• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stel's has a new website

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
They're new so hopefully they'll realize just how awful their product shots are.
Are you serious? Their pictures are much better than most, including certain SF affiliates...

Also, code 10offLaunch will get you 10% off right now.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Are you serious? Their pictures are much better than most, including certain SF affiliates...

Also, code 10offLaunch will get you 10% off right now.

I really like the Stel's guys. They were a bright light in an otherwise non-stellar Boston shopping scene. The shots of the tops are pretty good, but the shots of the bottoms could really use some tweaking. I think that that downward angle is not really flattering.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Yeah, I guess I can see that on the bottoms.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And better shots of the shoes are needed too. I see they have the Comey Rugger Boots, man those things are nice.

$15 shipping within the US turns me off.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Are you serious? Their pictures are much better than most, including certain SF affiliates... Also, code 10offLaunch will get you 10% off right now.
alfie_front.jpg
Product shooting 101, Lesson 1: When blank space takes up more of the photo than the actual product itself, you might have a problem. Going off of what tonio028 said, they give three shots for the shoes which would be fine if that actually included a birds-eye and side angle. I'm not being harsh simply for the sake of it but the person(s) who did the shoot simply didn't think things through and probably did so in a hurry or for the first time.

mikey34

Reaction score
I agree with whodini, need close up shots of the shoes.

reprehensible

Reaction score
The shoes aren't shot great, but everything else I see was shot really well. Pictures big enough to see some details! Amazing. Shots of the pants look fine to me.

The general horrible-ness of the pictures available from online clothing retailers is an ongoing peeve of mine, and this is definitely on the better side. I can't think of a place with better pictures off the top of my head, actually.

Another thing I like: the guy modeling the Geller stuff is my size! That never happens.

__CB__

Reaction score
Agree with Whodini, many of the photos are bad... but frankly, very few stores get it right.

Some simple things they missed -

- If the clothes are wrinkly as ****, steam/iron them.
- Take clear front-on and back photos, maybe a side on and inner shots if the item warrants it... and be consistent at it. Its terrible to see a mish-mash of different model poses on the same page.
- Don't overdo photo compression to save a few KB. Feels like many of their shots were output at 50% quality or so / lack sharpness.

Racove

Reaction score
Cross Posted with the Sales Alert page:

I just ordered the W+H chambray vest from Stel's. They have a great selection of items, but their terms & conditions are just insane. I'd never pay full price there.

$15 domestic shipping. Exchange for same item only in different size. And worst of all... they give you 24 hrs to request a refund, which then has to arrive back in there shop within 5 days. You really strike out if an item doesnt fit. $15 shipping then have to pay for rushed shipping back.

Hopefully, we can make them an affliate and cure them of their misguided ways. For example, the clothing photos are great... but the shoes pictures are absurd.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Good heads up on terrible policies thanks racove.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The policies didn't really apply to the final sale item I bought at midnight last night. It's 11 AM here on a Saturday and I just got my email shipping notice, so at least that's impressive.

garmis

Reaction score
I broke down and copped the W+H chambray vest in a large. Unlike you Caveat, I was charged the $15 shipping but $215 was a solid enough price for me on this piece.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads