• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^Very nice 993. I'm also an advocate of driving AWD Porsches in winter, with proper tires of course, so the same question came to my mind when I read the post. They handle exceptionally well and can often go when other vehicles, including SUV's, can't. Winter is when I drive mine the most. Nonetheless, I do appreciate those who prefer to store their cars over winter.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
There's nothing hostile about my comment, and it's very valid. The '99 Carrera is nothing special and more than capable in the snow (as are all AWD Porsches) so I'm just trying to wrap my head around why he would store it for the winter. He stated it's because he doesn't trust other drivers and that's a valid reason. Definitely no Porsche envy here. Well at least not that particular Porsche. The 1999 996 is arguably one of the least desirable Porsches ever built.
Oh, yes, it was a hostile comment, and at base a put down of something that another person cares about. The fact that you deny it while doing so over and over...is questionable, to put it tactfully. The point is inarguable given your phrasing that the car "is nothing special" that you have "no...envy" for "that particular Porsche" and finally that it is "arguably one of the least desirable Porsches." If you have to ask why someone would keep a Porsche as a summer car, you either 1) no nothing about cars and the people who drive them, which you've proven is untrue, or 2) you were being snarky about the perceived monetary value of the car and its relationship to how the car should be cared for. At the very least you are trolling, bawlin. (never was a username as apt). Best Regards, Huntsman

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Oh, yes, it was a hostile comment, and at base a put down of something that another person cares about. The fact that you deny it while doing so over and over...is questionable, to put it tactfully. The point is inarguable given your phrasing that the car "is nothing special" that you have "no...envy" for "that particular Porsche" and finally that it is "arguably one of the least desirable Porsches."

If you have to ask why someone would keep a Porsche as a summer car, you either 1) no nothing about cars and the people who drive them, which you've proven is untrue, or 2) you were being snarky about the perceived monetary value of the car and its relationship to how the car should be cared for.

At the very least you are trolling, bawlin. (never was a username as apt).

Best Regards,
Huntsman

1) I reiterate that there is nothing special about a 1999 C4. Perhaps if this was a 964 RS America, or a GT3 or something like that, I could understand storing it as those are special cars that do not deserve to be subjected to road salt etc (lets ignore the fact that they're RWD for a second). At the moment, there's 27 1999 Carreras for sale on eBay right now. Lord knows how many more on AutoTrader. If the OP was to total his vehicle (god forbid), it would be easily replaceable. This is what I mean by 'nothing special'. This isn't a putdown by any means. There's 24 of my car in the same model year on eBay right now.

2) I only stated I have no envy for this car because someone suggested that I do. I'm not a brand-snob so I could care less if it has the People's State of Wurttemberg coat of arms on the hood. Same goes for a roundel, prancing horse, etc.

3) If anyone would like to dispute that the 1999 Carrera is one of the least desirable Porsches ever built, by all means present your argument. I do know, however, that this sentiment is shared by the majority of Porsche enthusiasts. Same goes for the late-70's/early-90's Targa (which I love!).

4) Yes, I do have to ask why someone would keep an AWD car as a summer vehicle. Doesn't make sense to me. Again, these cars are awesome in the snow so I just wanted to know the logic behind keeping it garaged in the winter.

fight[1].gif

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
1) I reiterate that there is nothing special about a 1999 C4. Perhaps if this was a 964 RS America, or a GT3 or something like that, I could understand storing it as those are special cars that do not deserve to be subjected to road salt etc (lets ignore the fact that they're RWD for a second). At the moment, there's 27 1999 Carreras for sale on eBay right now. Lord knows how many more on AutoTrader. If the OP was to total his vehicle (god forbid), it would be easily replaceable. This is what I mean by 'nothing special'. This isn't a putdown by any means. There's 24 of my car in the same model year on eBay right now.

2) I only stated I have no envy for this car because someone suggested that I do. I'm not a brand-snob so I could care less if it has the People's State of Wurttemberg coat of arms on the hood. Same goes for a roundel, prancing horse, etc.

3) If anyone would like to dispute that the 1999 Carrera is one of the least desirable Porsches ever built, by all means present your argument. I do know, however, that this sentiment is shared by the majority of Porsche enthusiasts. Same goes for the late-70's/early-90's Targa (which I love!).

4) Yes, I do have to ask why someone would keep an AWD car as a summer vehicle. Doesn't make sense to me. Again, these cars are awesome in the snow so I just wanted to know the logic behind keeping it garaged in the winter.

fight[1].gif

dozingoff.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, yes, it was a hostile comment, and at base a put down of something that another person cares about. The fact that you deny it while doing so over and over...is questionable, to put it tactfully. The point is inarguable given your phrasing that the car "is nothing special" that you have "no...envy" for "that particular Porsche" and finally that it is "arguably one of the least desirable Porsches."

If you have to ask why someone would keep a Porsche as a summer car, you either 1) no nothing about cars and the people who drive them, which you've proven is untrue, or 2) you were being snarky about the perceived monetary value of the car and its relationship to how the car should be cared for.

At the very least you are trolling, bawlin. (never was a username as apt).

Best Regards,
Huntsman

I suspect bawlin enjoys trolling in this thread, if his comment that the color of my car makes him vomit is any indication. Not sure I've ever seen any pictures of his cars in here, so maybe there is a little envy behind the obviously inflammatory passive-aggressive posts.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we not allowed to have an opinion? You post a picture of your car, expect there to be comments made towards it, both good and bad.

I hate Silverstone, get over it.

And no, I don't have any pictures of my car because I don't put it on any sort of pedestal and to be honest, it's 100% stock and I can't go half an hour without seeing another one, so pictures would be a waste of time.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are we not allowed to have an opinion? You post a picture of your car, expect there to be comments made towards it, both good and bad.

I hate Silverstone, get over it.

And no, I don't have any pictures of my car because I don't put it on any sort of pedestal and to be honest, it's 100% stock and I can't go half an hour without seeing another one, so pictures would be a waste of time.

There's good and bad and then there's plain old being an asshole. Your comments tend to fall more towards the latter.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My comments make me look like an asshole in your opinion because you're genuinely affected by the fact that someone has something negative to say about your car. If you can't take criticism, don't post pictures of your personal belongings on a public forum. Simple as that.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
My comments make me look like an asshole in your opinion because you're genuinely affected by the fact that someone has something negative to say about your car. If you can't take criticism, don't post pictures of your personal belongings on a public forum. Simple as that.

I have no hound in this hunt, and your comments made you look like an asshole.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No, your comments make me think you're an asshole because of their consistently rude and boorish character. There's a difference. I really don't care what you think about the color of my car because I am fairly certain it's better than what you've got, so I suspect it might be jealousy speaking. Go back and read the rest of this page, am I the only one calling you out?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either you are merely trying to wriggle, or you have a genuine difficulty with understanding how to disagree in a tactful manner. Such an ability is useful in life.
You are confusing 'special' with ease of availability on the market. I have a summer car that sells for less than that C4 that I would not subject to salt and risk in the winter because it's my car. This is pretty patent to any car buff, and I doubt your ignorance of it. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't consider spending 18k to replace a car easy. Nor would I consider spending whatever fraction of that insurance I would have to pay after insurance gave me some paltry BB sum to repurchase a car "easy." Further, a new C4 would not be his car. It would be another car. This is not so easily replaced, nor quantified. Again, as a car buff I doubt if you are unaware that people have a special allegiance to their car, that is over and above their allegiance to a particular model.
I didn't speak to why you stated your lack of envy, only how you couched it, and you did so in a specific manner that was not as function of the brand, as you proposition above, but was a specific put down of the car.
3) If anyone would like to dispute that the 1999 Carrera is one of the least desirable Porsches ever built, by all means present your argument. I do know, however, that this sentiment is shared by the majority of Porsche enthusiasts. Same goes for the late-70's/early-90's Targa (which I love!). 4) Yes, I do have to ask why someone would keep an AWD car as a summer vehicle. Doesn't make sense to me. Again, these cars are awesome in the snow so I just wanted to know the logic behind keeping it garaged in the winter.
I know nothing about Porsches. But the market desirability of a vehicle has nothing to do with someone's regard for their car. For heaven's sake some people loved Edsels. And Pontiac Aztecs. And just about every other 'ugly' or 'undesirable' car in existence -- most of which have so little to reccommend them when compared to a Porsche, any Porsche, that the comparison alone is ridiculous. But you, you did not say, as you purport above, "what exactly is so bad about driving an AWD Porsche in the winter?" What you actually said was:
Out of curiosity, what exactly is so bad about driving an $18k Porsche in the winter?
Not "what is so bad about driving and AWD Porsche in the winter", but "what exactly is so bad about driving an $18k Porsche in the winter?" You are directly diminishing the worth of the car to its owner by implying that its market value is so low that there is no reason to act to preserve it from winter conditions -- as you again claim above (with another insult in your own defense that you are not being insulting), that there is no reason to not let it be subjected to road salt. That is a direct put down. It was certainly rude, completely tactless, and I won't argue with hostile. You remind me of those smug wannabe punk kids who wore apparel emblazoned with FCUK that there was no insult, and that they were only representing a brand they like, that was really "French Connection U.K.," and that anybody who thought otherwise was either uninformed or had a problem with them, despite the brands advertising that capitalized on the similarity to ****.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I really don't care what you think about the color of my car because I am fairly certain it's better than what you've got

Man, even if I didn't know you drive an E9x M3, this comment right here is a dead giveaway.

They say M3 drivers are the biggest douches, and I can't say I disagree.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, even if I didn't know you drive an E9x M3, this comment right here is a dead giveaway. They say M3 drivers are the biggest douches, and I can't say I disagree.
My everyday car is a Pontiac. This applies to me how?

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My everyday car is a Pontiac. This applies to me how?

I wasn't quoting your post...

Anyways this topic should be dropped. I was never insulting the OP's car. Perhaps it was wrong to diminish the value of the car, and for that I apologize to the OP.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Nice car, but f*ck, that is one awful color, was it the last one on the lot?

confused.gif
Are you trolling bawlin style? I hope so
frown.gif

I like my color. I think it's the best color for my car, and also just works for me. I want a no-nonsense, straightforward car and this color worked well for me. If I had gone with an M3 or at least a 335i I might have gone with a flashier color, but this was just the right kind of businesslike for a 328xi, I thought.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads