• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will be looking for a while

Volume

Reaction score
I have them, too. They are superb. Mine had a bit of a dull patch, too. I mistakenly applied a dark brown polish to this bit and the color sank in. I didn't think cordovan did this. Anyway, the dull patch became somewhat darker than the rest. I don't really mind this, but it would be good to know. I wouldn't do anything with your other than to wipe with a damp cloth and buff for five minutes with a clean horsehair brush.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
i do a half size down for barrie, half size down + 1 width for leydon

also alden don't really go on sale. you can maybe find some discounts when a store is clearing out a style they are discontinuing/don't have much left of, but this won't include stuff like indies

your best bet is trying to find a boutique that carries the shoes and does a 20% off store wide type deal

ajv

Reaction score
Hi all,

I passed a shop where they were selling some Alden, pretty rare around where I live. I've tried some high laced boots in #8 shell, with a commando sole. The model is a 4480, looks pretty nice, except that to my eye the las used, and i don't know which last that is, looks a bit wide at the toe. And the price seems a bit high, around 1'250 USD.
Are there any boots on a more narrow last, like on the Aberdeen out there ? Saw the AF79 from Alden of Carmel, what do you think ?
Many thanks for helping me.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My alden ravello PTBs:

B4cnP.jpg

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
last time I was there, no; the ravello was a special run that theyd had ordered for awhile

also aren't aldens apparently too formal for law school?!

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow you really like to keep tabs on me son

i was just curious ...

and you are right boots are a little too much for school, but longwings/wing tips are perfect for interviews, firm and court work. dont worry plenty of time for me to wear dressier shoes but not really boots

thanks for caring

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
if by keeping tabs on you you mean rememebring a post you made in this thread like yesterday yea....

most of alden dc's non no . 8 / black cordo offerings are special runs. you can preorder with no deposit but the spots filll up quickly IME

videocrew

Reaction score
I don't understand the "boots are too formal for law school" talk. I wear my Indys a couple times a week, and cordovan LHS's fairly often. It's no big deal, who looks at your shoes?

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by videocrew
I don't understand the "boots are too formal for law school" talk. I wear my Indys a couple times a week, and cordovan LHS's fairly often. It's no big deal, who looks at your shoes?
Ok everyone is misunderstanding what I said. All I am saying is that personally from a simple cost/benefit analysis boots are at the bottom of my priorities list. With my limited budget, time, and other wants/needs it is simply not worth me paying such a high priced boot with little to no wear. I don't know where u go or where it is but that's great u wear Indys boots. But I live on campus and can walk in under 1 minute to my class and can wear flip flops. It is so casual here again I can't justify having these. I love the aldens and want to keep them as well. However I just can't justify the 450+ boots with all my other shoes, from quoddys to common projects to alden longwings, coupled with the other interests I have.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
good lord, was at a party at thanksgiving and someone knocked over some stupid malin & goetz candle and spilled wax all over my chukkas. FML. The oil from the candle has ruined them. I washed them and used a suede eraser etc...nothing. just a huge oil stain on the suede.

looks like i peed on them every time i wear them.

there goes 300 dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads