• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just killed two little cockroaches

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I've done the middle-of-the-night seen and haven't seen any. I just got home (it's dark out, all lights are off) and turned the kitchen lights on as I soon as I opened the front door. Nothing. I would probably lose my mind if I saw a bunch of them scurrying across the kitchen floor.

Make sure to look around the cabinets, kitchen sink, under the kitchen sink, and in the bathroom. F***ers love moisture, darkness, and food - at least from what I remember.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Make sure to look around the cabinets, kitchen sink, under the kitchen sink, and in the bathroom. F***ers love moisture, darkness, and food - at least from what I remember.
I've never really had a roach issue before*, but from what I understand, this is more or less accurate. Roaches are tropical creatures by origin, and they love warmth and moisture. The corollary, of course, is that they dry out easily and have a low tolerance for cold. One rather extreme solution, which should work in theory, is to keep your house or apartment at a consistently cooler temperature than the temperature outside. This will cause the roaches to migrate outside rather than inside. Where this solution becomes somewhat untenable is in the winter in colder climates. If you're willing to freeze your ass off by keeping your indoor temps colder than the outdoors, you'll live a roach-free, but highly uncomfortable existence. Spot-killing, i.e., traps and glue and whatnot, is more or less ineffective. It can be a good indicator of whether or not you have roaches in the first place (a single dead roach in a trap is a pretty reliable indicator of an infestation). But beyond that, you're not going to do any damage to a thriving insect colony by killing off individuals. Unfortunately, those "bait" traps -- where roaches pick up bait, bring it back to their colonies, then share it with their friends -- don't do much damage over the long term, either. This is because roach colonies are decentralized. There is no central living place, hive, or hierarchy like you'd find with bees or ants. The only reliable solution over the long term is a regular schedule of extermination by insecticide. It won't ever permanently solve a roach problem, but it'll keep one in some degree of remission. *While it's true that I've never faced a roach infestation (thank God), I had a huge cricket problem when I lived in Southern California. Crickets and roaches are very close genetic cousins, and their lifestyles and MOs are very similar. They're slightly less ugly than roaches, but at night they're a serious pain **********.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You people live in disgusting shitholes.
Incredible, seeing that everybody here makes $250k+ per year.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
them tasty basterds
You've eaten a coconut crab? Seriously? Do they range in the Philippines? Does the meat taste like coconut or especially sweet? I've often wondered. They look pretty yummy, as far as crabs go. ~ H

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Roaches are nothing compared to the Demonspawn bugs that used to crawl around in my folks' basement.

scutigera-coleoptrata2.jpg

house-centipede-frontal.jpg

These guys were like 5 inches long and skittered around faster than a mouse - ceilings, floors, in your underpants - you name it.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
ninohead.gif

solpugid_jaws.jpg

2596782848_7e2069604e.jpg

1064.jpg

800px-Assassin_bug_aug08_02.jpg

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If god were real he'd save me from this dark menace.

God is probably grabbing a Fanta and a seat to watch the agony he has unleashed.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What the **** is that, seriously.

coconut+crab.jpg

Originally Posted by Huntsman
You've eaten a coconut crab? Seriously? Do they range in the Philippines? Does the meat taste like coconut or especially sweet? I've often wondered. They look pretty yummy, as far as crabs go.

~ H

just once, can't remember if it was in Singapore or in Hong Kong though. yeah the meat is, if I remember, sweeter than the usual Asian mud crab we eat around here. Less spiny too.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
*While it's true that I've never faced a roach infestation (thank God), I had a huge cricket problem when I lived in Southern California. Crickets and roaches are very close genetic cousins, and their lifestyles and MOs are very similar. They're slightly less ugly than roaches, but at night they're a serious pain **********.

Do crickets divebomb you? Because roaches do. I've eaten spiders and moths, wrestled an alligator, camped for weeks out in the swamps, etc..., but I shriek like a twelve-year old girl when I'm out downtown and one of those things dive bomb me. ******* terrifying.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Do crickets divebomb you? Because roaches do. I've eaten spiders and moths, wrestled an alligator, camped for weeks out in the swamps, etc..., but I shriek like a twelve-year old girl when I'm out downtown and one of those things dive bomb me. ******* terrifying.

+1 on this. There are few things that creep me out, but flying roaches make the list. In fact, they're probably #1 on the list. There is something profoundly rattling about a three-inch-long flying roach hurtling itself at you.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
God is probably grabbing a Fanta and a seat to watch the agony he has unleashed.

Don't encourage vanity.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
cry.gif
Where do these beasts live? Are they in D.C.?

They are. DC is humid and hot enough in the summers to foster them.
The American cockroach can fly, it just usually doesn't. When it does, however, it is truly repulsive. It spreads out and its tail hangs down as a wasp's would (extra vomit for when there is an egg sac attached to the tail). They aren't fast, but they actually seem to aim for you. I would honestly trade my left pinkie for a cockroach free world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads