• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Racove

Reaction score
I just ordered the W+H chambray vest from Stel's. They have a great selection of items, but their terms & conditions are just insane. I'd never pay full price there.

$15 domestic shipping. Exchange for same item only in different size. And worst of all... they give you 24 hrs to request a refund, which then has to arrive back in there shop within 5 days. You really strike out if an item doesnt fit. $15 shipping then have to pay for rushed shipping back.

Hopefully, we can make them an affliate and cure them of their misguided ways. For example, the clothing photos are great... but the shoes pictures are absurd.

garmis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racove
I just ordered the W+H chambray vest from Stel's. They have a great selection of items, but their terms & conditions are just insane. I'd never pay full price there.

$15 domestic shipping. Exchange for same item only in different size. And worst of all... they give you 24 hrs to request a refund, which then has to arrive back in there shop within 5 days. You really strike out if an item doesnt fit. $15 shipping then have to pay for rushed shipping back.

Hopefully, we can make them an affliate and cure them of their misguided ways. For example, the clothing photos are great... but the shoes pictures are absurd.

I was planning on purchasing that vest but the terms are RIDICULOUS. Simply not worth the risk of an improper fit. What a shame. Great price on the vest, IMO.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was acuin there a few months ago with the manager showing him the site and kind of hinting at becoming an affiliate, they have a lot of great stuff in the store but very limited quantities and the terms are quite wack... even if you buy in store the return/exchange policy is horrible. I dont think it has affected their business at all though... very popular in the Boston area.

Racove

Reaction score
Not alot of competition locally, but on the web, things are quite a bit more competitive.

Racove

Reaction score
Originally Posted by __CB__
my-wardobe.com "We are doing a Secret Sale this weekend, 30 % off on everything on our site only excluding sale items. (Yes it does include Burberry, Mulberry and all other brands) The Sale will not be featured on our website and only be sent out to blogs and onlines so share the love..!! The code is MWFF and only valid till midnight Monday"
Similar concerns. What the terms and conditions here? Even riskier when dealing w/ the UK. the links to that and Shipping & Returns doesn't seem to work. Edit: Ooops. found it opening in a separate window. Sorry.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got those Comey boots in a 9.5 but I had to find a better photo in the SF Comey thread. It's as if they are trying to be mysterious with those photos and not give away what they really look like.

By the way, I don't think I was charged shipping, even though I selected the $15 option. It said $0.00 at the bottom. I agree that the return/exchange policy is whack but it's final sale on those anyway so that didn't really matter.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similar concerns. What the terms and conditions here? Even riskier when dealing w/ the UK. the links to that and Shipping & Returns doesn't seem to work.

Yeah, $30 shipping to the U.S. or thereabouts. Is that what you found? I was going to pick up a couple of shirts, but that's a dealbreaker.

pdsf

Reaction score
Similar concerns. What the terms and conditions here? Even riskier when dealing w/ the UK. the links to that and Shipping & Returns doesn't seem to work.

Edit:
Ooops. found it opening in a separate window. Sorry.

Very pricey shipping - I understand postage in the UK is higher compared to the US, but they charge way more than many UK online retailers. Furthermore, they charge you "duty and tax" (not VAT), even for US customers. Crazy - I wanted to get a jacket and the above two added at least 60+ bucks on top. No thanks.... I have written them about this duty business - will let you know when I hear back.

Sometimes I wish I was still living in the UK.
smile.gif

King Leer

Reaction score
same here. had some stuff in a cart but was like NO THANKS after all that

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
I was acuin there a few months ago with the manager showing him the site and kind of hinting at becoming an affiliate, they have a lot of great stuff in the store but very limited quantities and the terms are quite wack... even if you buy in store the return/exchange policy is horrible. I dont think it has affected their business at all though... very popular in the Boston area.

Were you talking to John? If you were, he must have been being coy. I lived in Boston for 4 years, and got to know John and Tina reasonably well. These days, we say hi if we run into one another at tradeshows, and I'll phone to ask about new merchandise once in a while. Good shop, solid people. Was the best boutique in Men and Women contemporary when I was in Boston.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Were you talking to John? If you were, he must have been being coy. I lived in Boston for 4 years, and got to know John and Tina reasonably well. These days, we say hi if we run into one another at tradeshows, and I'll phone to ask about new merchandise once in a while. Good shop, solid people. Was the best boutique in Men and Women contemporary when I was in Boston.

Yea was John, he was actually trying to find some pics of the grey slim fit W+H denim (couldnt find them on the Roden Grey blog) and I had pointed him to the W+H thread on the forum, then we got to talking about it.

Racove

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdsf
Very pricey shipping - I understand postage in the UK is higher compared to the US, but they charge way more than many UK online retailers. Furthermore, they charge you "duty and tax" (not VAT), even for US customers. Crazy - I wanted to get a jacket and the above two added at least 60+ bucks on top. No thanks.... I have written them about this duty business - will let you know when I hear back.

I could probably deal w/ the shipping charges, but the fact that they don't waive the 17% VAT is just crazy. Also, it implies they cant even refund that 'duty and tax' charge if you do a refund.

Anyone know of any other UK sites having sales? Better selection and prices of certain UK brands than here in US.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caveat
I got those Comey boots in a 9.5 but I had to find a better photo in the SF Comey thread. It's as if they are trying to be mysterious with those photos and not give away what they really look like.

By the way, I don't think I was charged shipping, even though I selected the $15 option. It said $0.00 at the bottom. I agree that the return/exchange policy is whack but it's final sale on those anyway so that didn't really matter.

Their shots of shoes are pretty awful.

When I was checking out to see how much shipping was, it did say $0.00 at the bottom even though I checked the $15 option, but it bumped the total up to $295.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Not alot of competition locally, but on the web, things are quite a bit more competitive.

Stel's actually has competition in boston these days. Barneys carries a few of the same brands they do and The Tannery in Cambridge has stepped their game up in the past 2 years a lot. A solid selection of R&B, shirt by shirt (ones i actually like i haven't seen before), steven alan, cdg shirt, yohji Y's, nico, saw BoO awhile back but haven't lately (still BoO x sperrys though), acne, barbour, common projects, pierre hardy, red wings, KMW, kzo, and a few others that forumites would like.

Stel's is nice but their prices are just "ok" and beaten by some online retailers. Also, they seem kinda averse to sales. The staff is usually friendly though. I haven't bought anything from there but have walked through a few times. They still have 1 pair of W&H original black leather service boots (not the charcoal nubuck) in a size 10.5 or 11 (they fit like an 11.5 from what i remember) but they still are pricing them at original retail something like $775

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads