• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice for a new look

40something

Reaction score
I'm 43, 5'7", 200 lbs. For a few years, my main casual "uniform" has been a nice "bowling shirt" and dockers or jeans. The shirts are nice vertical stripe color block - like a Charlie Sheen shirt from 2 and a half men. Usually, I wear a thin, coordinated, solid color t-shirt underneath. It's a comfortable outfit, good for most casual occasions, but I'm getting tired of it. I want something new that fits my "physical constraints". At 5-7 / 200, I consider myself kind of heavy, though I'm not FAT or sloppy looking. I'm barrel chested, and no real beer belly, but a tucked in shirt is not my thing. My pants usually end up sliding down below my gut, unless I really tighten my belt, which then isn't all that comfortable after a few hours of socializing (read - eating and drinking). Something untucked is more forgiving, so, I'd rather something untucked.

I've thought about the long sleeve, untucked, non-straight-bottom shirt with jeans or pants. But I think there's a very specific kind of shirt for that - not just any old untucked dress shirt.

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts for a guy my size?

Much appreciated.

Jack2000

Reaction score
The entire forum is dedicated to developing a new look. Read, read and read some more. Git rid of the bowling shirt and get some nice button downs. Buy clothes that fit. Start jogging and eat healthy. You will look better and live longer.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Consider wearing more sweaters. Untucked shirts in your 40's is not the best idea, sort of like earrings in your 40's.

An untucked shirt under a sweater is passable, but a plain untucked shirt? Iffy. A more casual shirt may work, look for casual button down's with squared ends, they are made more for wearing untucked.

Another option may be a nice rugby shirt, conversely, with a rugby, tucking it in at any age make you look a bit of a dork.

adobe10

Reaction score
Black and dark blue cotton collared shirts would be a good casual look for you.

For dinner, choose vertical stripes, still dark shades for dress shirts. Untucked, with folded sleeves. light to dark - faded blue grey jeans, black shoes.

GucciKid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Consider wearing more sweaters. Untucked shirts in your 40's is not the best idea, sort of like earrings in your 40's.

An untucked shirt under a sweater is passable, but a plain untucked shirt? Iffy. A more casual shirt may work, look for casual button down's with squared ends, they are made more for wearing untucked.

Another option may be a nice rugby shirt, conversely, with a rugby, tucking it in at any age make you look a bit of a dork.

This is good advice. While an untucked shirt can look good some of the time, though I would never do it, it is risky ground and you're more likely to end up looking like a slob.

I suggest maybe some buttondowns which you can tuck, wear casually, and will be a bit more formal than what you're used to wearing now.

Some sweaters are also not a bad idea because they stretch and are meant to be worn a bit fuller than tailored clothing, and will help to hide your girth. They also come in many different colours and styles.

Again I must stress untucked dress shirts are very shaky ground, and if at all should be worn by a younger crowd.

40something

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips (except for jack2000 ... obviously, losing weight we be a good thing, but equally obvious should have been that soliciting that response was not the point of my post).

Many of you say to stay away from untucked .. which I get ... tucked in is neat. But doesn't a tucked in shirt call attention to pants that are either tight enough to stay up (thus causing a bulge above) or are sliding down to below the gut (my gut's not that big, but its still there). Untucked covers all this and is more comfortable. So I guess I'm still looking for comfortable, stylish and untucked.

A sweater's not a bad idea, but they're can be bulky. Why can't really loose pants with big red clown suspenders be in style?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No matter if you are skinny, large or anything in between, clothes that fit well will make you look your best. If your pants are too baggy or too tight you won't look or feel comfortable. If the pant legs are too long, you look sloppy. If the cut of the clothing isn't right for you (baggy butt, too high or low of a rise at the waist) you won't look your best. If shirts are too loose at the collar or baggy you end up looking like a sack.

I see guys your size and weight all the time that look good and stylish, so you can do it. Rarely do they walk around with their shirts hanging out (unless at a resort or beach).

But most guys don't figure all of this out over night. It may take a few trial runs at finding the right combination that best suits you.

You might try getting some pants that fit you well and then finding a local tailor to alter them in a stylish way. The same goes for shirts. Large guys all too often end up with really loose shirts and collars that make them look ten lbs. heavier. A tailor can take in a shirt as well (but not a collar). Look at some of the threads here about what people are wearing and note the fit in the seat, the length, the break and cuff. Discuss this with your tailor. Don't be afraid to get things taken in a bit or shortened a bit more than you are used to. It is the little adjustments that give a fit that is ideal for your build.

Also, consider a nice brown leather belt and matching/similar colored brown leather shoes. Depending upon your style leather drivers are stylish or you can be a bit more dressy and get a nice oxford style cap-toe. Women always notice nice shoes.

Good luck and give yourself some time to try different types and brands of clothing to find the ones that fit and feel the best.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The replies don't seem to get it. He evidently wants a casual style, just not as casual as the Charlie Sheen look. For an example of something better, there is the Orvis website. Pictures, budget, location, etc. are needed to help much more.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Casual means different things to different people.

I regularly wear a sports coat or blazer, long-sleeved button-front shirts and calf shoes when dressing casually.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, but past experience in dealing with such people is that Orvis style is closer to what he means than what the others think he means.

Jack2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 40something
Thanks for the tips (except for jack2000 ... obviously, losing weight we be a good thing, but equally obvious should have been that soliciting that response was not the point of my post). ?
No offense meant. You asked for advice on a new look and I was suggesting that taking care of yourself would go along way toward improving your look. I based this on my own experiences--clothes help, but losing weight made me fell much better than clothes ever did. I do acknowledge that this was not the point of your post and you were asking for advice on clothes so... I agree with the above opinions on avoiding untucked shirts. Also try to go with solid colors or vertical stripes, not checks or plaids. There is some good info here on dealing with body types: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/H...dy%20Types.htm Hope this is more helpful.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also try to go with solid colors or vertical stripes, not checks or plaids.
No, for casual, the opposite probably would be better.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sheen apparently chooses his own wardrobe on that show... which is a bad thing.

You are obese, by the way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads