• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GQ America's Forum Awful?

blairh

Reaction score
Does anyone here agree that GQ's American website forum is very disappointing? I'm grateful to have stumbled upon this forum. It's everything GQ's forum is not.

On a related note, does anyone here prefer GQ's British edition over the American one? I'm an American and I enjoy the American GQ, but sometimes I'll purchase the British edition and find it superior in many ways.

Lastly, very surprised the British GQ website doesn't even have a forum section from what I can tell.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blairh
Does anyone here agree that GQ's American website forum is very disappointing? I'm grateful to have stumbled upon this forum. It's everything GQ's forum is not. On a related note, does anyone here prefer GQ's British edition over the American one? I'm an American and I enjoy the American GQ, but sometimes I'll purchase the British edition and find it superior in many ways. Lastly, very surprised the British GQ website doesn't even have a forum section from what I can tell.
GQ in general has become disappointing. Too much emphasis on fashion and trend, not enough on style and quality. If I ran the magazine, I'd eliminate all the fast paced razzle dazzle and add simple articles on topics like taking care of cashmere, or tie knots, storing sweaters, or what to look for ordering a custom shirt, etc, anything but the stupid tosser articles you see now. Has anyone tried to read that crap recently? Man, talk about boring. Unfortunately, they are trying to appeal to a younger crowd, that 18 to 35 bs... now that I am 37, I am starting to sense that I am being marginalized. Believe me, its much more about 18 y olds than it is about 35. Esquire is much better, IMO, but could use a bit less bullshit too.

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Unfortunately, they are trying to appeal to a younger crowd, that 18 to 35 bs... now that I am 37, I am starting to sense that I am being marginalized. Believe me, its much more about 18 y olds than it is about 35.

In defense of the < 35 crowd, we need something to save us from the literary disaster that is Details.

dsgNYC

Reaction score
GQ Forum
1159[1].gif
Styleforum

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blairh
Does anyone here agree that GQ's American website forum is very disappointing? I'm grateful to have stumbled upon this forum. It's everything GQ's forum is not.

On a related note, does anyone here prefer GQ's British edition over the American one? I'm an American and I enjoy the American GQ, but sometimes I'll purchase the British edition and find it superior in many ways.

Lastly, very surprised the British GQ website doesn't even have a forum section from what I can tell.

that is how i found this forum - so i thank them for that.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
In defense of the < 35 crowd, we need something to save us from the literary disaster that is Details.

Are you saying you find the information in GQ stimulating and interesting?

blairh

Reaction score
the new American GQ website is much improved design wise. but the forum is still atrocious. you would think they'd make something easy and fun to use. absolutely not. it's filled with spam topics and honestly a very low reply rate with regards to topics started.

as for the magazine, they have focused way too much print on restaurants and too little on tech. i also am tired of the actresses that they feature on the cover which usually leads to boring articles about them (january jones, olivia wilde, etc).

would like more pages devoted to music, film, tech, less to serious subject matters (unless it's super interesting or important) and food.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't even know they had a forum until recently and it took me a while to find it. After looking at a few things there I think I'll loose it again. Overall the blogs on the web site are OK - worth a quick read from time to time.

On other GQ topics, I got a free subscription about a year ago (I think it's because I opened up a J Crew Card, but I don't really know why) and I have to say I kind of like looking at it. Much of the "style" stuff is clearly aimed at a younger crowd (down vest under a suit coat anyone?), but I do feel it helps me keep up with what the kids are doing these days. I'm 41, by the way.

The good parts are Glenn O'Brian's Style Guy column and, actually, much of the pop culture / celebrity stuff. Again it keeps me in tune. I don't read people or anything else. I also like Alan Richman's food writing, in general. When they picked Sid Mashburn as one of the 10 most stylish men in America it kept me coming back - even though they put Justin Timberlake on the cover of that issue.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
I know GQ is widely lambasted around here, but hey. Some people have to start somewhere right? I'm not ashamed of my subscription.
admittedly, that january jones piece *was* terrible.

Try esquire, its much better.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Try esquire, its much better.

I'm not so sure I agree. It's no worse, but overall I don't find it better.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
I get GQ, Details, and Esquire. They're all fairly boring and I subscribe only for the pictures. Across them all, there are some months I literally laugh out loud at how God aweful some of the looks and advice are.

And the whole &quot;take a picture of me jumping in this suit&quot; schtick is disturbing. Men don't jump in suits. Most men don't jump, period. So why does every issue have some knob jumping around in a too-tight suit??

But yes, you've got to start somewhere. Just make sure you advance past it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads