• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

when did gluten suddenly become the most lethal substance known to man?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
someone please enlighten the unwashed masses.

it appears that it's a complete ******* miracle that i'm still alive after ingesting mass amounts over the years.

or is this one of those fad things like Atkins, Jenny Craig, and broccoli?

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's always been an issue for people with celiac disease.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
It's always been an issue for people with celiac disease.

truth. and it's a big issue, at that.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also for anorexics and hypochondriacs who, it turns out, have every food allergy they read about.

hedgehog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
Also for anorexics and hypochondriacs who, it turns out, have every food allergy they read about.

Haha! I know a couple of them. Milk allergy has been the big hit this year.

"No other animals drink other animals' milk, so why should we do it?!"

Because we are able to, and because we like it.
facepalm.gif

Reified

Reaction score
I hate this macho close minded attitude toward allergies. Fortunately I don't encounter it often, but I always imagine that this is what people are thinking when I mention that I have celiac. It's pure intolerance - you don't have any intestinal issues so I must be imagining mine.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ actually I have a cousin who has just been diagnosed with celiac's disease. Biopsy last week to confirm it, no less, and now her whole family is going gluten-free.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i get the celiac's disease and food allergy issues. but what i don't get is how it seems like it's "fashionable" now to go gluten free....

Reified

Reaction score
It's not fashionable; it's an allergy or an intolerance. Period.

Awareness of it has grown recently so more people are open to eliminating gluten from their diet to see if it helps them, and that's completely harmless. Going off of gluten for 2-4 weeks to see if your stomach ailments or skin rashes disappear is hardly subscribing to a fad.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it will take a little longer for us to determine whether or not this is a fad. I'm sure that Celiac's disease is now being diagnosed on a regular basis, and every one of us knows someone who has been diagnosed within the last year.

nathanKent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I think it will take a little longer for us to determine whether or not this is a fad. I'm sure that Celiac's disease is now being diagnosed on a regular basis, and every one of us knows someone who has been diagnosed within the last year.

Eh, not exactly. People self diagnose Celiac frequently, but it's a ***** to test for (I'm talking actual medical tests, not just taking a hiatus from eating bread). A lot of people who were previously diagnosed with Crohn's are being rechecked for Celiac, particularly if they haven't been responsive to medication. Celiac probably won't become a fad diagnosis, however.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ate wheat and drank milk my whole life without ever worrying about it but quit both during a diet and have had no fun when i go back to them. maybe my body has lost its ability to digest them or maybe i was feeling like crap for years but normalised it

not sure if its the gluten or the lactose

Becks23

Reaction score
I cut it out cause I'm on that paleo-tip and have generally been quite happy with it.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nathanKent
Eh, not exactly. People self diagnose Celiac frequently, but it's a ***** to test for (I'm talking actual medical tests, not just taking a hiatus from eating bread). A lot of people who were previously diagnosed with Crohn's are being rechecked for Celiac, particularly if they haven't been responsive to medication. Celiac probably won't become a fad diagnosis, however.

Chrohn's disease is quite a bit more serious than Celiac, is it not? It's also prevalent among Ashkenazi jews, whereas everyone and his sister now has Celiac.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads