• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

EnzyteBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
I hope not. That would be stupid since there would essentially be no navy option. Afterall, what distinguishes black from navy "black to the eye"?

Well, it's stupid then, but regardless it still looks black.

Regal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skrooler
Comments on fit on my Sterlingwear Authentic 40XL ? Should I try going for 38XL? I'm afraid the sleeves might be too short then. I plan on layering with a hoodie or sweatshirt of similar thickness when it gets real cold (I do live in Wisconsin)

wn7gOl.jpg

Looks like it fits perfectly to me...can't imagine going another whole size down from that fitment, especially if you plan to wear normal winter clothes underneath it.

Peacoat

Reaction score
A lot of discussion here on peacoats (obviously). Some good information and some not so good information.

There are generally three areas which cause the most discussion among peacoat aficionados: color, fit and finish. If one is the owner of a military peacoat, the question is invariably, when was my coat in service?

I will mostly limit my discussion to military peacoats as that is my "specialty." The color question is straightforward: From 1980 until present, all issue peacoats are black, not a deep blue or a "midnight" blue, but just a basic black. Prior to 1980 all issue peacoats were a deep and dark "midnight" blue, for want of a better term. Such a deep and dark blue that it actually appears to be black, until viewed in sunlight.

Military peacoats, as are most military uniforms, are closely fitted. This doesn't mean so tightly fitted that they are difficult to move in, but fitted enough to give a very trim appearance. If one is overweight, especially in the mid section, a military peacoat is not for him. I wear a size 42 jacket, and a size 42 peacoat fits me perfectly. It leaves enough room underneath for a heavy wool shirt and a sweater for those really cold winter days and nights. I have found that the earlier peacoats, such as the WWII and early post war versions, are a little more tightly fitted than the ones from about the late 50s to current issue. The civilian market coats are much looser in fit and more "boxy" in appearance.

In 1980 different contract specifications were published, and the outer finish of the peacoats was changed. The wool shell used "Melton" wool instead of the "Kersey" wool that had been used since the beginning of time. The Melton was a rougher, more scratchy type of wool, compared to the smooth and finer finish of the Kersey. As the Melton wasn't as heavy, a Thinsulate liner was added for additional warmth. Nor is the Melton as tightly woven. This causes the current issue peacoats to lose some of the wind and water resistant qualities of the older Kersey wool coats. My tests, as well as the reports I have received from others, indicate the current issue coats are about as warm, but not as wind or water resistant, as the pre 1980 peacoats.

This brings us to the last question of when was a military peacoat in service? After several years of research, I wrote an article on the dating of vintage military peacoats. This article has proved useful to the owner of a peacoat who wishes to determine its provenance, as well as the prospective owner who wants a vintage coat for its qualities. The article may be found here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=37699

EnzyteBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hollowthorn
Whats the difference between The Authentic and The Navigator?

You weren't able to find the answer in the last 108 pages?

Mexicorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skrooler
Comments on fit on my Sterlingwear Authentic 40XL ? Should I try going for 38XL? I'm afraid the sleeves might be too short then. I plan on layering with a hoodie or sweatshirt of similar thickness when it gets real cold (I do live in Wisconsin)

wn7gOl.jpg

How tall are you?

I gave sterlingwear a call a few days ago asking if I should get a 36L or XL (i'm 6'2") and the lady insisted I should just be a L, but I have my doubts with that small a chest size.

skrooler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mexicorn
How tall are you?

I gave sterlingwear a call a few days ago asking if I should get a 36L or XL (i'm 6'2") and the lady insisted I should just be a L, but I have my doubts with that small a chest size.

I'm 6'4". I normally wear a regular medium in shirts and the length of those is just perfect.

My chest is only 40" if I stand straight up and somewhat puff my chest out at best (working on that though).

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or does sizing down on sterlingwear **** up the neck, and when wearing mine makes me want to slouch my head.

Cheweh

Reaction score
just received my sterlingwear classic in the mail.

I sized down from my chest size (34) to size 32.

It was a little tighter than anticipated, but it fits very nicely. I can probably fit a sweater and a button down underneath it.

I would advise against sizing two down (ex. 34 --> 30) as this would probably be way too tight.

AHShadow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cheweh
just received my sterlingwear authentic in the mail.

I sized down from my chest size (34) to size 32.

It was a little tighter than anticipated, but it fits very nicely. I can probably fit a sweater and a button down underneath it.

I would advise against sizing two down (ex. 34 --> 30) as this would probably be way too tight.

Do you think that staying true to size would still make a good fit? Since I want a peacoat for Canadian winter and I'm not sure if getting a 32 would make it too tight (I'm almost 34 chest size as well)?

Cheweh

Reaction score
Yeah you could probably wear a 34 in the sterlingwear classic without it looking too loose.

I think part of the reason why the classic fits so tight is because it's made of 32 oz wool while the others are made of 24 oz.

wonderwall

Reaction score
Cheweh, what's your height/weight? i'm 5'9, 120lb. not sure if i should also go with a size 32. thanks.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5'9" and wondering about a 32? Does half this forum post from Auschwitz?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads