• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New gap denim

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wrenhunter
I have to disagree with you. I just got the authentic selvage via online order, and also tried the resin rinse in-store. They are similar, but not identical. The selvage looks and feels different to me, worth a few extra bucks, imo.
Hmm... do you think so? To me they feel identical but I'm not a denim buff. Do stores do anything to clothes to soften them up before they're put out on the shelves/racks? In any case, worth a few extra bucks but 40% more?

wrenhunter

Reaction score
I agree the two denims are pretty close, and I'm no expert, either. Instead of 40% more, the way I think about it is around half the price of the next level up (e.g. New Cure). And I can try them on locally.

cancel.sing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wrenhunter
It sure isn't. I'm wearing 32x30's (standard fit, medium wash) that I bought last week.
If you read what I said at all, I said that all waist sizes under 30 come only in a 30 length.

Thrifter

Reaction score
I got the Authentic Selvedge at full price ($110 CAD) about 6 months ago... now they're at my store for $50 plus an additional 40% off. ****.

bob99

Reaction score
Hey Thrifter,

What store is that? Where are you located? I wouldn't mind picking up another pair at those rates
smile.gif

Batistuta

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the skinny selvage ever made it to any of the Vancouver area shops?

Thrifter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bob99
Hey Thrifter,

What store is that? Where are you located? I wouldn't mind picking up another pair at those rates
smile.gif

I'm in Ottawa, saw them at Bayshore last night but they're at all the local malls.

wrenhunter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cancel.sing
If you read what I said at all, I said that all waist sizes under 30 come only in a 30 length.

I quoted you accurately. However, the original comment from ispace:

Originally Posted by ispace
only in 30" inseam if your waist is under 30"

is ambiguous, so it wasn't clear what you meant.

Surfrider

Reaction score
I went into my local Gap to pick up a pair of raw denim to be used as beat-the-****-of-them-without-a-care work jeans, but raw denim was not to be found. The clerks at the joint all got blank looks on their faces when I tried to explain raw denim versus washed denim. After 15 minutes, I left for fear that if I smacked myself on the forehead anymore, I'd leave a flat spot. :p

So, two questions:

1) Does Gap call it's raw denim by another name? Perhaps the clerks didn't know what I was talking about becasue I didn't use Gap's special branded term for raw denim? The website features terms like "dark rinse" and "classic dark blue," but who knows what the **** those words mean to the marketing monkeys at Gap HQ.

2) How does this stuff fade? I've tried searching for images here on the fora, but the four character minimum search string isn't helping. :p

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Only flagship and larger stores seem to have the raw denim. I haven't had mine long enough to know how they fade.

mercer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surfrider
I went into my local Gap to pick up a pair of raw denim to be used as beat-the-****-of-them-without-a-care work jeans, but raw denim was not to be found. The clerks at the joint all got blank looks on their faces when I tried to explain raw denim versus washed denim. After 15 minutes, I left for fear that if I smacked myself on the forehead anymore, I'd leave a flat spot. :p

So, two questions:

1) Does Gap call it's raw denim by another name? Perhaps the clerks didn't know what I was talking about becasue I didn't use Gap's special branded term for raw denim? The website features terms like "dark rinse" and "classic dark blue," but who knows what the **** those words mean to the marketing monkeys at Gap HQ.

2) How does this stuff fade? I've tried searching for images here on the fora, but the four character minimum search string isn't helping. :p

1. The raw selvage denim is known as "elevated rigid" in Gap speak.

2. In my experience, it fades very slowly. I wouldn't purchase them expecting quick fading.

Surfrider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mercer
1. The raw selvage denim is known as "elevated rigid" in Gap speak.
emot-jerkit.gif
Hmm, thanks for the info. I wasn't that pleased with the fit of the other Gap denim I tried on, but I told myself that if it faded appreciably, I'd put up with a less-than-ideal fit. But if the fading properties of their jeans really is is that unimpressive, maybe I'll just suck it up and wear APCs to work. Hmm....

bcx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thrifter
I got the Authentic Selvedge at full price ($110 CAD) about 6 months ago... now they're at my store for $50 plus an additional 40% off. ****.

I went to try on some authentics today. I don't think the current 40% off applies to jeans. Having said that, I think there's a $30 off promo if you spend $100.

If anyone cares here's measurements of the 29x30 Authentics:
waist 30
thigh 10.75
knee 8.25
front rise 10.25
back rise 13.75
hem 8

I didn't buy them.

seany

Reaction score
ima post pics of my Gap Skinnys soon, once I learn how to use comp/camera
1969009-1.jpg
(wallet fade coming in)
1969002-1.jpg
1969007.jpg
1969004.jpg
1969005.jpg
This is about a month of wear, not everyday though. About three days of week of a lot of sitting and walking. Sorry if pics are too big.

bcx

Reaction score
Are the Standards in Canada? I didn't see them at the store I went to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads