• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They send out a nice little email flyer of what's available in your size. Then you either call or email in the order. It's a good system.

SerialComma

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of Indys, and I noticed something a bit funny. I'm going to try my best to explain it, so please bear with me!

If I put the left boot on the floor and push the heel flat to the ground, the forefoot area of the outsole lifts about 1/4" from the ground. The right shoe does not do this, and the heel and forefoot rest evenly on the floor. Do I need to be worried about the left boot, or is this something that will right itself over time?

mechanical pencil

Reaction score
I just bought some seconds from the Shoemart in cordovan. I see two small imperfections, a small stitching gap at the back and a slightly torn leather lining. These don't really bother me.

What does bother me is the seeming variation in cordovan quality between the 2 shoes. One is doing that nice cordovan wave thing and the other is duller and developing little creases, almost like calf.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

I'm thinking of trying to send them back......

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mechanical pencil
I just bought some seconds from the Shoemart in cordovan. I see two small imperfections, a small stitching gap at the back and a slightly torn leather lining. These don't really bother me.

What does bother me is the seeming variation in cordovan quality between the 2 shoes. One is doing that nice cordovan wave thing and the other is duller and developing little creases, almost like calf.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

I'm thinking of trying to send them back......

those problems seem like big deals ... makes me never wanna purchase seconds

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
isnt that the risk in buying seconds? not sure why they'd take them back since they were knowingly sold/bought as not being right in some way

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yah. I believe they accept returns so if you weren't happy with the color variation I wouldbe sent them back. That is the inherent danger of buying seconds

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
Man, I've been reading this thread too much. Just ordered the Ravello shell wingtip boots from Shoemart. Can't wait.
44621H.jpg

i just got the exact same shoes in lowtop form from Leather Soul. LOVE IT

dport86

Reaction score
There's no free lunch.

I've bought 3 pairs of seconds from Shoemart, and while I find them to offer very attentive and reponsive service, beware the much proclaimed observation that you can't tell the difference between seconds and firsts (or that they are all some minor cosmetic flaw).

For e.g. I had a cracked shell shoe (which they did take back). This is a major flaw which happens when cordovan is stretched too tight on the last (there is a German doc showing Horween cordovan being cracked at the AE factory). It was not disclosed and I had to pay for shipping both ways. I've also had uneven stitching and flaws that went almost all the way through the leather.

The other thing you don't factor in when purchasing shoes from Shoemart or any other online retailer is the difficulty of fitting Aldens, with all their different lasts. Despite all their best efforts it is simply impossible for Shoemart to fit you properly over the phone. I purchased a pair of boots wore them, found them a little big but couldn't return them (once I'd worn them). Later, I found that the size recommended were in a last that I should have sized 1/2 size down on. I also received a pair of seconds that were not the size I ordered (or marked on the box). I had worn them once before I realized this--lesson to check everything before you wear internet ordered shoes. Shoemart did not offer to take them back. Lastly, as with all handsewn shoes, there can be slight size variations even between same-sized shoes (which I've experienced in Alden-made Brooks Brothers in the store).

Note that even if you are able to return your Shoemart seconds, you pay shipping both ways with shoemart on seconds, making it a potentially $40 mistake.

Although you can potentially get a great deal on Alden seconds, and though for some this makes shells potentially within reach, be aware of the downside. My 3 pairs were all good deals but in the end I was somewhat unsatisfied with each of them. For that reason, the last pair of shells I bought were full price cigar chukkas from Alden SF. It was worth it to be able to try them on and examine them in person. And I'm still loving them.

I'm still tempted every time I see the Shoemart flyer, but $400 (incl. shipping) is still expensive for a shoe that doesn't quite work for you.

Caveat emptor

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dport86
There's no free lunch.

I've bought 3 pairs of seconds from Shoemart, and while I find them to offer very attentive and reponsive service, beware the much proclaimed observation that you can't tell the difference between seconds and firsts (or that they are all some minor cosmetic flaw).

For e.g. I had a cracked shell shoe (which they did take back). This is a major flaw which happens when cordovan is stretched too tight on the last (there is a German doc showing Horween cordovan being cracked at the AE factory). It was not disclosed and I had to pay for shipping both ways. I've also had uneven stitching and flaws that went almost all the way through the leather.

The other thing you don't factor in when purchasing shoes from Shoemart or any other online retailer is the difficulty of fitting Aldens, with all their different lasts. Despite all their best efforts it is simply impossible for Shoemart to fit you properly over the phone. I purchased a pair of boots wore them, found them a little big but couldn't return them (once I'd worn them). Later, I found that the size recommended were in a last that I should have sized 1/2 size down on. I also received a pair of seconds that were not the size I ordered (or marked on the box). I had worn them once before I realized this--lesson to check everything before you wear internet ordered shoes. Shoemart did not offer to take them back. Lastly, as with all handsewn shoes, there can be slight size variations even between same-sized shoes (which I've experienced in Alden-made Brooks Brothers in the store).

Note that even if you are able to return your Shoemart seconds, you pay shipping both ways with shoemart on seconds, making it a potentially $40 mistake.

Although you can potentially get a great deal on Alden seconds, and though for some this makes shells potentially within reach, be aware of the downside. My 3 pairs were all good deals but in the end I was somewhat unsatisfied with each of them. For that reason, the last pair of shells I bought were full price cigar chukkas from Alden SF. It was worth it to be able to try them on and examine them in person. And I'm still loving them.

I'm still tempted every time I see the Shoemart flyer, but $400 (incl. shipping) is still expensive for a shoe that doesn't quite work for you.

Caveat emptor

Good advice here. I've spent a lot of time and money buying and the re-selling sale items in an effort to "save" money..

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I just use regular cedar shoe trees in my boots.
I wasn't talking about using boot trees (I'm using regular cedar trees, too), just wondering if those people were using any trees at all. The creasing looked serious.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
Enough to reeeally second guess buying firsts. I have bought two seconds and can not find the flaws.
Good to know, I keep looking and doing a "well for just a little more I can get ..." ending up in me wanting some Cigar shell at >$600 lol
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
They send out a nice little email flyer of what's available in your size. Then you either call or email in the order. It's a good system.
Is there some special newsletter to sign up for or is it the standard one?
Originally Posted by SerialComma
I just bought a pair of Indys, and I noticed something a bit funny. I'm going to try my best to explain it, so please bear with me! If I put the left boot on the floor and push the heel flat to the ground, the forefoot area of the outsole lifts about 1/4" from the ground. The right shoe does not do this, and the heel and forefoot rest evenly on the floor. Do I need to be worried about the left boot, or is this something that will right itself over time?
I tried on a few pairs and they were like this, think it's the heel pad (not sure if it'll go away as one wears them).

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't remember signing up for anything. Maybe they put my email in the system when I ordered my shoes.

I'd email them and asked to be put on

Tripleterror

Reaction score
Just got my Ravello Wingtip Boots from Shoemart, Superb
I have noticed a small 'flat' area about 1/2" in diameter where the cordovan isn't as 'shiny' as the rest of the boot.
Is this just a natural thing or can it be rectified by polishing?
I'm a bit reluctant to do anything until I get some advice.
Simon

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if anyone wants my pre-order for the Alden x Context Tankers in black in size 8.5D let me know ... they are shipping early-mid Dec. so just in 2 weeks or so.

they are sold out but i cant get a refund from context so someone can just take it from me.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads