• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

legal rights to a 'found' item

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lets say I found something in a parking lot where there was no reasonable way to associate the item with a particular store. a mall parking lot for example, or a vacant building. What are my rights to the item? Finders Keepers? now, what if there is a way to track the item, both forward and reverse, and say down the line someone comes looking for it?

I found an Ipod in a parking lot, but before I plug it into itunes, I want to know if its mine if they use itunes to track it back?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would assume that if there is no way to trace the item and no one claims it then finder's keepers.

However, even if the item is legally yours and they can use iTunes to track it (I don't think this is possible although I know the iPhone has some kind of tracking; possibly through an app) then it would be a dick move to keep it.

It still burns me to this day that I didn't get so much as a thank you (ungrateful bastards) that a couple years ago I found a wallet in the parking lot with several hundred dollars in it and drove a couple miles out of my way to return it. Was near to Christmas and was snowing which annoys me even more however I still do it if ever in such a situation again.

Obviously not the same scenario but I think the principle of the matter still holds. What if it were your iPod and you were able to trace it and the person says "Finders keepers. Too bad, so sad."

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ig you are worried abotu it being tracked by big brother though i doubt he can yet. proepar everyting and whe you are abotu plug in the ipod simply take ou computer off the internet load the soang files etc and do nto charge it from your computer. thoseactiosn should stop big brother from findign you.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
I would assume that if there is no way to trace the item and no one claims it then finder's keepers.

However, even if the item is legally yours and they can use iTunes to track it (I don't think this is possible although I know the iPhone has some kind of tracking; possibly through an app) then it would be a dick move to keep it.

It still burns me to this day that I didn't get so much as a thank you (ungrateful bastards) that a couple years ago I found a wallet in the parking lot with several hundred dollars in it and drove a couple miles out of my way to return it. Was near to Christmas and was snowing which annoys me even more however I still do it if ever in such a situation again.

Obviously not the same scenario but I think the principle of the matter still holds. What if it were your iPod and you were able to trace it and the person says "Finders keepers. Too bad, so sad."

Jumbie - well put. Sometimes I am a bad person. Not sure what I will do. I have been reading up on this particular issue, and it seems that Apple which is the only person with the ability to look up Ipod ownership (and then only if it was either a) registered or b) used to purchase on itunes), is notorious for not helping people (why should they, you will go buy a new device). I will contemplate this over the weekend before doing anything with it.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bring it to the police as a found item. If it goes unclaimed it is yours.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found on public property - a found item that has been unintentionally lost/dropped/etc belongs first to the original/true owner that misplaced it, and second to the finder. If it is traceable or if you can find the original/true owner, you should return it to them. You should probably bring it to the police, as suggested above. If unclaimed, it may become yours.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
Bring it to the police as a found item. If it goes unclaimed it is yours.

lol. Yeah right. Cop gets a new iPod, and you don't even get a thank you.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie

you did the right thing. i dont know if this helps and im sure you already know , but not because they are class people, but because you are, no matter what their classless responses would be to you, thanks or no thanks. dont let it burn you. im sure your kid or nephew or someone would take that story and grow from it and think
worship.gif
of you.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ cheers

I didn't do it for the thanks. I guess I just sort of expected it and can't get over the fact that someone wouldn't have the courtesy to say thank you to a complete stranger who did them a good deed.

bigboy

Reaction score
Usually these things can be traced back to the rightful owner using DNA fingerprinting analysis.

What do you need with a used condom anyway?

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have returned 2 handphones, 1 blackberry in the past 3 years.

Its the bloody right thing to do! **** you bitches who don't return handphones when you find them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics