charged shipping. I'm not a fan of the flat 15 fee if you only buy one item like I did but I end up saving money when the alternative is to drive 2hrs round trip, pay for gas, tolls, parking and sales tax

I highly doubt they would change their policies as they seem to view their online store as just an alternate way for people to purchase rather than compete with others. Their prices to begin are higher compared to other dealers who carry the same brands

Racove

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caveat
The policies didn't really apply to the final sale item I bought at midnight last night. It's 11 AM here on a Saturday and I just got my email shipping notice, so at least that's impressive.

was all sale merchandise final sale? didn't notice yet another restriction.

el duderino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racove

I'm on their email list and the email from this week announcing the sale has all sales final. But most small shops have the same policy

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, it's in their T&Cs. All discount items final sale.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
reposted from official sales thread since i didn't see this one here
Not alot of competition locally, but on the web, things are quite a bit more competitive.
Stel's actually has competition in boston these days. Barneys carries a few of the same brands they do and The Tannery in Cambridge has stepped their game up in the past 2 years a lot. A solid selection of R&B, shirt by shirt (ones i actually like i haven't seen before), steven alan, cdg shirt, yohji Y's, nico, saw BoO awhile back but haven't lately (still BoO x sperrys though), acne, barbour, common projects, pierre hardy, red wings, KMW, kzo, and a few others that forumites would like. Stel's is nice but their prices are just "ok" and beaten by some online retailers. Also, they seem kinda averse to sales. The staff is usually friendly though. I haven't bought anything from there but have walked through a few times. They still have 1 pair of W&H original black leather service boots (not the charcoal nubuck) in a size 10.5 or 11 (they fit like an 11.5 from what i remember) but they still are pricing them at original retail something like $775 Stel's is an alright store. It's pretty underwhelming in there at times as a lot of the pieces look kinda the same but in different brands. I remember talking to one of the guys there and it seems like they were getting some decent geller stuff in when i checked back late august. Not that exciting of a store but has a few items most forumites would enjoy. Although their terms, generally weak sales, and low stock/sizes will turn some off and i understand. Staff is nice and knowledgeable though. Much nicer than the Tannery which usually has a few douchebag looking guys or hot chicks roaming the floors who generally don't know a ton about the products (well the men's stuff at least). The Tannery will offer you deals if you talk to the fat guy with the goatee though. He seems to know the most. .I talked with him about a few pieces (these pierre hardys, this great CDG shirt blazer last spring and this unbelievable best m65 i've ever seen by Yohji Y's but is no longer there) and offered me 10% off the Y's jacket i kept eying.

bassmanpatsfan18

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Also, they seem kinda averse to sales...generally weak sales

If I remember correctly, you haven't been in Boston long. I've shopped at Stel's a few times in the past few years and they've actually had quite a few sales. More than I would have expected from a small, boutique-style shop. Also, when they do have sales, they seem to go all out. I've been in there at least twice when they've told me that a few of their racks are 50 or even 70% off. It's not the best store in the world, but they do have some good stuff and they definitely have some nice sales every so often.

cr1234

Reaction score
The last sale they had they started at 30% off current stuff, then went to 75% of what they had from previous seasons, then 50% off current season stuff. I got two pairs of Rachel Comeys and a pair of NdG pants for under $200 during the clearance.

Also, they seem well aware that everyone hates the shoe pictures, and those'll probably be improved in the future.

bassmanpatsfan18

Reaction score
I've been to stel's a few times a year the past 3 years about so i've been before and am somewhat familiar. I guess the times i was there i missed sales time or maybe they just didn't reflect sales on their old website very much. Maybe just unlucky

Ahh, probably just unlucky. Their old website was horrible and never gave any indication of any sales they were having.

mr bunbury

Reaction score
FWIW, I love this store. I do most of my shopping at Stel's. Jon and Tina are super nice, and they are very knowledgeable about the clothes. I don't always love Jon's buys, but I like what they are going for. The clothes they pick are very casual, hardly ever too fashionable, trendy, or gimmicky, and always of very high quality. The stuff I've bought from them is usually the stuff I wear years down the line, whereas I've made lots of purchases at Barneys or elsewhere that I regret later.

If there's a weakness to the shop, it's that the clothes are *too* casual. It's a small space and they stick to their niche. But in person it all makes sense and everything looks great together.

I agree with chronaug that it's not a great shop for sales. They don't buy much. A lot of the better pieces they'll pick up in a very limited run, and they're sold out by early in the season. My experience is that, by 70%, most of what's left is stuff from the weirder brands, like V:Room. If you want bargains, I think the best places in Boston are The Tannery and Alan Bilzerian.

As for terms, the online ones seem a little crazy - I've never had any problems face-to-face. It's a *very* small shop and they only take returns for credit, but I can't say I mind when the clothes are so good. Anyway - stop in, that's great they have a webstore!

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr bunbury
FWIW, I love this store. I do most of my shopping at Stel's. Jon and Tina are super nice, and they are very knowledgeable about the clothes. I don't always love Jon's buys, but I like what they are going for. The clothes they pick are very casual, hardly ever too fashionable, trendy, or gimmicky, and always of very high quality. The stuff I've bought from them is usually the stuff I wear years down the line, whereas I've made lots of purchases at Barneys or elsewhere that I regret later.

If there's a weakness to the shop, it's that the clothes are *too* casual. It's a small space and they stick to their niche. But in person it all makes sense and everything looks great together.

I agree with chronaug that it's not a great shop for sales. They don't buy much. A lot of the better pieces they'll pick up in a very limited run, and they're sold out by early in the season. My experience is that, by 70%, most of what's left is stuff from the weirder brands, like V:Room. If you want bargains, I think the best places in Boston are The Tannery and Alan Bilzerian.

As for terms, the online ones seem a little crazy - I've never had any problems face-to-face. It's a *very* small shop and they only take returns for credit, but I can't say I mind when the clothes are so good. Anyway - stop in, that's great they have a webstore!

Eh, Sales at the Tannery aren't all that great either. Never go very low and i saw some spring stuff sitting at like 40-50% off into august and then come september the whole rack was cleared maybe to consignment shop or some other retailer.

Too bad even at 80% off i probably couldn't afford Alan Bilzerian items
frown.gif

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that Jon is a very nice guy. I just stopped by and picked up a nice Relwen sweater that was 30% off, they definitely have stuff in store that is not on the site.

mr bunbury

Reaction score
Eh, Sales at the Tannery aren't all that great either. Never go very low and i saw some spring stuff sitting at like 40-50% off into august and then come september the whole rack was cleared maybe to consignment shop or some other retailer.

Too bad even at 80% off i probably couldn't afford Alan Bilzerian items
frown.gif

You'd be surprised - AB gets really cheap towards the end of their sale. Last year (which I know was unusual, but still) they had a bunch of racks with $39.99 and $49.99 knits. I picked up a bunch of MMM dress shirts for $49 each earlier in that sale season.

On another note - The Tannery stashes a bunch of el cheapo items in the old Tannery - the one underneath the Gap. Last time I was in they had a bunch of KMW sweatshirts for $49, some Acne raincoats for cheap, R&B Harringtons in smaller sizes - great deals, IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads