• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GQ America's Forum Awful?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I'm not so sure I agree. It's no worse, but overall I don't find it better.

Its personal taste, esquire speaks to me more, better written, more practical content. I like Tom Chiarella's stuff.

They are not hugely different, btw.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of beginners may believe this is the GQ forum.
Once they learn it isn't, they are not disappointed.
The SF WAYWRN thread alone here packs more punch in photos, than GQ, DETAILS & Esquire mags combined. It's obvious that the 'writers' for GQ/DETAILS are paying lip service to their sponsors
(and probably getting one hell of a nice free wardrobe in the process, not mentioning other perks)
I agree that without their photos there is little else those mags offer.
We can see better photos and get better and more immediate advice online right here.
As far as the GQ forum online, it just doesn't compete.
Styleforum rules.
AAAC gets my nod for second place, and Fedora Lounge takes 3rd
BTW can anyone recommed any other good english speaking forums online?

blairh

Reaction score
i've been a GQ subscriber for about 9 years (i'm 29). overall i enjoy the magazine and given it's yearly price ($12) it's a no brainer. i just wish the british GQ was cheaper.

but GQ is def going for the 18 - 40 age bracket. just how it is. i am tired of seeing actors jumping in suits, and i do wish it was twice as thick, but i'm content.

kcc

Reaction score
ChicagoJohn;2686020 said:
I get GQ, Details, and Esquire. They're all fairly boring and I subscribe only for the pictures. Across them all, there are some months I literally laugh out loud at how God aweful some of the looks and advice are. ... QUOTE]

Same here, there's an image of a young Sir Alec Guinness (OB1) in GQ's Dec. '09 wearing an incredible heavy tweed overcoat - its worth seeing.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blairh
i've been a GQ subscriber for about 9 years (i'm 29). overall i enjoy the magazine and given it's yearly price ($12) it's a no brainer. i just wish the british GQ was cheaper.

but GQ is def going for the 18 - 40 age bracket. just how it is. i am tired of seeing actors jumping in suits, and i do wish it was twice as thick, but i'm content.

Ha ha, ya thats another annoying point, they photograph the people and the clothes in all these stupid poses and you cant see anything.

I'll take the grainy-ass iphone bathroom at work photos in WAYWRN any day. At least they are standing still.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
GQ in general has become disappointing. Too much emphasis on fashion and trend, not enough on style and quality.

If I ran the magazine, I'd eliminate all the fast paced razzle dazzle and add simple articles on topics like taking care of cashmere, or tie knots, storing sweaters, or what to look for ordering a custom shirt, etc, anything but the stupid tosser articles you see now. Has anyone tried to read that crap recently? Man, talk about boring.

Unfortunately, they are trying to appeal to a younger crowd, that 18 to 35 bs... now that I am 37, I am starting to sense that I am being marginalized. Believe me, its much more about 18 y olds than it is about 35.

Esquire is much better, IMO, but could use a bit less bullshit too.

It's a business. Their advertisers are fashion designers, not bespoke tailors. QED

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
It's a business. Their advertisers are fashion designers, not bespoke tailors. QED

And my subscription is my vote.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
British GQ is far superior in so far as it has some very amusing editorial. Plus Piers Morgans interviews with people like Boris Johnson are always good.

Neither editions are good from a clothes POV.

heli0x

Reaction score
Does anyone here agree that GQ's American website forum is very disappointing?
I think disappointing might just be an understatement.
So I went over and checked the forum, and I felt like my IQ was dropping by the second. I seriously did not think a forum could be so poorly done. Everything from the narrow webspace, the limit on number of topics/posts per page, the amount of spam topics, the amount of spam posts in legit topics, the impossible to navigate interface, no way to put pics in a thread (which may actually be a blessing in disguise). I left after opening a thread and a full page popup add nearly crashed my browser. Seriously, are they even trying? It just makes me appreciate this place even more.
And this is to say nothing of the actual content of the forum (the nonspam of course).

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stopped my subscriptions to the US and UK editions of GQ and Esquire. Then I got GQ sent to me because CN discontinued a few magazines. So I looked at the latest issue and saw the recipe for beef tenderloin. I made it Sunday, DAMN it was good. Perfect guy food and my wife loved it. Now she wants me to make it again for Christmas. The fashion in the issue sucked, but I'm eating very well.

I know this has nothing to do with their Forum, but I have to vent about GQ. I don't think a magazine can survive without totally sucking up to the major advertisers these days. By doing so, GQ misses any opportunity to have a real personality. It feels like one big ad for Lacoste, Hugo Boss and Calvin Klein.

blairh

Reaction score
Appears everyone agrees that GQ is not a great style magazine. With that established, are there any out there? I would imagine Europe has some good ones, but I'm interested in checking out a mag that won't cost a fortune to purchase here in the states. If that exits.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Appears everyone agrees that GQ is not a great style magazine. With that established, are there any out there? I would imagine Europe has some good ones, but I'm interested in checking out a mag that won't cost a fortune to purchase here in the states. If that exits.

Nope, magazines have become like strip mall. Supermarket, hallmark, gap, starbucks, marshalls, blockbuster, mcdonalds. Repeat.

aon

Reaction score
Prior to discovering SF I've been reading GQ and Details. But ever since I've discovered this forum I realized I was wasting money on those magazines. How about a styleforum magazine?
smile.gif

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall reading that SF came about because some people were unhappy with GQ's forum. As for magazines, I like Leon for MC type stuff, Men's Non-No for SW&D stuff.

ApplesHK

Reaction score
Yeah, even British GQ is very disappointing these days. Esquire is better, but The Rake hits them both for six. Holding a copy of The Rake is a joy; that beautiful embossed finish and the articles are very interesting from a style and tailoring point of view.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads